Apple bans woman who proves data recovery possible

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
So the woman (who was a molecular biologist) repaired her I-phone and then started a business repairng them and recovering data. Apple's take was "if it's been in water it's done for, no recovery possible". The woman offered advise and proof on the Apple community support forum, (no she didn't link to her shop or break any rules) and she was BANNED for life, seems Apple is much more interested in selling people another phone vs helping out repairing an old one,

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Yea, agree, I remain puzzled as to how anyone could fork over $1,000 for a phone, that's enough for a respectable Ryzen complete system, including monitor.
How the hell do you fit the Ryzen system and monitor in your pocket?!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd pay more than $1k for a phone that did what I wanted, but I pretty much value nothing everyone else seems to like, so I get cheap phones.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
$1000+ flagship phones aren't an Apple-specific thing.

To the topic of Apple banning people for posting FACTS that Apple pretends aren't:

Part of what Apple is selling, is a fantasy. They want users to think of their products as 'magic' in a very real way. Many consumers who should know better, actually enjoy engaging in the fantasy to varying levels. If it's 'magic' you won't know or care there's 2010's 5400RPM hard-drive in there, you won't question ridiculous lack of I/O (heck, that's actually Apple PROTECTING you from Muggles...) stats inside a sealed box in general are a joke (unless expressly pushed by the Apple when the magic is in their favor.)

So a 'magic' phone works because it was pixie dust anointed by Apple. If it springs a leak, the pixie dust leaks out... poof. Magic gone, device kaput. Buy a new one.

Someone coming along dealing with REALITY who says "no, it's not magic. It's just such-and-such a chip, and if you do thus and such you can recover..."

BAM! Out they are kicked because they spoke against the fantasy. Magic device. ONLY Apple can re-anoint it via magic or declare it DOA so buy another one. Happily Ever After... The End.

Ironically, what I've liked about OSX all these years, is despite being in the middle of this stilly "magic kingdom" it's traditionally been marketed as nearly opposite- even celebrating it's UNIX underpinnings and letting the user delve into command-line mumbo-jumbo and such.

Slowly though, Apple is trying to dumb down OSX in the same way that iOS is completely in fantasy-land, where a user can't be trusted to install applications from anywhere but the walled garden, and things like file systems are evil plots by Muggles to disrupt the enchanted kingdom.

So: person banned for speaking REALITY and not the ga-jillion dollar fairy tale. Not surprising she was banned, not in the least.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Yea, agree, I remain puzzled as to how anyone could fork over $1,000 for a phone, that's enough for a respectable Ryzen complete system, including monitor.
some people cant put a price tag on memories. the optics in the phone are worth at least 60$, the screen 50-100, the memory another 40$, cpu 50$ at lEAST, throw in quick charging wireless power sharing r&d.. Im excited to pay 400$ for a 1000$ phone, sure i dont buy them when they first come out but i defiantly will buy them to take photos of vacations and watch movies on. its a small price to pay compared to eating out a few times can be 1000$ easy. we all choose to spend money on different things, i bought a dslr waterproof camera for 800$ but its very difficult to always carry around with me and i enjoy taking photos to remember things forever. If you are a boring ass person that doesn't do anything fun then i imagine a camera would be worthless to you :() usually im on vacation for 3 months of the year in Europe or Asia or out and about in usa doing some sight seeing worth remembering.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
some people cant put a price tag on memories. the optics in the phone are worth at least 60$, the screen 50-100, the memory another 40$, cpu 50$ at lEAST, throw in quick charging wireless power sharing r&d.. Im excited to pay 400$ for a 1000$ phone, sure i dont buy them when they first come out but i defiantly will buy them to take photos of vacations and watch movies on. its a small price to pay compared to eating out a few times can be 1000$ easy. we all choose to spend money on different things, i bought a dslr waterproof camera for 800$ but its very difficult to always carry around with me and i enjoy taking photos to remember things forever. If you are a boring ass person that doesn't do anything fun then i imagine a camera would be worthless to you :() usually im on vacation for 3 months of the year in Europe or Asia or out and about in usa doing some sight seeing worth remembering.
One can buy a pretty good dedicated camera and a nice cell phone for well less than $1,000. At least you're being smart by waiting a tad for the price to come down. I don't know what you like for dinner but spending $1,000 for a "few times" seems expensive. Of course if your buying an entire family's meal then that's totally different.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
One can buy a pretty good dedicated camera and a nice cell phone for well less than $1,000. At least you're being smart by waiting a tad for the price to come down. I don't know what you like for dinner but spending $1,000 for a "few times" seems expensive. Of course if your buying an entire family's meal then that's totally different.
yea i have very nice camera's but who wants to carry them? its not practical. i enjoy eating lobster, king crab, steak you know standard stuff and i would never go alone that just sounds silly.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Man they sure seem like they are trying to look horrible lately. Add this one to the never buy a apple product list.
This alone is a good reason not buy Apple products. Geez Apple was a lot better back when they sold the Apple II series.

