Apple bans woman who proves data recovery possible

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Preying on idiot consumers is a sad thing to like. How about earn the profit by making the world a better place instead?

Apple would very much prefer that you throw your phone into a landfill as often as possible and waste money buying their latest model. It's an abomination, marketed towards losers who think the latest tech will make THEIR LIFE WHOLE, when it never does.

I find Apple support their phones for many years so as the tech enthusiast in the family I can hand down my phone to other family members to be used for many more years to come.

I don’t believe in casting consumers as ‘victims’. People can simply chose not to buy the product and their life will go on.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I find Apple support their phones for many years so as the tech enthusiast in the family I can hand down my phone to other family members to be used for many more years to come.

I don’t believe in looking at consumers as ‘victims’. People can simply chose not to buy the product and their life will go on.
"Support" is a charade and this topic as well as many others, show the history of support is terrible. Apple is very much against fair use and support.

How long have you worked for them or do you just drink the kool-aid? Support of apples devices is a sad joke, a planned way to make a premium, limiting repair to the highest cost option. They take extra effort to screw their own customers instead of appreciating them.

It's amusing and hilarious to see it, like it's just a bunch of little children that think they must have the apple product to fit in with their peers because they never formed an identity. Once someone reaches about 12 years old, they should have outgrown that unless they had terrible parents.

Last edited:

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
"Support" is a charade and this topic as well as many others, show the history of support is terrible. Apple is very much against fair use and support.

How long have you worked for them or do you just drink the kool-aid? Support of apples devices is a sad joke.

I don’t work for Apple. I just use their products and know them to be well supported. I’m very sorry this seems to upset you so much.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I don’t work for Apple. I just use their products and know them to be well supported. I’m very sorry this seems to upset you so much.
This is nonsense. They are terribly supported in the closed apple microsystem. It is very poor support and your trying to play on the "upset you so much" angle, just tells me that you are either a marketing shill, or drank the kool-aid.

You are telling lies, then trying to blame someone else for being wrong in uncovering the lies. It is absurd. You literally, lost your mind and can't make heads or tails of this, or are just lying and do work for Apple's marketing dept.

Last edited:

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
This is nonsense. They are terribly supported in the closed apple microsystem, and what upsets me to a limited amount is that there are people like you who are so deceitful and uncaring about taking advantage of the less intelligent people in society.

Granted, what someone wastes their money on is their own personal choice and right to do, but there is still a very foul odor about apple produces being desirable when there is no reason they should fetch a premium, on the contrary they should be the less desirable, budget option, except for ignorant consumers duped by marketing.

Don't get me wrong, apple produces some reasonable spec gear, but the marketing that you "need" that, is absurd for the average person.

No one needs a smartphone of any description. I think you are wrong on the support front, and you definitely need to stop being upset about it, life is too short that for!

’Less intelligent people’ don’t need taking care of, they need educating. If you’re too ’thick’ to understand Apple and Gogole’s business models, the answer is to become informed.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No one needs a smartphone of any description. I think you are wrong on the support front, and you definitely need to stop being upset about it, life is too short that for!

’Less intelligent people’ don’t need taking care of, they need educating.
Where do I start?

yes, in the modern world people need a smartphone.

No, apple support is a crap closed ecosystem as proven many times, and you can do a simple google search to find this info.

No, I am not so upset, you are just being an ignorant drama queen trying to pretend that my argument is about emotion instead of fact, typical with apple PR motives but not typical with consumer analysis.

Life is too short to be duped into buying apple products.

Lastly, your nonsense about needing educating. We don't offer educational programs to safeguard idiots against a consumer driven market. It is indoctrinated into the US society unfortunately, where we are a throwaway society then want to do stupid things like make energy more expensive instead of decreasing ways that energy is wasted on our disposable products.

You are wrong about every single thing you have written so far.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Where do I start?

yes, in the modern world people need a smartphone.

No, apple support is a crap closed ecosystem as proven many times, and you can do a simple google search to find this info.

No, I am not so upset, you are just being an ignorant drama queen trying to pretend that my argument is about emotion instead of fact, typical with apple PR motives but not typical with consumer analysis.

Life is too short to be duped into buying apple products.

Lastly, your nonsense about needing educating. We don't offer educational programs to safeguard idiots against a consumer driven market. It is indoctrinated into the US society unfortunately, where we are a throwaway society then want to do stupid things like make energy more expensive instead of decreasing ways that energy is wasted on our disposable products.

You are wrong about every single thing you have written so far.

I disagree, my experience shows that Apple do support their products for a long time.

A subjective opinion is not fact.

No one is duped into buying Apple products, people choose to buy them.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ok guys, please try to get along. Agree to disagree if need be. No need for insults and name calling.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Preying on idiot consumers is a sad thing to like. How about earn the profit by making the world a better place instead?

Apple would very much prefer that you throw your phone into a landfill as often as possible and waste money buying their latest model. It's an abomination, marketed towards losers who think the latest tech will make THEIR LIFE WHOLE, when it never does.

The sad thing is that the avearge consumer isn't as intelligent as their marketing dept. ads, which means public education has utterly failed and sending kids to collage on my dime, failed as well, leaving them ignorant yet still feeling entitled to pay apple for iBS.

But... that's not really true.

