Question Anyone knows when the New Xeons coming out?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm in the process for planning my next workstation build, and At first I had a configuration that includes an LGA3467 motherboard with Xeon W chips. But it seems as those are being discontinued, and I can't find the motherboard or chips anywhere anymore.

I've heard that Intel releasing some new Xeons with socket LGA4189 chips, with PCIe 4.0 & 5.0, but can't find much info as when those are coming out, and since I'm doing a lot of Music creating and now some CAD work, I need things like ECC RDIMM RAM. Anyone have any info, or at least an even that they will announce them? Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
I'll be ready to upgrade too! I finally Tapped my Computer with some of these new virtual instruments I got. hahahah. I need some Power now. My old muscle is losing muscle. hahaha.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
You are not listening... If you need more memory or PCIE lanes, you STILL have 1950x, 2950x, 2970wx, 2990wx. They just are not quite as fast as the 3960x or 3970x or 3990x.

Oh, and I want to see what Intel has now against my 2970wx. Nothing that I know of. At least in the price range.
I'd say it's you who's not listening.

The original Threadripper platform was amazing because it was top of the line and launched at relatively low prices.
It was the HEDT platform for the people, something average individuals could actually afford if they needed it.
It doesn't matter if you can still get old/used hardware cheap. Their new HEDT is now at unattainable prices.
Even if you were willing to consider old/used hardware, TR1/TR2 will eventually dry up.
The new prices are so massively high that even used they'll never enter the realm of TR1/TR2.

There's tons of software and systems that need lots of RAM/PCIe and have no use or not yet scaled up to or past 16 cores.
If you want/need lots of RAM, PCIe, and want to invest in the latest platform, you literally can NOT go AMD.

AMD destroyed a huge opportunity they had created, and have massively priced themselves out of the HEDT market.
They're now in this weird twilight zone between HEDT and server, a place only corporations can afford (and they'll go server).

It's something I can't comprehend. It's like AMD suddenly said "fuck market share, we made a small name for ourselves so lets triple prices!"

If they would've kept an entry TR3 CPU around $600, and made it possible for $400 TRX40 MOBOs, they'd be taking the entire HEDT market.
TRX40 is enough better than TR1/TR2, that with the right price they could've filled all individual, small, and medium business needs.

At an entry price of $750, and $500+ MOBOs...they'd still be a consideration for some and would still beat most of Intel's current lineup.
At it's current price, it can't even compete with Intel and is no longer suitable for any individual and not most small businesses either...

One thing I think we can all agree on, is Competition is good!

My next build is one that can go toe to toe with the Mac Pro. Spec for Spec. I'm definitely want about six channels of RDIMMs. I need the bandwidth now considering me maxing out my rig yesterday with some sounds. I've thought of doing dual CPU's too. But depends on where I'm at with my living situation and may be moving later this year, and can I get some more space. I do love to here the support from AMD. Something I've haven't experienced much from a pro standpoint until this post.

I just can't wait to build the best rig I can. Heck I know I'm spending a $1K on an CPU now. It is what it is. But I can't WAIT to start seeing some CPU news. We've been seeing consumer stuff, and I've had three consumer rigs, and the one I have now is the closet that I've had to build something close to a true workstation. So my next one we definitely putting some meat on it.

So This is what I think will be good for me.

MIN of 10 cores. Must have hyperthreading and overclocking (Turboboost)
No less of 2.9GHz Base Clock speed
Min of six channels of ECC RDIMM DRAM, 8-12 slots
Min of 64 lanes of PCIe 3.0, though interested to get PCIe 4.0, with at least five slots
Must have at least one on board PCIe M.2 slot.
Internal USB port or microSD card slot (without having to add another part)
Thunderboard optional.
Great way to update and fix UEFI BIOS if need be.

Man I'm getting excited just thinking about it. I may even get a new case. I'm seeing if I can find a better looking case. Silverstone got some nice looking cases.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
As far a core count, I was saying I would take no less than eight. I'll probably do better with a 10, 12, or 16 core. Don't need more than 16 honestly with what I'm running. 24 is just overkill.

You say this now.