Steve Job when he took over the Macintosh Project crippled it by only having 128K and a single floppy drive, while the Amiga and Atari ST started out with more memory. 256K for the Amiga and what 512K for the ST.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
This alone is a good reason not buy Apple products. Geez Apple was a lot better back when they sold the Apple II series.

Steve Job when he took over the Macintosh Project crippled it by only having 128K and a single floppy drive, while the Amiga and Atari ST started out with more memory. 256K for the Amiga and what 512K for the ST.
I'll give credit where it's due though, the ipod changed how music was listened to, they were/are easy to use and robust in construction.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I'll give credit where it's due though, the ipod changed how music was listened to, they were/are easy to use and robust in construction.
Well that is true. However I'm not any fan of Digital Audio Players that requires the vendor's own software in order to use the device. The buyer should be Free to use whichever application they prefer.

Those Players must be able to load music on them simply by plugging USB cable into the port.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Those Players must be able to load music on them simply by plugging USB cable into the port.

This is one of the major reasons I can't stand Apple and their whole ecosystem. We were traveling away from home but my kid had homework to do by watching a video and writing about it. All I was trying to do was copy the mp4 onto the ipad for later viewing. But nope, I even had to google how to do that. And then how do I play it? Ridiculous.

Last month I started a thread about buying two iPhone 8s for my kids because they finally were getting phones. That only lasted 2 weeks as battery life was an issue and it just seemed too locked down for everything. I switched them both to S9s for the same price and it's no comparison on all fronts (except maybe exterior feel and design). Their 6th grade friends are all about Apple and who's got the latest one (there's that marketing again). My kids poke fun at Apple now, they've seen the light. Apple can take a walk.

The other day, they showed me this:

Last edited:

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

I don't figure it'll amount to anything.

The FTC and the politicians in Congress have let the problem get so bad through decades of negligence and outright corruption that that they (the FTC) don't have a fraction of the resources they'd need to get it under control again.

The companies involved will just pay off the right politicians for a few years to make the problem magically disappear the next time the retarded American public is distracted for a few days by some other shiny thing....

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Apple is very much about "the only thought you should have is how you're going to pay for our latest product". Less is more, you should have less and we should have more.

Google is not much worse. At least they try to deliver more instead of less. Full disclosure: I've never spend a cent on either company except a $20 google home mini and if they want to listen in on my day to day, they need a life because I've long ago blocked all their targeted ads.

Back to apple. All they really do is socially engineer easily persuaded people into spending money to get out of the anxiety of not buying new things. It's hilarious, and all the time I see defense of buying the new widget, from people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Apple is very much about "the only thought you should have is how you're going to pay for our latest product". Less is more, you should have less and we should have more.

Google is not much worse. At least they try to deliver more instead of less. Full disclosure: I've never spend a cent on either company except a $20 google home mini and if they want to listen in on my day to day, they need a life because I've long ago blocked all their targeted ads.
I think Apple gave a good business model; make product, sell for profit. It’s straightforward capitalism and I like it.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I think Apple gave a good business model; make product, sell for profit. It’s straightforward capitalism and I like it.
Preying on idiot consumers is a sad thing to like. How about earn the profit by making the world a better place instead?

Apple would very much prefer that you throw your phone into a landfill as often as possible and waste money buying their latest model. It's an abomination, marketed towards losers who think the latest tech will make THEIR LIFE WHOLE, when it never does.

The sad thing is that the avearge consumer isn't as intelligent as their marketing dept. ads, which means public education has utterly failed and sending kids to collage on my dime, failed as well, leaving them ignorant yet still feeling entitled to pay apple for iBS.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcgeek11