AoC and Omar declare Bolivia to be a coup...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Weird that the OP is nowhere to be seen. He's probably painting the ceiling of his bedroom reading about all these indigenous people getting murdered.

Reactions: KMFJD

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Damn, don’t know about the OP but I will say my initial skepticism of the election’s legitimacy has been replaced with recognition of a military coup. Even if the results were suspect, they should’ve held the runoff. Either way, there is no legal justification for removing Morales before the end of his term.

Reactions: KMFJD

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Let me see if I get this right (not about the coup but another point brought up in this thread):

- the leader of a South American country, having run up against presidential term limits, puts the question to the people about said term limits in a referendum but loses. He says he will accept this, but then goes to court arguing his first term didn't count because it was under a different constitution. He wins and is allowed to run again but after the election the result counting stops unexpectedly then resumes 24 hours later and he is declared the winner.

-my initial questioning of the legitimacy of said election was apparently due to a vast conspiracy by western (and US in particular) news coverage conspiring to work against that president and not all of the above.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Let me see if I get this right (not about the coup but another point brought up in this thread):

- the leader of a South American country, having run up against presidential term limits, puts the question to the people about said term limits in a referendum but loses. He says he will accept this, but then goes to court arguing his first term didn't count because it was under a different constitution. He wins and is allowed to run again but after the election the result counting stops unexpectedly then resumes 24 hours later and he is declared the winner.

-my initial questioning of the legitimacy of said election was apparently due to a vast conspiracy by western (and US in particular) news coverage conspiring to work against that president and not all of the above.

weird you forgot the part where the president agreed to new elections after the OAS came out with their recommendation, but was then deposed by the military anyway, and that the new self-declared president gave the military permission to murder protesters. Why did you forget that part?

also, the counting was completely standard. The quick count is not the official result and Morales’s numbers improved as rural areas reported; exactly as they were expected to.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
weird you forgot the part where the president agreed to new elections after the OAS came out with their recommendation, but was then deposed by the military anyway, and that the new self-declared president gave the military permission to murder protesters. Why did you forget that part?

also, the counting was completely standard. The quick count is not the official result and Morales’s numbers improved as rural areas reported; exactly as they were expected to.

Was not talking about the coup, was talking about the initial news coverage

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's not the rationale for the ruling of the Bolivian SCOTUS. They ruled that term limits were unconstitutional because they unreasonably limited the electorate's right to choose.

And, uhh, if the coup perps want free & fair elections, why are they arresting the opposition?

Reactions: Meghan54

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
"Totes not a coup and we support democracy and free speech," says the people arresting their political opposition and murdering citizens for their speech.

Mar 11, 2004
"Totes not a coup and we support democracy and free speech," says the people arresting their political opposition and murdering citizens for their speech.

But let's think more about the word coup. It kinda seems like soup and what do we call America? A melting pot. So, really they're just being more extra diverse, just like America where we have no problems at all that aren't caused by liberals so see this is the right thing to do; U-S-A! U-S-A!) and its totally not a coup. Also AOC, look her initials has two letters from the word coup so she's really the one trying to instigate a coup!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

I'm not sure where you're trying to go with this, but just in case you're asking about the order of events, it's this:

Morales wrote the constitution w/term limits. The constitution also has a provision stating that Bolivia has entered into various human rights treaties, which overrule the constitution except for specific provisions (term limits not one of those provisions).

Near the end of his second term, Morales asked the constitutional court of he could serve a 3rd b/c the first started under a prior constitution. Court agreed with this take.

During third term has a referendum to abolish term limits. Referendum narrowly lost.

Went back to the court asking whether the human right to vote for who they wanted trumped the term limit provision. Court said it did.

Vote is held, and there are two counts that happen. One is unofficial and is provided to give news something to report. Other is official.

The unofficial count was scheduled to stop after 80% b/c it serves its purpose by then. The official count progressed and was regularly updated the whole time.

OAS put out a report based on the unofficial count, which claimed electoral fraud. That provided the trigger for the opposition in Bolivia to stage the coup.

Big US media ran with the OAS report completely uncritically.

There likely is a conspiracy btw OAS and the Bolivian opposition.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Are you saying that Supreme Courts should not be allowed to make critical decisions about Presidential elections?

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Are you saying that Supreme Courts should not be allowed to make critical decisions about Presidential elections?

Again, my point, and only point, is that with everything that I mentioned, it shouldn't be surprising if one were to believe that there was a problem with the election. I was responding to the feeling I had that those critical of the news coverage were also being a bit critical of those who believed that coverage to be truthful and accurate, again due to the many problems and changes that occurred before the election.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Again, my point, and only point, is that with everything that I mentioned, it shouldn't be surprising if one were to believe that there was a problem with the election. I was responding to the feeling I had that those critical of the news coverage were also being a bit critical of those who believed that coverage to be truthful and accurate, again due to the many problems and changes that occurred before the election.

it’s not surprising if someone swallows American corporate media uncritically and is totally ignorant the long history of American interference in Latin American politics.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

It's a standard right wing coup with supporting propaganda campaign. It's one of Uncle Sam's traditional favorites. It'll be a capitalist paradise before you know it. For the capitalists, of course.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
It's a standard right wing coup with supporting propaganda campaign. It's one of Uncle Sam's traditional favorites. It'll be a capitalist paradise before you know it. For the capitalists, of course.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if all those Lithium reserves are now for sale to the highest bidder.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Weird that the OP is nowhere to be seen. He's probably painting the ceiling of his bedroom reading about all these indigenous people getting murdered.

This is what these people do around here. They drop these insane thread/headlines and then NEVER come back to them. They get the rest of us to post nearly 150 responses and enjoy the show. We just have to stop responding to these clear troll posts. Everything is doing EXACTLY as the OP wanted. They know they aren't going to change minds, they just want to get everything worked up.

lead_720_405.jpg

Last edited: