Question Anyone knows when the New Xeons coming out?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm in the process for planning my next workstation build, and At first I had a configuration that includes an LGA3467 motherboard with Xeon W chips. But it seems as those are being discontinued, and I can't find the motherboard or chips anywhere anymore.

I've heard that Intel releasing some new Xeons with socket LGA4189 chips, with PCIe 4.0 & 5.0, but can't find much info as when those are coming out, and since I'm doing a lot of Music creating and now some CAD work, I need things like ECC RDIMM RAM. Anyone have any info, or at least an even that they will announce them? Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
So Epyc doesn't have anything like Intel's QPI link?
The PCI-E physical interface is shared with the infinity fabric inter socket interface. When running with only 1P all 128 lanes are used for PCI-E. in 2P config 64 are used from each processor to form the infinity fabric, they dont run PCI-E protocol and run at a higher clock rate then PCi-E for more bandwidth. The remaining 64 lanes from each Processor are free for PCI-E allowing 128 lanes. There are some Rome 2P motherboard configurations that are setup as 160 PCI-E / 96 Infinity fabric.

Reactions: extide and Markeyse

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
The PCI-E physical interface is shared with the infinity fabric inter socket interface. When running with only 1P all 128 lanes are used for PCI-E. in 2P config 64 are used from each processor to form the infinity fabric, they dont run PCI-E protocol and run at a higher clock rate then PCi-E for more bandwidth. The remaining 64 lanes from each Processor are free for PCI-E allowing 128 lanes. There are some Rome 2P motherboard configurations that are setup as 160 PCI-E / 96 Infinity fabric.

Got ya. That makes sense.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Intel is actually in the middle of refreshing Cascade Lake:

Apparently it will be cheaper. That being said, currently AMD Threadripper/EPYC may be much better choices depending on your budget and workload.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
I'm sorry what?
Here's a link for you that shows that if you don't make a children's song consisting of 2 tracks, you can sure use all threads with modern software.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1266481-ryzen-3000-series-28.html#post14333456

FYI: I use music production software for some 1,5 decades now, but feel free to contradict me, I'm actually curious how did you get this thought of yours.

Case by case. I don't think i ever said having more cores isn't important but having a higher boost on few cores will benefit greatly. Cases where you use outside real-time plug in effect or loading up the lot of effects on single channel (usually on master channel), having a higher turbo boost on 1-4 cores will be beneficial.
Reason I mentioneed 3950x instead of EPYC, since 3950x will give you far higher turbo boost speed for those situations, or Xeon W, with enough core counts, turbo speed, and RDIMM support with maximum of 1TB of memory.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Intel is actually in the middle of refreshing Cascade Lake:

Apparently it will be cheaper. That being said, currently AMD Threadripper/EPYC may be much better choices depending on your budget and workload.

Hopefully that will be the case with the Xeon W's too. Feb 23rd isn't far and could answer why we are barely seeing products for that socket.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The only thing is, you can't find them anymore. Love the 64 Lanes. Love the DDR2933 native compatibility. I'm cool with the base frequency. But can't find it or the motherboard to go along with it:

I actually had something better than that, but Newegg put it as discontinued, and you can't find it anymore either. Even this board is discontinued.

Asus Pro WS C621-64L SAGE /10G

Nice board but DAMN that price!
Have you looked at getting a custom workstation from a system integrator instead? You'll have a better chance of getting the parts if you go that route. Something like this:

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Case by case. I don't think i ever said having more cores isn't important but having a higher boost on few cores will benefit greatly. Cases where you use outside real-time plug in effect or loading up the lot of effects on single channel (usually on master channel), having a higher turbo boost on 1-4 cores will be beneficial.
Reason I mentioneed 3950x instead of EPYC, since 3950x will give you far higher turbo boost speed for those situations, or Xeon W, with enough core counts, turbo speed, and RDIMM support with maximum of 1TB of memory.
Beneficial enough to invest in a dead platform? Sure. Have fun with Xeon-W (also have fun with finding one without having to sell both your kidneys).

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
Beneficial enough to invest in a dead platform? Sure. Have fun with Xeon-W (also have fun with finding one without having to sell both your kidneys).

Xeon W on C422, not the LGA3647 one. And no, you don't have to sell your kidneys for that. :) Newest Xeon W on LGA2066 supports both RDIMM and LRDIMM with up to 1TB of RAM, something Threadripper lacks sadly.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
No. But looking to build it myself. Ain't no fun in ordering a built machine hahaha.
Amazon has the C422 SAGE Motherboard in stock:
This is for the LGA2066 Xeons. The difference being 4-channel memory instead of 6-channel.

As for the CPU, your only hope is looking at electronics distributors like Mouser or ShopBLT.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Xeon W on C422, not the LGA3647 one. And no, you don't have to sell your kidneys for that. :) Newest Xeon W on LGA2066 supports both RDIMM and LRDIMM with up to 1TB of RAM, something Threadripper lacks sadly.
I can read, thanks. That is a dead platform.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Amazon has the C422 SAGE Motherboard in stock:
This is for the LGA2066 Xeons. The difference being 4-channel memory instead of 6-channel.

As for the CPU, your only hope is looking at electronics distributors like Mouser or ShopBLT.

Thank you!

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
For his particular use cases, with less than 16 cores. Xeon W on C422 platform hits 4.5+ turbo speed, with proper ECC support. I would say that satisfies his requirements better. For the workflow that occasionally stresses 2-4 cores more than all-cores, EPYC is a poor choice
For that particular niche you are likely right. While I usually find it hard to suggest Intel, in this market and at this time there are edge cases where it is probably a better choice.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
What's the relevance anyway? The OP is upgrading from Sandy Bridge-E.
I'm starting to wonder if some of the OP's posts are invisible for some people in the thread. I'm a bit tired of speaking in his name, so I'll just leave it to fate if he's gonna be stuck on C422 after spending a fortune for such an up-to-date platform or not. I've already given my advice, no point in arguing with anyone else.