Apple wouldn't offer major OS updates for around five years if it didn't expect some people to hold on to their phones for a long time. It wouldn't spend time optimizing for phones near the end of that five-year period. It wouldn't devote energy to recycling robots and eco-friendly materials, for that matter.

Don't get me wrong, Apple would love it if you upgraded frequently... it just knows many people don't, and arguably doesn't mind as much as long as your next phone is also an iPhone.

It's a bit odd to claim what you do when even Google only provides three years of major Android updates for its own phones, and OEMs are still allowed to offer much less. If Google was interested in longevity, wouldn't it extend the duration of that OS support, require that all OEMs match that support, and devote more energy to ensuring 'full' Android (i.e. not Android Go) runs well on older hardware?

I don't think Google is a Snidely Whiplash-style villain planning to ruin the planet with short update windows, but it's historically been too willing to let Android OEMs get away with practices that push users toward premature upgrades. Hell, remember when Motorola tried to get away with delivering just one update to the $1,000 Edge+ (Android 11, just a few months after launch), and decided to be "generous" with one more update following the backlash? Google needs to clamp down on that kind of behavior.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I think they are. I hate Apples business model.

Samsung seems to be doubly evil.... they lock down their devices, AND they have a bad habit of adding unremovable bloatware as part of their software updates.

That said, you could say that Apple does the same thing now. If something like Samsung's new TV service is bloatware, I guess that Apple TV+ is as well.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Samsung seems to be doubly evil.... they lock down their devices, AND they have a bad habit of adding unremovable bloatware as part of their software updates.

That said, you could say that Apple does the same thing now. If something like Samsung's new TV service is bloatware, I guess that Apple TV+ is as well.

Mind you, the Apple TV app is also useful for watching third-party channels and Apple video rentals/purchases, so I wouldn't say it's that bad.

That and it's always ironic when people accuse Apple of being evil and then flock to Samsung... you know, the chaebol that dominates South Korean life, has faced multiple convictions for corruption by top executives, has committed labor abuses in its home country and even makes it difficult to publish books critical of its practices.

As I like to put it: if Apple's practices are bad enough to boycott the company, Samsung's are enough that you should immediately destroy every Samsung product you own and demand life in prison for the Lee family. Apple is a paragon of virtue in comparison.

(I don't think you should boycott either company; I see this more as matter of internal consistency.)

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

This thread is about Apple, or am I mistaken?

I'm not defending Samsung. If you don't like Samsung I recommend you not purchase their products. That is why I will never buy an Apple product.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008

No Apple isn't the only one at all but considering this using the word paragon in the same sentence as a tech company is rather foolish...
Unless you mean "Paragon of Evil!"

_____

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

No Apple isn't the only one at all but considering this using the word paragon in the same sentence as a tech company is rather foolish...
Unless you mean "Paragon of Evil!"

I only meant in comparison. It's amusing to see people decry Apple and then flee to companies that are either demonstrably worse, like Samsung, or less accountable (say, few if any labor condition reports).

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I only meant in comparison. It's amusing to see people decry Apple and then flee to companies that are either demonstrably worse, like Samsung, or less accountable (say, few if any labor condition reports).

I believe my words
using the word paragon in the same sentence as a tech company is rather foolish...
allows for the inclusion of Samsung as a tech company that using the word paragon with is rather shortsighted.
As for Apple fans... Well there are some (which I have found frequent coffee shops rather often) who take it to another level almost like no others.

*e2a*
It seems that Apple has hindered 3rd party repairs and such in relation to their tech products like no other as is the original main subject of this thread.

____

Reactions: pcgeek11

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

How long have you worked for them or do you just drink the kool-aid? Support of apples devices is a sad joke, a planned way to make a premium, limiting repair to the highest cost option. They take extra effort to screw their own customers instead of appreciating them.

It's amusing and hilarious to see it, like it's just a bunch of little children that think they must have the apple product to fit in with their peers because they never formed an identity. Once someone reaches about 12 years old, they should have outgrown that unless they had terrible parents.

My iPhone SE 2016's still getting updates, my Google Nexus 3 or whatever number, the all glass one, didn't get updates beyond 16 months if I recall correctly. I've owned a dozen different Android phones and the support/updates were shit on all of them. I guess I'm expected to buy a close to $2k Samsung Galaxy Swhatever+ to get more than a single update? Or, you can buy a popular phone and rely on XDA and your ability to keep it running newer versions of Android.

Oh also, I bought my SE in early 2017 brand new for $250. Like I just said I'd have to spend $1,500 to get an Android device a decent amount of updates, and even then you're not getting updates 5-6 years down the road. And there's a good chance you'll only get a single Android update, or possibly none.

Another + for Apple, they actually give a shit about my privacy. Google? The latest version of my BLUETOOTH thermometer app for when I'm grilling. It now requires me to grant access to my location. Thanks to some mandate that Google put in place to track people using Bluetooth, apparently for some security reason or something. The explanation doesn't make sense to me. But I know if I click deny the app won't open. lovely eh?

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Some of you seem to have a far different idea of what support is than I do. I want hardware support to keep it running or replaced inexpensively, not perpetually updating software forever. When I bought the widget, either it was acceptable to me or I returned it and just want it to keep running. Fears of "security", seem more like risky behavior to me, but if that's what you need from your phone, so be it.