Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 148 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Thank you for the more clear explanation. Makes sense.

Lisa Su should not have got involved personally though imo. Especially with the way this particular startup founder is acting publicly.

The last card I bought before this 7900xtx (hopefully legit) was a GTX 780 new. Then a OG Titan used.

The guy does not have the best background for any major corporations looking to work with him.

As a follow-up to the AMD/Tiny drama, George (Founder/CEO) now says that RDNA3 cards are out of their product solution due to the bugs they've encountered unless AMD opens up their firmware by the end of the week. Good luck with that, lol.

Instead they'll move on to using Intel ARC (which he's already said are too slow) or NV RTX (which I'm pretty sure will get him a cease and desist letter from NV).

George seems like a really intelligent guy but also seems to thoroughly overestimate his own abilities and also fully embodies the Silicon Valley model of move fast and break things (and forget about any possible consequences). The problem is, that model is pretty much dead at this point (for good reason) and this is especially true once you get hardware involved and severely true when people's health is at risk (see Theranos). As a background, he founded a failed start up for a self-driving car technology company which sought to spread self driving functionality to all. He made a lot of progress, but once the rubber hit the road (literally and figuratively), it didn't go so well. After that venture didn't work out, he pivoted to Tiny Corp (with a very short stop at Twitter in between) with promises to revolutionize AI for the masses.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
The guy does not have the best background for any major corporations looking to work with him.

As a follow-up to the AMD/Tiny drama, George (Founder/CEO) now says that RDNA3 cards are out of their product solution due to the bugs they've encountered unless AMD opens up their firmware by the end of the week. Good luck with that, lol.

Instead they'll move on to using Intel ARC (which he's already said are too slow) or NV RTX (which I'm pretty sure will get him a cease and desist letter from NV).

George seems like a really intelligent guy but also seems to thoroughly overestimate his own abilities and also fully embodies the Silicon Valley model of move fast and break things (and forget about any possible consequences). The problem is, that model is pretty much dead at this point (for good reason) and this is especially true once you get hardware involved and severely true when people's health is at risk (see Theranos). As a background, he founded a failed start up for a self-driving car technology company which sought to spread self driving functionality to all. He made a lot of progress, but once the rubber hit the road (literally and figuratively), it didn't go so well. After that venture didn't work out, he pivoted to Tiny Corp (with a very short stop at Twitter in between) with promises to revolutionize AI for the masses.

So to you, does he sound like a get rich quick scheme kind of guy?

i know others have shot me down on this, but he's using cheapest possible solution to make a maybe affordable product to small business, but for sure not individuals. I can't drop 15k on a small server of 6 gpus that cost at most 10k.

Just sounds like a douche to me.

Jul 27, 2020
George seems like a really intelligent guy
He has a knack for getting in trouble with companies/authorities. He's the guy who hacked the PS3 after it was claimed that it was too "secure by design" by just about everyone. Of course, Sony made him regret it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Tlh97

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
So to you, does he sound like a get rich quick scheme kind of guy?

i know others have shot me down on this, but he's using cheapest possible solution to make a maybe affordable product to small business, but for sure not individuals. I can't drop 15k on a small server of 6 gpus that cost at most 10k.

Just sounds like a douche to me.

I don’t think he’s a get rich quick scheme type. I just think he doesn’t have the experience to realize that fully bringing a product/solution to market is a difficult thing and that those that have come before him were really smart too but faced obstacles he isn’t aware of that made the products take how long they took and look like how they are today.

I see it a lot with new grad engineers, they come in fresh from a bunch of theory learning and lab research type experience and have no appreciation for all the extra work, understanding, and practices that it takes to go from it works on paper (or in a lab/demo setting) to something that actually works in volume and in a way that lots of people are going to want.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I don’t think he’s a get rich quick scheme type. I just think he doesn’t have the experience to realize that fully bringing a product/solution to market is a difficult thing and that those that have come before him were really smart too but faced obstacles he isn’t aware of that made the products take how long they took and look like how they are today.

I see it a lot with new grad engineers, they come in fresh from a bunch of theory learning and lab research type experience and have no appreciation for all the extra work, understanding, and practices that it takes to go from it works on paper (or in a lab/demo setting) to something that actually works in volume and in a way that lots of people are going to want.

