Apple v. Samsung Jury Decision.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
While Samsung did rip off the iPhone 3 pretty blatantly with some of their phone hardware and software, using the general public as a measure of anything isn't the best idea. A lot of people are willfully ignorant.

I can't wait for the upcoming trial with Kleenex suing Puffs because a significant portion of the population refers to Puffs as Kleenex which dilutes Kleenex's brand and costs them money.

Pretty sure Kleenex already tried to do that years ago and lost

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Some of the stuff doesn't make sense. I dno what the patent in question is about, but example for one of them the Captivate was found to not infringe on the patent, but the Mezmorize, Fascinate, etc were? They were all the same phone Galaxy S but for different carriers.

Yeah this seems somewhat mind boggling

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I am not surprised that Apple won - however, I did not expect a billion dollar judgment. I expected more of a slap on the wrist "don't do that any more" type of thing...

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Was the jury full of your typical numbnuts who are incapable of understanding the technology? I am not saying they made the right or wrong decision, just that they might not be able to understand it.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
And we're back.

4:53:13 PM PDT
The jury appears to have awarded damages for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE infringing — $219,694 worth — but didn't find that it had actually infringed anything.

4:50:33 PM PDT
Judge Koh is back in the courtroom. There are at least two problems with the verdict form.

Numbnuts indeed.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Was the jury full of your typical numbnuts who are incapable of understanding the technology? I am not saying they made the right or wrong decision, just that they might not be able to understand it.

No, they seem remarkably well educated for a random collection of strangers:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57499944-37/how-qualified-is-the-apple-samsung-jury-we-found-out/

Court transcripts indicate that this is largely an educated jury. Six graduated from college and three earned graduate degrees. Two other members spent some time in college without earning a degree.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
And we're back.

4:53:13 PM PDT
The jury appears to have awarded damages for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE infringing — $219,694 worth — but didn't find that it had actually infringed anything.

lol this is fing comical

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
A buddy of mine sent this to me:

12.07.26-Apple-1.png

MotionMan

Feb 19, 2001
yes and only 1 of those really looks like an iphone

i think you can always point out differences, but that's not the point. it's whether those differences are enough to set the devices truly apart.

imitation doesn't have to be a 100% copy paste. it's just like plagiarism in school. even if you are copying the spirit of the language, that IS plagiarism. you need to cite.

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
The jury disagreed with you. ;)

MotionMan

Stop with the bait.

And im not surprised at the verdict given the judges "trackrecord", her handpicked jurors and an "hometown" advantage. Things would have looked much different if someone like Judge Richard Posner was there in place of Koh.

I guess this will drag out alot longer with appeals over appeals :D

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Was it this ruling that showed us this? Or is it because Apple won?

The ruling. I would say the same thing if this was a lawsuit between any two tech companies. Granting patents for vague and obvious parts of technology only serve to stifle development and put design decisions in the hands of lawyers instead of engineers.

In the end, the customer loses.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
Stop with the bait.

And im not surprised at the verdict given the judges "trackrecord", her handpicked jurors and an "hometown" advantage. Things would have looked much different if someone like Judge Richard Posner was there in place of Koh.

I hate Apple more than most but Samsung blatantly copied the iPhone hardware and software and they should have been nailed for that for those specific phones. Some of the other software stuff seems really stupid, though.

5:24:58 PM PDT
So, just to be clear, when faced with 700 decisions the jury was good to go. But when faced with two decisions, they need some guidance.

5:24:35 PM PDT
Judge Koh reads a note from the jury. They've asked they be sent down which inconsistencies they are deliberating on.

Yup, numbnuts.

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Stop with the bait.

Please do explain how a judge picks a jury.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
What does this mean for us?
Do we have to surrender our new SGS3's?
No more new Andriod phones?
Samsung stock tanks?
I have to get the iPhone 5 now?