Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Awesome. The coolest feature shown thus far is a camera feature. And it isn't even available at launch but will be released via a software update later in the year.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Wow that dongle is more horrendous than I could have ever imagined. No way to listen and charge simultanouesly. Good job Apple!

Also...

"The reason to move on: courage. The courage to move on and do something new that betters all of us." Definitely not profit.

Reactions: Megatomic

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Well, at least they are including both lightning EarPods and the adapter dongle in the box.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
It's really obvious now why they removed the headphone jack, right? They sure are spending a lot of time pimping out these new headphones. Think they've spent as much time on this as they did Mario.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
I heard no mention of BlueTooth in all that. So I'm guessing the AirPods are totally proprietary and won't work with anything but an iPhone 7.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Mario on iOS? Look at all of those flying pigs out the window...

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
I heard no mention of BlueTooth in all that. So I'm guessing the AirPods are totally proprietary and won't work with anything but an iPhone 7.

I was listening pretty closely, they said all your Apple devices, so we'll see if that was true.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Omg seriously how many times do they need to keep repeating the few "advances" of this thing. It's worse than watching a car salesman trying to get you to buy.

I'm sorry but this event is borderline disgusting. I've been using these since the 3G but I'm sick and tired of the smoke and mirrors.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I was listening pretty closely, they said all your Apple devices, so we'll see if that was true.
I'm not switching back to iPhone, so it doesn't affect me.
However, this type of proprietary technology move is circa 1990s Apple. It just never works out because it almost guarantees the new tech, no matter how great it is, never becomes ubiquitous (not the W1, but the compatible accessories).

Very few people will care if the only accessories you can buy are AirPods and Beats wireless headphones. Even if they license the protocols to 3rd party accessories makers, that could still relegate it to niche status.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Very few people will care if the only accessories you can buy are AirPods and Beats wireless headphones. Even if they license the protocols to 3rd party accessories makers, that could still relegate it to niche status.

The phone does still support BlueTooth, so there's those. I'm not interested in AirPods at $159.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
One more thing:

We were just joking about the headphone jack! /noogie

Now I guess we'll eventually learn if I'm being an old "get off my lawn" geezer or not. But it seems obvious that this isn't about promoting some new technological advancement. It seems to be promoting profit through sales of additional proprietary technologies. The only difference is that, in my opinion, Apple went too far and removed something people actually value and replaced it with something of significant cost. We'll see how it plays out.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
It's a wrap. Still debating the 6S vs 7. At least with the included EarPods I wouldn't have to buy a new headphone.

Come join me in the Sony thread. :)

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
One more thing:

We were just joking about the headphone jack! /noogie

Now I guess we'll eventually learn if I'm being an old "get off my lawn" geezer or not. But it seems obvious that this isn't about promoting some new technological advancement. It seems to be promoting profit through sales of additional proprietary technologies. The only difference is that, in my opinion, Apple went too far and removed something people actually value and replaced it with something of significant cost. We'll see how it plays out.

If you're going to go full waterproof & full wireless for audio...why not go fully enclosed? Remove the Lightning port. Wireless charging only.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
@Fingolfin269 It's been said that everything Apple does under Tim Cook is about profit. Steve Jobs rarely cared what Wall Street thought about "his" company. Notice that the price of the 7 Plus was edged up $20. They should have just bumped the base price to $799 if they're trying to rake in more money. :D

The phone does still support BlueTooth, so there's those. I'm not interested in AirPods at $159.
I don't mean that Apple won't support BT. But that the new wireless technology is doomed to fail in the marketplace if it's proprietary.

IMO wireless audio isn't quite high-volume enough for Apple to single-handedly create a popular new standard if it only works on their devices.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It's a wrap. Still debating the 6S vs 7. At least with the included EarPods I wouldn't have to buy a new headphone.

Come join me in the Sony thread. :)

I'm trying to figure out if I want an Apple Watch 2 (for fitness). Fitbit just released their new Charge 2 for $149...has sleep-tracking, auto-activity tracking, heartrate monitoring, etc. Don't really know if I'd ever used the smartwatch features, but waterproofing for swimming would be nice!

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I'm trying to figure out if I want an Apple Watch 2 (for fitness). Fitbit just released their new Charge 2 for $149...has sleep-tracking, auto-activity tracking, heartrate monitoring, etc. Don't really know if I'd ever used the smartwatch features, but waterproofing for swimming would be nice!

Well, there something to think about in regards to using a smart watch for things like sleep tracking. Even my Samsung Gear S2 which is considered to have better than average battery life needs to be charge at least every other day. Generally you are going to do that at night while you are sleeping, thus sleep tracking is nothing more than a gimmick.

I believe you are better off getting something made for fitness tracking if that's what you are after. They are not only cheaper but they are better at it. When I am running my Samsung sits on the shelf and my Garmin gets used.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Very interested in the AirPods. I'd probably never get them but I like the look and idea. Curious how they charge.