Question Anyone knows when the New Xeons coming out?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm in the process for planning my next workstation build, and At first I had a configuration that includes an LGA3467 motherboard with Xeon W chips. But it seems as those are being discontinued, and I can't find the motherboard or chips anywhere anymore.

I've heard that Intel releasing some new Xeons with socket LGA4189 chips, with PCIe 4.0 & 5.0, but can't find much info as when those are coming out, and since I'm doing a lot of Music creating and now some CAD work, I need things like ECC RDIMM RAM. Anyone have any info, or at least an even that they will announce them? Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Yea Mark. You got me more interested in AMD. I was thinking about a dual CPU at one point, but with the new CPUs I know we can do just about the same with one. I'm still wondering how you got that monster board to fit an ATX space. I gotta measure the insides of my case later.

Just find out if your case (or whatever case you are planning to get) supports E-ATX.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yea Mark. You got me more interested in AMD. I was thinking about a dual CPU at one point, but with the new CPUs I know we can do just about the same with one. I'm still wondering how you got that monster board to fit an ATX space. I gotta measure the insides of my case later.
Its not a monster board. I gave the the exact case link, and maybe I need to link the motherboard, but using 2 CPU's give you the ability to have more cores, and higher speeds. For your puposes, its the best you can get, and at a decent price !,

Here is the motherboard link: https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...0-series/p/1B4-005W-001E0?Item=1B4-005W-001E0

I think I already linked the case. The spec says :
EATX Support: Compatible with EATX 12 x 13in larger form factor motherboards with more functionality, ATX and Micro ATX motherboards

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Just find out if your case (or whatever case you are planning to get) supports E-ATX.
Its not a monster board. I gave the the exact case link, and maybe I need to link the motherboard, but using 2 CPU's give you the ability to have more cores, and higher speeds. For your puposes, its the best you can get, and at a decent price !,

Here is the motherboard link: https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...0-series/p/1B4-005W-001E0?Item=1B4-005W-001E0

I think I already linked the case. The spec says :
EATX Support: Compatible with EATX 12 x 13in larger form factor motherboards with more functionality, ATX and Micro ATX motherboards

This the case I have.

To make it fit ain't no drives fitting in there.

Rosewill RSV-R4000

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Seems like that case can only use ATX size motherboard.
Why don't you go for Single socket EPYC with 16-core instead of dual 8-cores. There are ATX options for EPYC single socket boards like this.

He doesn't want to lose out on ST performance. I still believe that a Cascade Lake Xeon W 2200 series with the C422 chipset is the best option for him.

Reactions: Markeyse

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
He doesn't want to lose out on ST performance. I still believe that a Cascade Lake Xeon W 2200 series with the C422 chipset is the best option for him.

I do think that is the best option as well. :) But he is the one who is making a purchase so if he wants to buy EPYC, at least I can help him so he gets the right component for the case he will be using.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Seems like that case can only use ATX size motherboard.
Why don't you go for Single socket EPYC with 16-core instead of dual 8-cores. There are ATX options for EPYC single socket boards like this.

Yea it is only ATX. But I DEFINITELY want 16 cores. I am leaning towards that. Just the case of sticking with Intel or trying AMD at this point.

ST? Single Thread?

Those are cool as well, but not sure if something is coming out soon new. But I'll decide that later. I do want a Xeon W chip, regardless, if I go with Intel again!

I do think that is the best option as well. :) But he is the one who is making a purchase so if he wants to buy EPYC, at least I can help him so he gets the right component for the case he will be using.

I will most likely stay with Intel, but we shall see. AMD looks good too. But we know Intel Refreshing stuff this year.

Cool thing is that in the fall, My car is paid off, and daddy will have and few extra Benjamin's to spend.

