Are there any professions with as much vacation time as teachers?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: wiredspider
airline pilots, according to my econ prof they can only fly 1000 hours a year

One company I worked had a contract with Air Jamaica. I would fly for 3 days from Chicago to Jamaica. In those three days my flight time would equal 27 hours. Since you could only fly 30 hours in 7 days, I was done. Plus there was a 100 hour limit for the month. So that meant I only worked 9 days a month.

On the flip side, I flew for a cargo company and flew maybe 45 minutes to 1.5 hour legs. We sat on the ground from 12a.m. to 5 a.m. while cargo was being sorted. Then the 45 minute to 1.5 hour leg back. We were paid a minimum of 65 hours/month. Working for that company I never flew over my minimum but "worked" many more days away from home since I never broke the 100/month rule.

Its all relative.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I don't know if it's been said, but Income Tax advisors and such only work like 2 months out of the year, right?

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Good information here :)

I know in my HS all my teachers just used the same class schedules year after year, so it became little to no work after they wrote the plans on Year 1. Also, we grades e/o's papers quite often. Made sense to me; I'd save myself the work if I could as well.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Teachers do get a lot of vacation but they also work their asses off during school year. My mom is a math teacher. She leaves house early every morning and comes home around 3. Then she spends on average 2-3 every day (more during exam weeks) grading papers, devising plans for next class etc. It's a very tough preffesion.

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: Argo
Teachers do get a lot of vacation but they also work their asses off during school year. My mom is a math teacher. She leaves house early every morning and comes home around 3. Then she spends on average 2-3 every day (more during exam weeks) grading papers, devising plans for next class etc. It's a very tough preffesion.

profession.

My wife is a PE and math teacher at a private school. In this area, public teachers are paid more than private school teachers.