Unless your software literally can't use lots of cores I think you should get ALL THE CORES!!! (well, go for 32)

• Haha
Reactions: Markeyse

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Competition is good, we are certainly WAY ahead of where we were 3 years ago.

I'm just sad that it seems AMD is not pushing anywhere near as hard for competition now.

I wouldn't say they not pushing. But I will say they have a way to go. They are still known as the "Gaming" CPU company. They need to get their GPU company up. We shall see what Big Navi is all about. They are starting to come out with some PCIe 4.0 Workstation Cards. I would like to see some more processors aimed at clock speeds with the core counts. I would also like to see them grow the business more and expand like Intels. I know they just got one of Intel's networking guys, so we shall see what happens with that. It would also be interesting for them to make some FPGAs. That is a growing business and Intel (Had) three companies just for that. And they about to add their Vector stuff with Xe soon.

You say this now.
Unless your software literally can't use lots of cores I think you should get ALL THE CORES!!! (well, go for 32)

What about a 300 core? Might as well. 🤣🤣🤣

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
👀👀👀

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I'd say it's you who's not listening.

The original Threadripper platform was amazing because it was top of the line and launched at relatively low prices.
It was the HEDT platform for the people, something average individuals could actually afford if they needed it.
It doesn't matter if you can still get old/used hardware cheap. Their new HEDT is now at unattainable prices.
Even if you were willing to consider old/used hardware, TR1/TR2 will eventually dry up.
The new prices are so massively high that even used they'll never enter the realm of TR1/TR2.

There's tons of software and systems that need lots of RAM/PCIe and have no use or not yet scaled up to or past 16 cores.
If you want/need lots of RAM, PCIe, and want to invest in the latest platform, you literally can NOT go AMD.

AMD destroyed a huge opportunity they had created, and have massively priced themselves out of the HEDT market.
They're now in this weird twilight zone between HEDT and server, a place only corporations can afford (and they'll go server).

It's something I can't comprehend. It's like AMD suddenly said "fuck market share, we made a small name for ourselves so lets triple prices!"

If they would've kept an entry TR3 CPU around $600, and made it possible for $400 TRX40 MOBOs, they'd be taking the entire HEDT market.
TRX40 is enough better than TR1/TR2, that with the right price they could've filled all individual, small, and medium business needs.

At an entry price of $750, and $500+ MOBOs...they'd still be a consideration for some and would still beat most of Intel's current lineup.
At it's current price, it can't even compete with Intel and is no longer suitable for any individual and not most small businesses either...
Man what are you talking about? 2nd gen Threadripper is not old or used. It's been launched 1,5 years ago and they're manufacturing them even as we speak.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
👀👀👀

Yeah, I think you should revive this thread come fall and look if you can already get your hands on Ice Lake SP or Eypc Milan by then. May make quite a difference.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
👀👀👀

Oh my God, please not this... they took the story from wccftech, and it's hilarious as you can imagine. The score is not that great to begin with, and the Xeon W score is just plain bogus.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think 1k for a cpu that can satisfy your request does not exist.

Also, ECC RDIMM offer very little payback for a home DAW

I played around on partpicker and put together a 3990X with 256gb ddr4, 4 2TB a data xpg 8200 pro, water cooler, aorus 4 nvme card and a titan rtx for around 12K. Part list below is missing price for the memory and it doesn't include the aorus AIO pcie4 nvme carrier card.

That will kick that Mac Pro' to the curb. The problem you are running into right now is probably context contention, rather than simply st performance.

Drop down to 32 core 3970x and you save a couple of Ks.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020

I played around on partpicker and put together a 3990X with 256gb ddr4, 4 2TB a data xpg 8200 pro, water cooler, aorus 4 nvme card and a titan rtx for around 12K. Part list below is missing price for the memory and it doesn't include the aorus AIO pcie4 nvme carrier card.

That will kick that Mac Pro' to the curb. The problem you are running into right now is probably context contention, rather than simply st performance.

Do you have an 3990X?

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017

He needed ECC for CAD iirc

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Last edited:
Reactions: lightmanek

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Do you have an 3990X?
Nope I have Ryzen 3700X. I did build a 3700X for my brother and he has it in his office as CAD machine.

Only mentioned this build since op mentioned the Mac Pro.

Server grade equipment is horrendously expensive new.

