Question Anyone knows when the New Xeons coming out?

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm in the process for planning my next workstation build, and At first I had a configuration that includes an LGA3467 motherboard with Xeon W chips. But it seems as those are being discontinued, and I can't find the motherboard or chips anywhere anymore.

I've heard that Intel releasing some new Xeons with socket LGA4189 chips, with PCIe 4.0 & 5.0, but can't find much info as when those are coming out, and since I'm doing a lot of Music creating and now some CAD work, I need things like ECC RDIMM RAM. Anyone have any info, or at least an even that they will announce them? Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Hello everyone! I'm in the process for planning my next workstation build, and At first I had a configuration that includes an LGA3467 motherboard with Xeon W chips. But it seems as those are being discontinued, and I can't find the motherboard or chips anywhere anymore.

I've heard that Intel releasing some new Xeons with socket LGA4189 chips, with PCIe 4.0 & 5.0, but can't find much info as when those are coming out, and since I'm doing a lot of Music creating and now some CAD work, I need things like ECC RDIMM RAM. Anyone have any info, or at least an even that they will announce them? Help is much appreciated.
Why are you not considering EPYC ? They are faster and cheaper at the moment.

As for your question, I have no idea, Intel is kind of "on hold" for many things right now.

Reactions: guachi

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Why are you not considering EPYC ? They are faster and cheaper at the moment.

As for your question, I have no idea, Intel is kind of "on hold" for many things right now.

I've have, but I don't see many of those either under $1000 for the chips (at least on Newegg). There is a couple. Do you have any suggestions. It MUST support ECC RAM.

Also don't see PCIe 4.0 on those right now. Unless there is something I'm missing.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I've have, but I don't see many of those either under $1000 for the chips (at least on Newegg). There is a couple. Do you have any suggestions. It MUST support ECC RAM.
For the price you mention, the only thing you will get right now is something like the older gen EPYC 7601 on ebay for $750-$850 https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-EPYC-7...002905&hash=item46a88efffc:g:8X8AAOSwHadeO~BZ

Your other option is a 24 core threadripper here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-...sh=item216af1e2c6:g:gl4AAOSwtC1d3CZ0&LH_BIN=1

Those support ECC and the platform is less expensive, just make sure the motherboard says it supports it.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
For the price you mention, the only thing you will get right now is something like the older gen EPYC 7601 on ebay for $750-$850 https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-EPYC-7...002905&hash=item46a88efffc:g:8X8AAOSwHadeO~BZ

Your other option is a 24 core threadripper here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-2970WX-24-Core-3-0-GHz-YD297XAZAFWO/143528157894?epid=6031751839&hash=item216af1e2c6:g:gl4AAOSwtC1d3CZ0&LH_BIN=1

Those support ECC and the platform is less expensive, just make sure the motherboard says it supports it.

Ok. So say we get a Current Epyc one (I like new stuff hahah), what we looking at? Would something like this work?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-epyc-726...819113596?Item=N82E16819113596&quicklink=true

Got PCIe 4.0, got over 3.0GHz speeds. All what a want.

Then gotta find a good motherboard from Asus or Evga or ASRock.

Reactions: lobz

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Ok. So say we get a Current Epyc one (I like new stuff hahah), what we looking at? Would something like this work?

https://www.newegg.com/amd-epyc-726...819113596?Item=N82E16819113596&quicklink=true

Got PCIe 4.0, got over 3.0GHz speeds. All what a want.

Then gotta find a good motherboard from Asus or Evga or ASRock.
That's a nice CPU. It's very late for me right now to look for a good mobo for you, but tomorrow I'll try if someone's not faster than me :) Please let me know, which GPUs and how much RAM and what kind of storage you're planning to use, as some workstation Epyc boards don't do very well with NVDIA GPUs or simply don't support PCIe 4.0, or for example the Gigabyte workstation board has 5 PCIe 4.0 slots, but only PCIe 3.0 M.2 slots... very odd :D so I suggest you do thorough research and / or listening to advice extensively :)
Just don't care about buyer reviews on commercial sites. Those are either happy go lucky customers, or unlucky salty frustrations :)

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Or I found this that can work with the Ryzen stuff

Asus Pro X570-ACE
Well, that is 100% the absolute cheapest solution you can find by far, if you don't need fully officially certified ECC, just need it to work (it will work with this board :) )
It's just 2 channels, but 2x 3600-3800 MT/s should be enough for the workload you mentioned.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Those are both good choices. In the am4 world, you can get 16 screaming cores for $750. But threadripper gives you 4 channels and EPYC gives you 8.

Question is, what software do you run ? Is single core more important than multi core ? how many memory channels do you need ? How many PCIE lanes ? Without more information (mostly the software you run) its really hard to say whats best.

