Apologist in Chief in Japan

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
A lasting peace with Japan as our ally is a great outcome of our foreign policy / relations.
The maintaining of it is in America's interests.

Agreed. What Obama had to say beyond that was spoken in the interests of the whole human race.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
When you cite an article to make a point it's a good idea to actually read the whole article:

"Most experts believe that Japan did not have the capability to build a nuclear weapon before the U.S. bombings.

Takeuchi told the Yomiuri newspaper that when he heard that "a new type of bomb" had been dropped on Hiroshima, he thought to himself, 'How the hell did the U.S. come up with an atomic bomb!'

"It was overwhelmingly regrettable and frustrating," he said.

When Japan surrendered, the occupying U.S. forces discovered just five cyclotrons, devices that speed up atoms in order to separate isotopes that can then be used for a bomb. U.S. atomic facilities in New Mexico, by comparison, contained hundreds of separators operating day and night to produce just four bombs.

"I don't think Japan's nuclear program was very advanced or that it played a role in the decision to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki," said Jeff Kingston, director of Asian Studies at Temple University's Japan Campus, and author of "Contemporary Japan."

..they were working on it Dildo. Had their ongoing weapons program produced a device they would have most certainly used it.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
..they were working on it Dildo. Had their ongoing weapons program produced a device they would have most certainly used it.

Nice name calling. By your own article, based on the available evidence they were FAR from being able to produce a weapon before they would have lost the war by conventional means. Any side in the war would have used the bomb if they had it. But only the US put the resources into the program to produce a working device during the war period. Even with a robust spy program that had penetrated the US program the Soviets were years away and they had far more resources to throw at the effort than the Japanese.

BTW I think Truman made the right call and that it did ultimately save lives on both sides.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Nice name calling. By your own article, based on the available evidence they were FAR from being able to produce a weapon before they would have lost the war by conventional means. Any side in the war would have used the bomb if they had it. But only the US put the resources into the program to produce a working device during the war period. Even with a robust spy program that had penetrated the US program the Soviets were years away and they had far more resources to throw at the effort than the Japanese.

BTW I think Truman made the right call and that it did ultimately save lives on both sides.

Only the US possessed the protected means necessary for nuclear weapons production. The Manhattan project was an enormous undertaking involving over 30 facilities. Germany & Japan never got out of the laboratory & into production of fissile material in any meaningful way.

Right, wrong, or indifferent the very existence of the bomb before war's end dictated that it would be used.

Last edited:

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
So pretty much: We're sorry for finishing the war you started and minimizing casualties on all sides.

Ohh, and Truman, you were an evil amoral jerk. I am way better than you.

Signed,
History's most moral and naively idealistic person, Apologist in Chief,

http://nypost.com/2016/05/26/obamas-shameful-apology-tour-lands-in-hiroshima/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/05/27/hiroshima-censure-obama/

http://thefederalist.com/2016/04/12...apologizing-for-america-winning-world-war-ii/

This stuff is getting ridiculous. This guy must have a deep seated hatred for America.

Dumbass.

Feb 4, 2009
c'mon, leave drumpf alone, he just speaks his mind, tells it like it is, that's his charm..

ok, just threw up in my mouth a little on that one.

Imagine if Hillary or Bernie said the exact same words. Some guys in this thread would have them executed for war crimes or something similarly silly.

"He's a war hero 'cause he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, OK?"
D. Trump

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

The Germans were also working on it, and it was determined that their heavy water strategy would not have resulted in a weapon.

Yet again, you've missed the actual point of the argument levied against your comment: whether or not they are working on something is immaterial to if it would have resulted in a successful weapon.

You can work on turning lead into gold all your life if you choose, but it doesn't mean you are going to start producing gold "with enough time."

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Imagine if Hillary or Bernie said the exact same words. Some guys in this thread would have them executed for war crimes or something similarly silly.

"He's a war hero 'cause he was captured. I like people that weren't captured, OK?"
D. Trump

Then had the gall to campaign at a veteran's ride.

Do you think he had the balls to quote that back to them? Tell all the POWs they aren't heroes and he doesn't like them?

"Losers get captured "

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
People who go to war for corporate America are not heros sorry.

we need less 13th hour movies and more all quiet on the western front.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I'm not here to say he apologized, but I do have a question.

Why is he away, fucking off somewhere else, on the taxpayer dime, instead of here honoring those who made great sacrifices for our country. It's Memorial weekend, for Christ sake! The Japanese, if they know about this, have to be laughing their asses off. Obama is an embarrassment to our men and women who serve.
As expected, Obama did commemorate Memorial Day here with a breakfast reception at the White House for families of fallen soldiers. He then followed tradition and laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Link.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
As expected, Obama did commemorate Memorial Day here with a breakfast reception at the White House for families of fallen soldiers. He then followed tradition and laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Link.

What!!!? He must have a plane or something.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I'm not here to say he apologized, but I do have a question.

Why is he away, fucking off somewhere else, on the taxpayer dime, instead of here honoring those who made great sacrifices for our country. It's Memorial weekend, for Christ sake! The Japanese, if they know about this, have to be laughing their asses off. Obama is an embarrassment to our men and women who serve.

I think its funny you complain about him traveling on the taxpayer dime here. Was he supposed to use his own money? Or are you just yelling into the void?

The only embarrassment to the military is people like you trying to speak for them.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Well, yeh, but he's still black, still a dirty Democrat, still holding an office that rightfully belongs to a white Republican. Whatever he does is wrong because he's doing it.

See how that works?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I think its funny you complain about him traveling on the taxpayer dime here. Was he supposed to use his own money? Or are you just yelling into the void?

The only embarrassment to the military is people like you trying to speak for them.

I'll go with "Yelling into the Void" for 500, Alex.

HTFOff

Golden Member
Oct 3, 2013
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe a japanese reporter asked him directly if he would apologize on behalf of America vis a vis the nukes. He said no without hesitation. This undoubtedly triggered many on the left here at home and abroad, so you have to respect him for that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe a japanese reporter asked him directly if he would apologize on behalf of America vis a vis the nukes. He said no without hesitation. This undoubtedly triggered many on the left here at home and abroad, so you have to respect him for that.

Nice bit of faith based projection. Such sentiment exists, I suspect, but only among a small minority.

The doublespeak from Repubs is astounding, beginning with the notion that Obama didn't apologize because of pressure put upon him not to do so. "Obama under pressure not to apologize" was the bullshit spin before he even said a word. And when he didn't apologize, of course, all them hippie dippie Leftists! really wanted him to.

It's highly unlikely that any American President will ever even entertain the notion of apologizing for Hiroshima & Nagasaki. It was just a last final horror in a horrific war that killed 60 million people, a conflict thrust upon us by the Axis.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Nice bit of faith based projection. Such sentiment exists, I suspect, but only among a small minority.

The doublespeak from Repubs is astounding, beginning with the notion that Obama didn't apologize because of pressure put upon him not to do so. "Obama under pressure not to apologize" was the bullshit spin before he even said a word. And when he didn't apologize, of course, all them hippie dippie Leftists! really wanted him to.

It's highly unlikely that any American President will ever even entertain the notion of apologizing for Hiroshima & Nagasaki. It was just a last final horror in a horrific war that killed 60 million people, a conflict thrust upon us by the Axis.

This concept of how to get themselves to think down the same narrow paths is why their party is ruptured.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It did? Seems to me the only people who get triggered are conservatives.

The best part is that they're foaming at the mouth over something that demonstrably never happened. It's a tribute to the efforts of right wing propagandists that their heads are in a place where they even might.