Been that guy on the IT side. It’s so easy to be that smug smartest guy in the room when you show up, having made none of the compromises that the folks there have had to worry about, fight with each other about, and have restless nights of sleep about. You show up and you can see all the duct tape and baling wire holding the stuff together and you point and laugh. Stay long enough you find yourself upgrading the tape, shifting things around to fit better, and having to make some hard decisions or worse play the politics game and all of sudden you find yourself in ownership of the big ugly thing too.

Then the new kid comes in, points and laughs and you get both offended because that’s your hard fought solution that is working better than it has any right to and also amused because they are so clueless to their own naïveté.

Jul 27, 2020

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
@igor_kavinski

1060: $200/$250
2060: $350 !!
3060: $329
4060: $300

You need to factor in the prices (and VRAM) to actually understand what the price/performance of each gen was and why certain generations were not so popular.
Yeah, the successor to the $250 1060 6GB was really the $280 1660 Ti. Sub that in instead and (using TPU's numbers) at 1080p you get the 1060 6GB at 100%, 1660 Ti at 137% (+37% gen on gen), 3060 at 192% (+40%g/g), and 4060 at 228% (+18.5%g/g).

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Yeah, the successor to the $250 1060 6GB was really the $280 1660 Ti. Sub that in instead and (using TPU's numbers) at 1080p you get the 1060 6GB at 100%, 1660 Ti at 137% (+37% gen on gen), 3060 at 192% (+40%g/g), and 4060 at 228% (+18.5%g/g).
You have to start factoring in the decreased bus size. All were 192bit and are now 128bit. 64bit bus is around the corner.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Perhaps they'll switch to a serial bus like USB has, in the future. So then it will just be one bit per VRAM module.

So an 8 module card would then have only an 8 bit bus!

(Although USB can run multiple data streams in parallel, so USB has become a Universal Serial Bus In Parallel.)

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Might be a pricing error though. It would make more sense if the intended price was 610 euro.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I don't think so. In the UAE, the Sapphire Pure White 7900 GRE is selling for $90 less than some 7800 XT models.
Well that's AMD's fault for not pulling an Intel: renaming it to Golden Dragon Edition, updating the box art, and making no other changes.

Currently in the U.S. you can get about 10% off many GPUs (max $100 discount) if you pay with Zip.co on Newegg. Here's the splash page:

There is a built-in $6 finance charge, but these are rough prices before sales tax:
XFX RX 6800 - $340
ASUS 4070 Super - $534

IIRC you cannot apply both the Zip promo code and a product-specific promo code. So it makes sense to target this payment promo to items that are already discounted. In the past, there were some restrictions on qualifying items so YMMV. You must checkout with Zip.co to use the promo AND you shouldn't wait too long if you need something. Last week, the promo code was 16% off I believe, but it died within one day (i.e. there's limited funding available).

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Interesting will this affect on cards price?
not really, the stock dropped by 20% after a 700% rise. They're still doing great.
I will argue yes.

The high margin that Nvidia is obtaining on AI GPUs is the exact reason why "(Meta, Amazon, OpenAI, Microsoft, Google, etc)" can pursue independent AI chip development. In other words, Nvidia chasing after margin seeds the conditions that destroy margin. The end result will be lower prices, just not tomorrow.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Interesting will this affect on cards price?

This is probably just because investors are recognizing that these profit margins won't last forever and that they overpaid for the stock as a result.

For now Nvidia is still raking in the dough and is still going to focus on AI until the AI market either crashes or at least until demand for AI card stabilizes.

Reactions: Tlh97 and SteinFG

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
They either a). aren't selling products direct to consumers and/or b). are possibly helping larger orgs design their own in-house hardware.
Both, at least that's what they claimed they were doing a while ago. They have their own product but are also developing all kinds of IP for clients looking to integrate this type of computation.

They hired Raja Koduri so maybe they are doomed?
I got the impression they are working with engineering tems from India, that would make Raja a probable good catalyst and bridge between the engineers and upper management. For all we know, Raja fails the PR and marketing game, not the engineering game. Also, I would not blame him for the results in Intel, that was a "they" failure and not a "him" failure.