Reactions: spursindonesia

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
That's a nice CPU. It's very late for me right now to look for a good mobo for you, but tomorrow I'll try if someone's not faster than me :) Please let me know, which GPUs and how much RAM and what kind of storage you're planning to use, as some workstation Epyc boards don't do very well with NVDIA GPUs or simply don't support PCIe 4.0, or for example the Gigabyte workstation board has 5 PCIe 4.0 slots, but only PCIe 3.0 M.2 slots... very odd :D so I suggest you do thorough research and / or listening to advice extensively :)
Just don't care about buyer reviews on commercial sites. Those are either happy go lucky customers, or unlucky salty frustrations :)

Yea that is the BIGGEST problem I was having AMD. And I know most my music software typically favors Intel Chipsets a little more. I typically look for Asus Motherboards. But I always thought it would be cool to build an AMD rig. I've been trying to find an excuse for it too. I almost bought one for the FressNAS server I'm building, but Intel dropped a price of the i3 and ended up staying haha.

As far as GPU, It may not be a complete dealbreaker, as I love NVidia, but I do have an AMD Radeon Pro 7100 on the wishlist. I may buy a cheaper one for now because I have an 650 Ti Boost, and definitely need to upgrade. I know gaming cards would be more than enough, but I wanna start taking advantage of some of the workstation cards too. And I'm HIGHLY interested in what Intel is planning with their Xe HP cards, so I may just get a cheaper Radeon Pro for now to hold me off.

I thought since we coming out with PCIe 4.0, why not go with. Though we barely are maxing out PCIe 3.0, if we phasing it out, my OCD will feel better with going PCIe 4.0 where available.

And about the reviews, I only look to see if there is a common problems. I know them mortals don't know how to really build hahah.

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Those are both good choices. In the am4 world, you can get 16 screaming cores for $750. But threadripper gives you 4 channels and EPYC gives you 8.

Question is, what software do you run ? Is single core more important than multi core ? how many memory channels do you need ? How many PCIE lanes ? Without more information (mostly the software you run) its really hard to say whats best.

Yea. I'm reaching out to Intel too to see what they got. Note I don't need it YET. Since the LGA3647 seems to be phasing out, I'm doing another round of research, and I gotta payoff cards from the couple of thousands I just spent on gear. I have an Core-i7 3820 on a LGA2011 socket, and it's held me down since I built it in 2013, with RAM maxed out to 64GB. I believe it is triple channel. So maybe going six to eight channel would be the next step, as I want this to be the best and most powerful build I've did so far.

Software I run is mostly (80% of the time) music production programs. I'm using PreSonus Studio One & Notation, Reason Studios Reason, Avid Pro Tools, and Celemony Melodyne. CAD Programs I'm using is Sketup and FreeCAD.NLE software is Sony Vegas Studio (which will get an upgrade soon). All software I've upgraded, and while most the time it is ok, I run multiple programs at once (Music software I may run four of them simultaneously), and I'm using bigger session, and some of the VI's (virtual instruments) I'm using is starting to have huge files and use a good amount of processes and more RAM. And my current workstation is starting to show its age.

I would say for memory channels, I would probably want about six or more. Planning to go with 32GB sticks. I like to max out the slots. PCIe Lanes, As much as I can get, as I'm planning to install more cards, and even a card just for a particular program. Most gear would still stay PCIe 3.0, and mostly use a x1 or x4 slot, but definitely wanna plan for the future. My current rig is almost eight years and I want my next one to last around the same time. Do wanna have at least 2 PCIe 4.0 x16 just in case I find the need to add some sort of acceleration on the NLE or Graphics software in the future.

Since I'm using music software more than anything, they are a little like running Games. While they like multiple cores and are optimized to it, Single core advantage is a MUST as that is first and core count is second. I don't need 24 cores. I would say I'm looking to go no less than 8 if possible. Preferred to go with a 10 or 12 core system, which I can tell each app how many to take, and would be worlds better than my current quad core. Definitely need clock speeds as my apps does better with clock speeds over 2.9GHz and higher, and my VIs REALLY love the higher clock speeds. I would say close to 4GHz if possible. Even if it is slightly over a grand, then I can at least consider it with my budget.

Typically, I'm looking all together on the new rig between $3,500-$4,000. I know RAM will take up a good chunk of budget but I won't buy it all at the same time initially. I'll probably reuse my rack case which will take a mobo of 12x10". I've already started as I'm adding all SSD's in my Rig, and I got three of them now SSD's thru SATA. The system drive on the next one will be M.2 PCIe, and I could add another PCIe M.2 on the expansion slots. But I do want at least one on the mobo for space saving, and all the recent builds I've been doing for clients I'm loving the system drive on the mobo now.

I know that is long winded but I got an big setup for connection.

Last edited:
Reactions: killster1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK, it sounds like EPYC is your only logical choice. What I don;t know, is if there are any PCIE 4.0 motherboards out there. As for PCIE lanes, EPYC has way more than Intel.

Other than searching for a PCIE 4.0 motherboard, the only question is cores. I can't believe that you only need 8. EPYC offers up to 64 cores, and 2 TB of memory.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
OK, it sounds like EPYC is your only logical choice. What I don;t know, is if there are any PCIE 4.0 motherboards out there. As for PCIE lanes, EPYC has way more than Intel.