I really wanna see what also shapes out with the LGA3647 and LGA2066 sockets, and what will be of the LGA4189. It will be an interesting year for CPUs, and tech all together.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Never said that. What I'm saying is that I'm waiting for the future to happen.
Keep in mind that there's no 16-core Cascade Lake Xeon W at present. You'll either have to get the 14-core or 18-core.

However it seems to me that you've decided to wait, though I think that the wait will be a long one, probably well into 2021, as I don't think that I've come across any leaked roadmap that puts Ice Lake Xeon W in this year.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Keep in mind that there's no 16-core Cascade Lake Xeon W at present. You'll either have to get the 14-core or 18-core.

However it seems to me that you've decided to wait, though I think that the wait will be a long one, probably well into 2021, as I don't think that I've come across any leaked roadmap that puts Ice Lake Xeon W in this year.

Well, Was always going to wait. I spent a huge wad of money and credit cards on music gear, and car will be paid off in the fall. So That would be my plan of attack.

I know Intel will have an event this month. Not sure on what, but we shall see. We got AMD too, so they still on the table depending on what happens. But I know we shall hear news sooner than later. I know their Xe news is trickling out now, and I'm sure that won't be the only thing going on. Intel been going thru a lot of management changes over the past few years, and we also know they got Jim Keller that is a chip guru, so it will be interesting to see what they have for us. But regardless, I'm just trying to get some info for now because I plan early 😁😁😁

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
And you think that Intel Xeon W-2155 will beat 2 8 core Rome ?
Considering the large difference in base and boost clocks between Rome and Cascade Lake, the latter would easily be faster at similar core counts, unless your workload fits entirely inside the L3 cache.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Considering the large difference in base and boost clocks between Rome and Cascade Lake, the latter would easily be faster at similar core counts, unless your workload fits entirely inside the L3 cache.
Well, its only 10 cores, and unless the job only uses ONE core, the EPYC should be faster. Not to mention 8 channel memory vs 4, etc... Their base frequencies are almost the same. 3.3 for the Intel, 3.4 for the EPYC

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
Well, its only 10 cores, and unless the job only uses ONE core, the EPYC should be faster. Not to mention 8 channel memory vs 4, etc... Their base frequencies are almost the same. 3.3 for the Intel, 3.4 for the EPYC
Who's talking about the 2155? I'm talking about the 2265(12 core), the 2275(14 core) and the 2295(18 core).

These processors rarely run at their base frequency - it should easily be above 4 GHz for lightly threaded tasks. It even boosts to 4.8 GHz on 1/2 cores with TBM 3.0.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
And you think that Intel Xeon W-2155 will beat 2 8 core Rome ?

If he was to get Rome EPYC, I believe it is better to get single 16 core instead of dual 8 cores. Cheaper to load up 8 slots rather than all 16 slots of RAM. Amount of memory is important but not bandwidth. It is complete overkill for the workloads he will be doing.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Just for anyone who is interested, here is the Motherboard I thought I was going to get before it got discontinued.
Asus Pro WS C621-64L Sage/10G
They are readily available new on Ebay.
Curious as to who told you they were discontinued? Gigabyte or a vendor?
It is possible to buy direct through the business division of Gigabyte, no discounts but availability of some of the more difficult to find workstation and server boards.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
It is possible to buy direct through the business division of Gigabyte, no discounts but availability of some of the more difficult to find workstation and server boards.
What? Gigabyte's business division sells Asus motherboards?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
This entire thread is why I'm disappointed in the choices that AMD made for the Threadripper TRX40 platform.
They eliminated the cheaper options and forced people to choose Intel if they want a budget workstation (more RAM/PCIe).

Previously it was possible to get a Threadripper CPU and MOBO for less than the cost of just the entry 3960x CPU.

