Are there any professions with as much vacation time as teachers?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Koenigsegg
I can't imagine life without summer vacation, spring break, or extended winter vacations..

If you can be happy with the national average salary of $47k a year, you are all set...

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: spacejamz
I can't imagine life without summer vacation, spring break, or extended winter vacations..

If you can be happy with the national average salary of $47k a year, you are all set...

just depends on where you live: @ 47K, you're making some good sh!t around here.

cjgallen

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2003
Teachers are only paid for the time they work. They aren't paid for spring break or summer vacation. Their salarlies are only spread out to 12 months, even though they don't work all 12.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
So by the above logic we learn they make 47,000 for nine months work.

Sounds pretty sweet to me.

---------------------------
Military has 30 days a year, paid.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: cjgallen
Teachers are only paid for the time they work. They aren't paid for spring break or summer vacation.

yup.

I know a bunch of teachers... very few can afford to actually go three months in the summer without working unless they're living off their spouse.

most of my college friends who became teachers either teach summer school or get retail jobs.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
small buisness owner....

grow it into a medium buisness and depending on how you set up your management heirarchy, you can literally make managing it a vacation in itself....

owner of my last company spent more than half of the year on frivilous trips to china, australia and around the country

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Don't H&R Block employees work only for part of the year and are still considered full time?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
UPS drivers.

work for the Govt

work for a community, specifically one that requires you to plow roads.

Const. can give you a few weeks off in the winter.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
$47k is the national average...where you live determines the average in your area...

SD was the lowest at $33k per year...

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
My mom is a teacher, trust me, she does not get paid for summer vacation or holidays such as spring break etc. That is not time off, its time unemployed.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: shortylickens
So by the above logic we learn they make 47,000 for nine months work.

Sounds pretty sweet to me.

---------------------------
Military has 30 days a year, paid.

Teachers also work some absurd hours during those nine months, especially when you include grading and class preparation before and after school.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Here is table of the 2002-2003 average salaries by state...

the other 'weird' thing about teachers' pay is that they get paid once a month...you would be SOL if your budgeting skills are not good...

my friend's wife was going to take an accounting job with the school district...they told her should be be making $xxx per month. She multiplied that by 12 instead of 9. When she finally realized that in orientation, she didn't take the job.

Granted the district should have just said the flat annual salary, but then again, she should clarified the annual amount (I would have)....

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
You realise that teachers work 70-80 hours a week during school, right?

ZV

MrCodeDude

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

ZV
:confused:

My Calc AP teacher told me how easy it is to be a teacher, especially with AP classes. You work hard your first year because you write your tests and the lesson plans. Then you just do the same thing every year except with the tests, you change the #'s around. And we corrected stuff in class. He had two aids this year, so they corrected the homework. The only thing he corrected himself was the Final Exams.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Landscapers.

Many of them will work from Spring to Fall and have a fine time claiming unemployment in the winter.

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

ZV

Thats such a general statement and sounds like BS.......

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: acemcmac
small buisness owner....

grow it into a medium buisness and depending on how you set up your management heirarchy, you can literally make managing it a vacation in itself....

owner of my last company spent more than half of the year on frivilous trips to china, australia and around the country

my dad was at work less than 4 hours a week for 8 months straight last year building his house on the river, did all of the work he could himself because...well...hes a perfectionist and a workaholic, and doesnt actually have things to do *at* work other than keep up with a few bills and make a weekly deposit.

Originally posted by: Jassi
Don't H&R Block employees work only for part of the year and are still considered full time?

i know a guy who manages the local H&R block, busy as hell january til april, and the rest of the year is easygoing and lives quite comfortably.

another guy i know, one of my fathers friends, does coast to coast transport and home improvement/construction. my dad said just on his transport, he makes 50-75k in the first 4 months of the year, and then just hussles home improvement stuff casually the rest of the time. he spent 4 years building his 4500 sq ft home off cash, lives in it debt free, age 47, making at least 100k+ year.