Reactions: Markeyse

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if some of the OP's posts are invisible for some people in the thread. I'm a bit tired of speaking in his name, so I'll just leave it to fate if he's gonna be stuck on C422 after spending a fortune for such an up-to-date platform or not. I've already given my advice, no point in arguing with anyone else.
They're definitely invisible to some people, since the OP has clearly stated that his current system is an i7 3820 he built in 2013. For someone who upgrades once in 7 years, the longevity of a platform is UTTERLY IRRELEVANT.

Last edited:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
I wasn't going to go with a C422 system actually. I was more looking into the C621 Platform. But both could be coming to be discontinued too.

The good thing is that I'm purely in the research stage, and I won't actually start buying stuff until the fall. I've upgraded a lot of my studio equipment, and I'm upgrading HDD's to SSD's. Then I get my car paid off so I won't do anything until then, which should put me around fall of this year. That way all the new stuff from both AMD and Intel will be out!

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
The good thing is that I'm purely in the research stage, and I won't actually start buying stuff until the fall.
well this is important information
there will be 2 contenders for you if you need RDIMMs
the new milan EPYC, which is very probable to come for fair money and very nice IPC boost, just AMD needs to release like 4GHz less cores variant which I have doubts because they need to catch when they are strongest- high core counts cloud gamers
the second is Intel's icelake xeon W, which should provide you with the ST and low thread horsepower, but dont expect a low price- but the probability of release is much lower than with EPYC
considering what you told us 1000 EUR is to be reconsidered as CPU budget especially with like 256-512 GB of ECC RDIMMS of 2666 MHz+
CPU price will be walk in the park comparing to those
today I would recommend the Xeon W

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
They're definitely invisible to some people, since the OP has clearly stated that his current system is an i7 3820 he built in 2013. For someone who upgrades once in 7 years, the longevity of a platform is UTTERLY IRRELEVANT.
As I said. OP's posts are free to read.

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
oh that's no problem on the GPU front, it's only the Gigabyte workstation Epyc board that for some reason don't give full 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes to NVIDIA GPUs. It would only be a concern when you'd really need the full 16x bandwidth, which in your case, doesn't apply :)
Which one of the 7 workstation boards are you referring to ?
Can you please provide a link to who determined that?
Thank you.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
well this is important information
there will be 2 contenders for you if you need RDIMMs
the new milan EPYC, which is very probable to come for fair money and very nice IPC boost, just AMD needs to release like 4GHz less cores variant which I have doubts because they need to catch when they are strongest- high core counts cloud gamers
the second is Intel's icelake xeon W, which should provide you with the ST and low thread horsepower, but dont expect a low price- but the probability of release is much lower than with EPYC
considering what you told us 1000 EUR is to be reconsidered as CPU budget especially with like 256-512 GB of ECC RDIMMS of 2666 MHz+
CPU price will be walk in the park comparing to those
today I would recommend the Xeon W

Yes and that is the good thing about waiting. Like I've said earlier, I'll build up the little stuff too. Getting my Server up, getting the workstation to be fully SSD's, Probably upgrade the PSU from 80 Bronze to Gold or platinum, start updating some of the case fans, etc.

IT will be interesting to see what AMD and Intel will come out with next. And I would like to see AMD do higher clock speeds. I don't need a stupid amount of cores (thought I do hahaha), but I need the clock speed in which the apps will fully benefit from so I can be more efficient in my workflow. We shall see. But yea I've always went with Intel for this reason of it fits my "niche" needs. But I got a lot of love for AMD and wanna figure out a build one day. Maybe it is this build, or maybe not, but we shall see around the September timeframe what I will go with. I just wanna see the new stuff they both coming out with. I want this to be a true HEDT Workstation, full with all the stops and stability and speed. And I DEFINITELY want ECC RDIMM RAM. Been wanting those for a while now, and I'm gonna make it happen this year.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Yes and that is the good thing about waiting. Like I've said earlier, I'll build up the little stuff too. Getting my Server up, getting the workstation to be fully SSD's, Probably upgrade the PSU from 80 Bronze to Gold or platinum, start updating some of the case fans, etc.

IT will be interesting to see what AMD and Intel will come out with next. And I would like to see AMD do higher clock speeds. I don't need a stupid amount of cores (thought I do hahaha), but I need the clock speed in which the apps will fully benefit from so I can be more efficient in my workflow. We shall see. But yea I've always went with Intel for this reason of it fits my "niche" needs. But I got a lot of love for AMD and wanna figure out a build one day. Maybe it is this build, or maybe not, but we shall see around the September timeframe what I will go with. I just wanna see the new stuff they both coming out with. I want this to be a true HEDT Workstation, full with all the stops and stability and speed. And I DEFINITELY want ECC RDIMM RAM. Been wanting those for a while now, and I'm gonna make it happen this year.
Well, the box I spec'ed out above is ECC and fairly high clocks. You may not see higher clocks from anybody, even later this year. Its also not that spendy.

Waiting to see what you do.....

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Well, the box I spec'ed out above is ECC and fairly high clocks. You may not see higher clocks from anybody, even later this year. Its also not that spendy.

Waiting to see what you do.....

Yea Mark. You got me more interested in AMD. I was thinking about a dual CPU at one point, but with the new CPUs I know we can do just about the same with one. I'm still wondering how you got that monster board to fit an ATX space. I gotta measure the insides of my case later.