I know my opinion doesn't matter, but I still think they NEED a max $800 16c TR3 w/ ECC, PCIe 4.0 etc, even if only 64MB cache.
Ideally I'd even say they need to reduce prices...I understand they need to make profit, but they also need much more market share.
This would be my greedy (still somewhat realistic) wish list for launch day retail prices, also would change some names:

3500x $170 Wish this were a retail product (closer fight i5-9400F), I'd price it equidistant from the 3600/3600x

3600 . $200 This price seemed entirely fair, good product at a good price

3600x $230 Would've made it more popular, a potential "why not" for those considering the 3600

3700x $320 A bit cheaper, original price was fair vs what we had not long ago (quad i7s) Should be 3700

3800x $350 Just like the 3600x, needs to be closer to the base product to be worth considering Should be 3700x

3900x $475 Hard call but I think $500 was a fair price, being a neutered TR chip (vs $650 2920x) Should be 3800X

3950x $600 Illogical on AM4, for bragging only or some rare niche (need cores not RAM/PCIe?) Should be 3900x

3955x $750 16c TRX40
For those who need more than 8 cores, 2 channels, 24 PCIe and NOT extreme core counts Should be 3950x

3960x $1300 Should have kept the retail price of the previous 2970wx, increasing market share while still making profit

3970x $1850 Less than current retail, but a little higher priced and still fair vs 2990wx this kind of price creep feels OK

3980x $2600 48c TRX40 They'll probably fill this slot, feels like the highest logical choice for TRX40 (Windows & RAM limits)

3990x $3990 Starts to become silly on TRX40 (Windows core limits, not enough channels/RAM), price can remain as a halo product

Markfw

May 16, 2002
This entire thread is why I'm disappointed in the choices that AMD made for the Threadripper TRX40 platform.
They eliminated the cheaper options and forced people to choose Intel if they want a budget workstation (more RAM/PCIe).

Previously it was possible to get a Threadripper CPU and MOBO for less than the cost of just the entry 3960x CPU.

I know my opinion doesn't matter, but I still think they NEED a max $800 16c TR3 w/ ECC, PCIe 4.0 etc, even if only 64MB cache.
Ideally I'd even say they need to reduce prices...I understand they need to make profit, but they also need much more market share.
This would be my greedy (still somewhat realistic) wish list for launch day retail prices, also would change some names:

3500x $170 Wish this were a retail product (closer fight i5-9400F), I'd price it equidistant from the 3600/3600x

3600 . $200 This price seemed entirely fair, good product at a good price

3600x $230 Would've made it more popular, a potential "why not" for those considering the 3600

3700x $320 A bit cheaper, original price was fair vs what we had not long ago (quad i7s) Should be 3700

3800x $350 Just like the 3600x, needs to be closer to the base product to be worth considering Should be 3700x

3900x $475 Hard call but I think $500 was a fair price, being a neutered TR chip (vs $650 2920x) Should be 3800X

3950x $600 Illogical on AM4, for bragging only or some rare niche (need cores not RAM/PCIe?) Should be 3900x

3955x $750 16c TRX40
For those who need more than 8 cores, 2 channels, 24 PCIe and NOT extreme core counts Should be 3950x

3960x $1300 Should have kept the retail price of the previous 2970wx, increasing market share while still making profit

3970x $1850 Less than current retail, but a little higher priced and still fair vs 2990wx this kind of price creep feels OK

3980x $2600 48c TRX40 They'll probably fill this slot, feels like the highest logical choice for TRX40 (Windows & RAM limits)

3990x $3990 Starts to become silly on TRX40 (Windows core limits, not enough channels/RAM), price can remain as a halo product
I disagree. The 3950x is fine where it is. To go the next step, you double the memory to 4 channel, add PCIE lanes and up the cores 50% The 1950x was $1000 when it came out, and the 2950x is still $700

Starting HEDT at $1400 with 24 very fast cores, 4 channel memory, PCIE4.0 and lots of PCIE lanes blows Intel away. If you want less, the a 1950x or 2950x. Or even go down to 3950x

Reactions: scannall

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I disagree. The 3950x is fine where it is. To go the next step, you double the memory to 4 channel, add PCIE lanes and up the cores 50% The 1950x was $1000 when it came out, and the 2950x is still $700

Starting HEDT at $1400 with 24 very fast cores, 4 channel memory, PCIE4.0 and lots of PCIE lanes blows Intel away. If you want less, the a 1950x or 2950x. Or even go down to 3950x

So everyone who needed more memory and/or more PCIe, who were well served by $550-650 TR parts previously...well now they just don't deserve AMD?
That seems entirely stupid to me.