Other than searching for a PCIE 4.0 motherboard, the only question is cores. I can't believe that you only need 8. EPYC offers up to 64 cores, and 2 TB of memory.

For his particular needs, I would say Xeon W with C422 chipset would fit his requirements better, though only thing it lacks is PCIe 4.0 support but doesn't look like it is on high priority right now. Lot of his work still needs high clock speed vs core counts and Xeon W hits lot higher turbo speed compared to EPYC which is still limited to 3.35~3.4 even on 8-12 cores. Xeon W supports RDIMM and LRDIMM as well. EPYC isn't really a great platform for his use case.

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020

Most software doesn't do too bad now with normal stuff. But I wanna run at a lower buffer (which RAM latency may play a part). I don't need 2TB of memory, thought it will be nice to have a board that does support it, so I can say my board support more than a Mac Pro :D I'm thinking I'll put about 384GB and that would be MORE than enough.

PCIe 4.0 isn't a complete deal breaker, but I thought since maybe around fall they may come out, I'll get something that have it. But honestly we not even using the most of PCIe3.0, so may not be a huge deal. I'll probably should be fine with sticking with PCIe 3.0. The audio industry won't be rushing to get cards on that anyway as they move slow, so PCIe 4.0 would really only be for an M.2 SSD.

As far a core count, I was saying I would take no less than eight. I'll probably do better with a 10, 12, or 16 core. Don't need more than 16 honestly with what I'm running. 24 is just overkill.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Yea that is the BIGGEST problem I was having AMD. And I know most my music software typically favors Intel Chipsets a little more. I typically look for Asus Motherboards. But I always thought it would be cool to build an AMD rig. I've been trying to find an excuse for it too. I almost bought one for the FressNAS server I'm building, but Intel dropped a price of the i3 and ended up staying haha.

As far as GPU, It may not be a complete dealbreaker, as I love NVidia, but I do have an AMD Radeon Pro 7100 on the wishlist. I may buy a cheaper one for now because I have an 650 Ti Boost, and definitely need to upgrade. I know gaming cards would be more than enough, but I wanna start taking advantage of some of the workstation cards too. And I'm HIGHLY interested in what Intel is planning with their Xe HP cards, so I may just get a cheaper Radeon Pro for now to hold me off.

I thought since we coming out with PCIe 4.0, why not go with. Though we barely are maxing out PCIe 3.0, if we phasing it out, my OCD will feel better with going PCIe 4.0 where available.

And about the reviews, I only look to see if there is a common problems. I know them mortals don't know how to really build hahah.
oh that's no problem on the GPU front, it's only the Gigabyte workstation Epyc board that for some reason don't give full 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes to NVIDIA GPUs. It would only be a concern when you'd really need the full 16x bandwidth, which in your case, doesn't apply :)

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
IF it requires to be officially certified, then yes. Otherwise no.

I typically look at the mobo manufacturers compatibility when it comes to CPU's and RAM, as I need the system to be stable and compatible above everything. So if it is on their list, I will get those that was suggested and tested.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
oh that's no problem on the GPU front, it's only the Gigabyte workstation Epyc board that for some reason don't give full 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes to NVIDIA GPUs. It would only be a concern when you'd really need the full 16x bandwidth, which in your case, doesn't apply :)

That is weird. If the GPU likes x16 times then I want it to use all of it, but I don't think we really use that many lanes anyway for the most part. But like I said earlier I do look for Asus board first as I've had the most success from their boards. I do know EVGA have some good boards and haven't touched one in years, but we shall see. I know their workstation boards can go for $2,000 :oops::oops::oops:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That is weird. If the GPU likes x16 times then I want it to use all of it, but I don't think we really use that many lanes anyway for the most part. But like I said earlier I do look for Asus board first as I've had the most success from their boards. I do know EVGA have some good boards and haven't touched one in years, but we shall see. I know their workstation boards can go for $2,000 :oops::oops::oops:
OK, based on what you have said, I think I have the perfect solution. 2 of the EPYC 8 core CPUs you linked, with 16 of the 16 gig rdimms. You have 256 PCIE lanes (I think) 256 gig ram, 16 cores (max you said you could use)

Motherboard (I have this one) https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...0-series/p/1B4-005W-001E0?Item=1B4-005W-001E0 $637

16 of these(I have these): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTTMSZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 about $1100 for 256 gig of ram

2 of these to cool it( I have these): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX2SX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $80 each or $160 total

And 2 of the CPU : https://www.newegg.com/amd-epyc-726...819113596?Item=N82E16819113596&quicklink=true $1300

So not counting PSU, case and storage, $3200 for 16 fast cores, 256 gig ram. And those CPUs say PCIE4. Not sure if that extends to the motherboard...

That will be killer for your purposes.

Edit, typos

Last edited:
Reactions: Markeyse

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I just meant, do the thorough research and make sure everything plays nice with each other in your system :) I'm sure you'll build an awesome rig. Xeon-W is horrendously expensive, on Epyc 7002 series levels. ECC and eventually 256+ RAM = Epyc workstation.