Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 40 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry, I meant when the big used selloff starts.
I know this is going to sound nonsensical, but I see the bargains due to the "GPU flood", entirely on the used side. I don't think that they will budge new prices much, because to (most? some?) people, new versus used is like apples and oranges. Thus "new" products will likely hold to MSRP, save for maybe a $15-20 "customer incentive rebate" here and there.

Any significant discounts on new GPUs will occur due to fire-sales clearing out the prior generation of cards, when the next-gen arrives.

Edit: That's a nice way to say, people expecting Newegg to sell brand-new 3080ti cards for $300 during the flood, are just deluding themselves. Set your expectations realistically, and you can find some (used) bargains during the Flood. Set them unrealistically, and you'll miss your chance to score a bargain, and might as well get into some street-brawls with scalpers outside a B.B. for a next-gen (4000-series) card.

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I know this is going to sound nonsensical, but I see the bargains due to the "GPU flood", entirely on the used side. I don't think that they will budge new prices much, because to (most? some?) people, new versus used is like apples and oranges. Thus "new" products will likely hold to MSRP, save for maybe a $15-20 "customer incentive rebate" here and there.

Any significant discounts on new GPUs will occur due to fire-sales clearing out the prior generation of cards, when the next-gen arrives.

Edit: That's a nice way to say, people expecting Newegg to sell brand-new 3080ti cards for $300 during the flood, are just deluding themselves. Set your expectations realistically, and you can find some (used) bargains during the Flood. Set them unrealistically, and you'll miss your chance to score a bargain, and might as well get into some street-brawls with scalpers outside a B.B. for a next-gen (4000-series) card.

It's gotta have some effect on the new market. I'm not expecting anything close to a 2014 like effect though where R9 290 dropped to $200 to $230 and Nvidia had to release the GTX 970 at $330 when the GTX 770 dropped at $400 though.

I remember wanting to buy an R9 280 that year for like $260 but by the time I was ready to spend R9 290 was $230 but decided to drop the $330 on a GTX 970 instead since it had R9 290x performance and I really wanted Far Cry 4 badly, which came bundled.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigboxes and Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Set them unrealistically, and you'll miss your chance to score a bargain, and might as well get into some street-brawls with scalpers outside a B.B. for a next-gen (4000-series) card.

Someone needs to setup a 1%er GPU club, just like those violent motorcycle clubs, but for GPUs.

Shootouts in front of Best Buy would make for truly dystopian headlines!

• Haha
Reactions: psolord

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Radeon 6000 series below MSRP, incl the recently refreshed 6950xt.

A lot of cards are still over MSRP. We aren't there yet. Most cryptobros in the US are making modest profit still. They have to break even, then go into the red before the flood will really hit hard. Here's to hoping Nvidia goes for another huge price hike with the 4000 series and the market conditions cause their launch to fail spectacularly.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
It will take a bit before people change their mindset on GPU value. Just a couple months ago a 3080 was over $2000. There has to be a lot of cryptobros who filled their basement with those things at inflated prices, never made their money back and now can't turn on the rig without losing money. They will list them at the highest price possible, and they will sell none.

Yeah and that creates a perfect setup for a massive panic sale, when prices keep dropping and these sellers go from a 'can wait' to a 'have to sell now' mindset.

Meanwhile, I will HODL on to my current GPU.

Reactions: moonbogg and Leeea

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
What happens if supply is not an issue?

Samsung Electronics is temporarily halting new procurement orders and asking multiple suppliers to delay or reduce shipments of components and parts for several weeks due to swelling inventories and global inflation concerns, sources have told Nikkei Asia

Jul 27, 2020
The notification by the South Korean tech titan applies to components for multiple key product lines, including TVs, home appliances and smartphones, four people familiar with the situation said, and the postponement of orders involves a wide range of components across chips, electronics parts and final product packages.

How is this relevant to GPUs?

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
How is this relevant to GPUs?
Silicon?

Samsung is the biggest chip producer in the world. I would think this is industry wide. What happens if many start reducing orders.? We go from a shortage of wafers to an excess. Only a few % points can swing prices dramatically. What happens if, for example, TSMC sees 5nm smartphone chip production fall by say 20%? Will they keep prices as high as now? Will AMD be able to fab as much as they can sell? Will they keep MSRP constant if they are no longer supply constrained? Maybe demand will explode? I don't know, and am sure no one else does. Prices next gen? ???????????????

Reactions: amenx and Leeea
Jul 27, 2020
Does SLI/Crossfire work with raytracing / DX12 Ultimate / Vulkan? If the GPU flood does come as predicted, I would love to slap together two graphics cards for better performance rather than buy an expensive nextgen GPU.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Does SLI/Crossfire work with raytracing / DX12 Ultimate / Vulkan? If the GPU flood does come as predicted, I would love to slap together two graphics cards for better performance rather than buy an expensive nextgen GPU.
Of course it works, just expect to maybe spend your time cussing rather than playing. Oh, you meant works well?

Jul 27, 2020
Of course it works, just expect to maybe spend your time cussing rather than playing. Oh, you meant works well?
Any specific problems you can mention? I heard tearing is one and some games exhibiting graphical anomalies. Any others? Do games need to be SLI/Crossfire-aware?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Any specific problems you can mention? I heard tearing is one and some games exhibiting graphical anomalies. Any others? Do games need to be SLI/Crossfire-aware?
I just remember building a Crossfire dual-HD6850 rig for a relative. Nothing but trouble. BSOD from AMD driver when starting whatever the then-current version of Civ. Not only was it "unsupported", but even having it enabled in the system would cause a kernel crash. And back then, I think that you had to reboot your PC to enable/disable Crossfire, too, because it would re-configure from one video driver to two.

Multi-GPU (for gaming) is dead to me. Although, multi-GPU for mining is just fine.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
All of the above and then some. VirtualLarry has a good post.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
No, other than to me it looks like AMD is losing hundreds of millions, if not billion+ a quarter just from not being able to supply Epyc demand.
I don't doubt you, but this is not unlimited demand. Server demand is ultimately tied to the wider economy, just like everything else. It's like a CEO saying we'll be fine, when everything all around is crashing. A few months at most to be clear.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I just remember building a Crossfire dual-HD6850 rig for a relative. Nothing but trouble. BSOD from AMD driver when starting whatever the then-current version of Civ. Not only was it "unsupported", but even having it enabled in the system would cause a kernel crash. And back then, I think that you had to reboot your PC to enable/disable Crossfire, too, because it would re-configure from one video driver to two.

Multi-GPU (for gaming) is dead to me. Although, multi-GPU for mining is just fine.

LOL and that was when multi gpu was an order of magnitude better supported than it is now.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
My hope is that prices get so low I can pick up both an NV and AMD card, run both simultaneously, and then head to the forums to complain about both without having to lie about owning either.

My 6700XT/3070 system... And I'll toss a 5700 with an x570 chipset in there for good measure.

Luckiest system ever.