Apple v. Samsung Jury Decision.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
All of Apple patents were found to be valid.

Jury has decided that Samsung's actions diluted the value of the 3GS. Mark that one triple ouch. Apple's lawyers have got to be dancing in the isles by now.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
This is pretty much to be expected, after Apple got their smoking guns into evidence (internal Samsung memos/e-mails and Google's e-mails to Samsung). Samsung knew it too, as they spent the last days of the trial trying to minimize damages. Whatever Apple was asking for in settlement, it must have been really insane for Samsung to turn it down and have to go in knowing they'd get an unfavorable verdict.

Feb 19, 2001
This ruling shows how ridiculous the US carriers are.

4:00:45 PM PDT
STA: Yes for Fascinate, Galaxy S 4G, Showcase, Mesmerize, Vibrant. No for Captivate, Droid Charge, Epic 4G, Galaxy Prevail S2 ATT, S2 Tmobile, Epic 4G Touch, Skyrocket, and Infuse 4G.
4:00:06 PM PDT
No for Captive, Droid Charge, Epic 4G, S2, Epic 4G Touch, Skyrocket, Infuse 4G
3:59:39 PM PDT
Yes on Fascinate, i9000, Galaxy S 4G, Showcase, Mesmerize, Vibrant.

All the bolded represent idiotic phones made only for the US. How much of a marketshare does that represent? Meanwhile the i9000 and i9100 represent how much of the Samsung Android marketshare?

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
$1 billion in damages. Half of what Apple asked.. guess it's not all bad for Samsung heh.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
This is pretty much to be expected, after Apple got their smoking guns into evidence (internal Samsung memos/e-mails and Google's e-mails to Samsung). Samsung knew it too, as they spent the last days of the trial trying to minimize damages. Whatever Apple was asking for in settlement, it must have been really insane for Samsung to turn it down and have to go in knowing they'd get an unfavorable verdict.

How the hell did they get internal memos/google emails and were able to present these as valid evidence that were permissible in court?

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Samsung has been copying competitors for years. Samsung is a giant and it took another giant to do something about it.

Honestly, I think this will result into more innovation on Samsung's part.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
And Apple share price hits a record high.

Wondering what injunctive relief there will be.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Wow, samsung didnt win ANYTHING in its countersuit. Wow

Next up: Queue all the apologists talking about the 'crappy lawyers' Samsung hired.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
How the hell did they get internal memos/google emails and were able to present these as valid evidence that were permissible in court?
My guess is that they were able to bring it in on cross-examination as impeachment evidence. I recall one of Samsung's witnesses started talking about the Samsung "crisis of design" e-mail (probably a tactical mistake) and Apple's attorney was able to bring it in at that point.

EDIT: Actually I was way off (probably thinking of something else). Here's the AllThingsD article talking about the memo getting into evidence: http://allthingsd.com/20120806/iphone-caused-crisis-of-design-at-samsung-memo/

Last edited:

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Wow, samsung didnt win ANYTHING in its countersuit. Wow

Next up: Queue all the apologists talking about the 'crappy lawyers' Samsung hired.

Nah, it will be the the judge was on Apple's side and wouldn't let Samsung present their evidence.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
From the Mercury News live updates:

As Samsung's attorneys peruse the verdict form, I see one of those bubbles over their heads that reads: "We'll see what the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals has to say about this"

Yup, sounds about right.

cheezy321

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2003
Of course Samsung is going to appeal this. They will drag it out as long as possible. Apple would do the same if it lost.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
You know, I thought all these claims about Samsung taking Apple's design ideas was bullshit... but I have a Samsung slate and every single person at first glance thinks it's an ipad. Applying what "general public" goggles I may have, I guess I get it.

Sheep

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2006
You know, I thought all these claims about Samsung taking Apple's design ideas was bullshit... but I have a Samsung slate and every single person at first glance thinks it's an ipad. Applying what "general public" goggles I may have, I guess I get it.

While Samsung did rip off the iPhone 3 pretty blatantly with some of their phone hardware and software, using the general public as a measure of anything isn't the best idea. A lot of people are willfully ignorant.

I can't wait for the upcoming trial with Kleenex suing Puffs because a significant portion of the population refers to Puffs as Kleenex which dilutes Kleenex's brand and costs them money.