Anyone still do deadlifts and barbell bent over rows?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Funny, you call Ackmed a dick, while you and Zivic were the petty ones being dicks. Your response above is a dick response by using a different word than the one used to carry a different meaning. Note also that I said his athletic ability is likely superior as well. But go ahead... Continue hating the world...

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
He might be more athletic than me, but athletic is a nebulous term, is it not? Athletic in what way? Is he a better runner than me? Yea maybe, probably. What about sports? I dunno, what sport? Powerlifting is a sport, one in which I hold some hardware, so probably not that one, maybe you mean some more "fast twitch" or coordination-reliant sports like basketball or football? I dunno, again, maybe, probably. I'm not here to compare myself to him or anyone else, neither did he, you're the only one doing that. How athletic or good looking he is in relation to myself really has nothing to do with anything that's been posted in this thread.

It's really pretty simple. From the start I have not criticized his decision to not lift heavy. That's his decision based on his goals and his body. That's fine. But this forum is used as a general advice board, and as general advice, "I don't lift heavy because I don't want to get big" is not true, so I pointed that out. The random other tangents he went on about lifters being fat and not being able to run and chalk and whatever else (seriously, this discussion was over a month ago, who cares) were just nonsense attacks, so they were called as such.

You talk about "hate" and are throwing around insults, even putting insults in my mouth that I never said, I'm not sure where that's coming from. Maybe this is your buddy and you feel insulted that someone dared argue with him on the internet, but the only one being hateful here is you. Anyway, I'm off to my basement to do heavy deadlifts despite being under 10% body fat and in the "normal" BMI range. Have a good Friday!

Aristotelian

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2010
I love doing deadlifts - and I follow the form as described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyRiw2b8yI4

Oddly, I tend to feel it quite a bit in the trapezius area - I asked around at the gym and am told it is normal. I'm still a beginner here and have worked up to (including the bar) about 240 lbs. I love doing these, and follow up with weighted bulgarian split squats after.

I never feel any back pain but sometimes my lower back does feel 'tired' and I just want to crash in bed.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
I'm still pretty young (33) and I do deadlifts consistently, but I've noticed a "split" in people my age who take care of their bodies vs people who don't. It just seems like the people who complain about having back or knee pain are the ones who never did anything to strengthen either. I certainly get tender after a good workout, but

As for Ackmed, it's his choice to go light on the legs. For him though, he can't go over the weight limit due to his job. Doing heavy lifting on the legs is a great way to add a lot of mass and weight and put his job at risk because they don't consider muscle weight vs fat weight. So yeah, we have to respect that, and I commend him for it.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I'm still pretty young (33) and I do deadlifts consistently, but I've noticed a "split" in people my age who take care of their bodies vs people who don't. It just seems like the people who complain about having back or knee pain are the ones who never did anything to strengthen either. I certainly get tender after a good workout, but

this is 100% the truth.

leads me back to the thinking about stagnant water. your body is mean to be used. Much like a car that is never driven, it will just rot and deteriorate and be no good for when you finally do decide to use it

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003

As for Ackmed, it's his choice to go light on the legs. For him though, he can't go over the weight limit due to his job. Doing heavy lifting on the legs is a great way to add a lot of mass and weight and put his job at risk because they don't consider muscle weight vs fat weight. So yeah, we have to respect that, and I commend him for it.

I don't necessarily go "light". I just don't go really heavy. But that is subjective for each person. Such as in squats yesterday. My wife went up to a 45 on each side. We do squats together and after the baby she was back at 15lb on each side to work her way back up. Up to 25, 35, and now 45. I have always just added two 45's on each side to make it easier switching turns doing them, adjusting reps as I saw fit. I didn't really want to do three 45's on each side, but taking her 45 off, putting on a 35 and then two more 45's was too much work. So I am doing three 45's on each side. That is more than I like to do, not because I cannot but because *I* will gain more muscle, and bigger legs. I gain muscle pretty easy. I don't want that. But thanks, people can work out for different reasons. I want/need to be strong, yet still fast and agile. Not only that my wife doesn't want me to get any bigger anywhere, not just legs. So I am good where I am.

But I more active exercises for legs, walking lunges, box jumps, etc. I really don't do many traditional leg exercises. Squats and deadlifts are about it.

elitejp

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2010
I do deadlifts with good form. Im 38 years old and did 550lb 1rm at 195. That was the only time my back ever got rounded and no injury because of it. I knew what it should feel like and i knew my back was strong enough to handle this pr during that lift but i also know that this is due to 2 decades of doing dl.
If your doing it properly your only going to get a stronger back and core. Its one of the best strengthening exercises you can do because of the amount of weight your body can handle. Just be smart about it. For that 1rm pr i did i was totally aware that if i felt anything being too strained that i was going to drop that weight and not hit a pr. But i would rather not get that rep and go home injury free than over exert myself and be injured.