This is an interesting board.

Has PT stopped recommending turning Hyperthreading off? you can always spin up more instances of PT and do 1 VI per instance.

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Nope I have Ryzen 3700X. I did build a 3700X for my brother and he has it in his office as CAD machine.

Only mentioned this build since op mentioned the Mac Pro.

Server grade equipment is horrendously expensive new.

This is an interesting board.

Has PT stopped recommending turning Hyperthreading off? you can always spin up more instances of PT and do 1 VI per instance.

You must not used Pro Tools for a while. I think that was not an issue after version 8!

I can find "Workstation" grade motherboards around $500-1000 which I can do.

And I want specs to be around Mac Pro Status, because of that I'm getting ECC RDIMM especially for the fact that I won't have programs like PT crash as much. It does work better with it, though I'm more in Studio One now a days.

So to me, those are a couple of requirements I will want to meet.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You must not used Pro Tools for a while. I think that was not an issue after version 8!

And I want specs to be around Mac Pro Status, because of that I'm getting ECC RDIMM especially for the fact that I won't have programs like PT crash as much. It does work better with it, though I'm more in Studio One now a days.

Well, this motherboard supports non-buffered ECC https://www.newegg.com/asus-prime-trx40-pro/p/N82E16813119219

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Have you priced the Mac Pro? That thing is hideously expensive. You get very little for your money.

Don't expect anything "new" from Intel for at least another three years if lucky. Right now the recommendation is still to turn off hyperthreading due to security hole.

May have to wait for 1P epyc workstation boards that supports pcie4.

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Have you priced the Mac Pro? That thing is hideously expensive. You get very little for your money.

Don't expect anything "new" from Intel for at least another three years if lucky. Right now the recommendation is still to turn off hyperthreading due to security hole.

May have to wait for 1P epyc workstation boards that supports pcie4.

I do want to have ECC RDIMM DRAMs. Of all the things I'm not sure on with the CPU, I AM sure on the RAM.

I don't have any issues with Hyperthreading so not sure why you pushing that issue. I currently have it on. Never had an issue.

Intel have a couple of events coming this year for Xeons. Also considering some of their filings of their workstation PCIe 4.0 boards coming this year. Their Xe GPUs may be released starting with PCIe 4.0. So I don't think the wait will be long.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I do want to have ECC RDIMM DRAMs. Of all the things I'm not sure on with the CPU, I AM sure on the RAM.

I don't have any issues with Hyperthreading so not sure why you pushing that issue. I currently have it on. Never had an issue.

Intel have a couple of events coming this year for Xeons. Also considering some of their filings of their workstation PCIe 4.0 boards coming this year. Their Xe GPUs may be released starting with PCIe 4.0. So I don't think the wait will be long.

I am assuming you have read up on MDS vulnerabilty?

They've dug a very deep hole and it's going to take them awhile to fill it. This cycle ain't it.

I haven't seen anything that indicates Ponte Vecchio coming in 2020. I could be wrong of course.

I don't see a next gen Intel Xeon workstation build fit in your budget though.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That link was for a new threadripper board, no sense in even looking at Intel, any time in the next 3 years. It has ECC officially supported. It has PCIE4.0, it supports up to 1 TB memory, and you have the choice of 24, 32 or 64 cores. What more could you want ?

Reactions: scannall

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That link was for a new threadripper board, no sense in even looking at Intel, any time in the next 3 years. It has ECC officially supported. It has PCIE4.0, it supports up to 1 TB memory, and you have the choice of 24, 32 or 64 cores. What more could you want ?

He wants ECC RDIMM. Oddly enough I haven't been able to locate a TRX40 board that suppports ECC RDIMM, only ECC Unbuffered.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I am assuming you have read up on MDS vulnerabilty?

They've dug a very deep hole and it's going to take them awhile to fill it. This cycle ain't it.

I haven't seen anything that indicates Ponte Vecchio coming in 2020. I could be wrong of course.

I don't see a next gen Intel Xeon workstation build fit in your budget though.
Ponte vecchio is end of 2021, and only for that one supercomputer.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Unfortonately the TR cpus don't support more than 256 gigs, even then, I don't think you can find 32GB unbuffered ecc sticks