In fact now Intel is the only option for these people. AMD doesn't blow them away at all, since they don't have a single product in the category anymore.
And when the CPU performance isn't the problem, why would anyone consider a $1400 option vs a $600 one? The 10900x has quad channel and 48 PCIe

A $750 16 core TRX40 with all it's benefits might just "blow away" Intel's entire HEDT lineup as it now stands...but it doesn't exist, and it should.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So everyone who needed more memory and/or more PCIe, who were well served by $550-650 TR parts previously...well now they just don't deserve AMD?
That seems entirely stupid to me.

In fact now Intel is the only option for these people. AMD doesn't blow them away at all, since they don't have a single product in the category anymore.
And when the CPU performance isn't the problem, why would anyone consider a $1400 option vs a $600 one? The 10900x has quad channel and 48 PCIe

A $750 16 core TRX40 with all it's benefits might just "blow away" Intel's entire HEDT lineup as it now stands...but it doesn't exist, and it should.
You are not listening... If you need more memory or PCIE lanes, you STILL have 1950x, 2950x, 2970wx, 2990wx. They just are not quite as fast as the 3960x or 3970x or 3990x.

Oh, and I want to see what Intel has now against my 2970wx. Nothing that I know of. At least in the price range.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
You are not listening... If you need more memory or PCIE lanes, you STILL have 1950x, 2950x, 2970wx, 2990wx. They just are not quite as fast as the 3960x or 3970x or 3990x.

Oh, and I want to see what Intel has now against my 2970wx. Nothing that I know of. At least in the price range.

I'd say it's you who's not listening.

The original Threadripper platform was amazing because it was top of the line and launched at relatively low prices.
It was the HEDT platform for the people, something average individuals could actually afford if they needed it.
It doesn't matter if you can still get old/used hardware cheap. Their new HEDT is now at unattainable prices.
Even if you were willing to consider old/used hardware, TR1/TR2 will eventually dry up.
The new prices are so massively high that even used they'll never enter the realm of TR1/TR2.

There's tons of software and systems that need lots of RAM/PCIe and have no use or not yet scaled up to or past 16 cores.
If you want/need lots of RAM, PCIe, and want to invest in the latest platform, you literally can NOT go AMD.

AMD destroyed a huge opportunity they had created, and have massively priced themselves out of the HEDT market.
They're now in this weird twilight zone between HEDT and server, a place only corporations can afford (and they'll go server).

It's something I can't comprehend. It's like AMD suddenly said "fuck market share, we made a small name for ourselves so lets triple prices!"

If they would've kept an entry TR3 CPU around $600, and made it possible for $400 TRX40 MOBOs, they'd be taking the entire HEDT market.
TRX40 is enough better than TR1/TR2, that with the right price they could've filled all individual, small, and medium business needs.

At an entry price of $750, and $500+ MOBOs...they'd still be a consideration for some and would still beat most of Intel's current lineup.
At it's current price, it can't even compete with Intel and is no longer suitable for any individual and not most small businesses either...

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020

No one told me. I've check. None of the boards are available in the US. And honestly no offense to other countries, but when it comes to my workstation I would prefer a US dealer if there is an issue.

And Buying Direct. I may have to ask but I'm almost stuck on waiting and seeing on what is coming out over the next few months. I'm getting some news in that we going to be seeing stuff from Both AMD and Intel.

Besides just got a huge medical bill so I definitely gotta wait hahaha.