Question Anyone knows when the New Xeons coming out?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Hello everyone! I'm in the process for planning my next workstation build, and At first I had a configuration that includes an LGA3467 motherboard with Xeon W chips. But it seems as those are being discontinued, and I can't find the motherboard or chips anywhere anymore.

I've heard that Intel releasing some new Xeons with socket LGA4189 chips, with PCIe 4.0 & 5.0, but can't find much info as when those are coming out, and since I'm doing a lot of Music creating and now some CAD work, I need things like ECC RDIMM RAM. Anyone have any info, or at least an even that they will announce them? Help is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just meant, do the thorough research and make sure everything plays nice with each other in your system :) I'm sure you'll build an awesome rig. Xeon-W is horrendously expensive, on Epyc 7002 series levels. ECC and eventually 256+ RAM = Epyc workstation.
See my post above. I have most of those parts. And for his purposes, 16 very fast EPYC 8 channel memory cores and 256 gig of ECC ram will be killer for that price.

Oh, and in case you want to see all these parts (except the CPU's are different) Here you go :
5Gr0BgB.jpg

Last edited:

SarahKerrigan

Oct 12, 2014
Great, except he says he can't use more than 16 cores, and wants official ECC support, and a lot of PCIE lanes. (256)

In dual-processor Epyc configs, half of the PCIe lanes are unavailable due to the interface being used for SMP. So it would still be 128 lanes for a 2s config, not 256.

• Wow
Reactions: Markeyse

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I wouldn't recommend EPYC for music productions since lot of workflows prefer higher clock speed. EPYC isn't really suited for that.
Honestly, I don't really see Music production has particular needs for ECC memory either.
For his purposes, 3950x would be perfect with 128GB of memory.
3.4 ghz is not enough ? The fastest 16 core 6 6142 Xeon is $8000 and runs at 2.6 ghz. What I speced out of way cheaper, and faster. He wants ECC, so you got a better idea ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I wouldn't recommend EPYC for music productions since lot of workflows prefer higher clock speed. EPYC isn't really suited for that.
Honestly, I don't really see Music production has particular needs for ECC memory either.
2 channel vs 8 channel memory ? I think EPYC wins.. But maybe, we will see what he thinks.

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
3.4 ghz is not enough ?

For his particular use cases, with less than 16 cores. Xeon W on C422 platform hits 4.5+ turbo speed, with proper ECC support. I would say that satisfies his requirements better. For the workflow that occasionally stresses 2-4 cores more than all-cores, EPYC is a poor choice

Last edited:

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
That is one of the worst advisory posts I've read in a month.

Try to read through the thread next time.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
@Markeyse
could you please be more specific with what you need to run ?

I used to be a music techie (mostly PT and LP 9 / X) and .. well, LP9 ran on a C2Q and Logic X on a Sandy Bridge 2400. So i'm kinda perplexed as to what music software requires you to have anything more than a i5.

Same goes for the need of PCIE 4, specifically 256 lanes of it, and also everything else.

I get that you have had some issues with a chipset but, in my experience, that's more likely to have been a just-on-that-machine case, rather than a common occurrence.

EDIT: nm, i see from your post: PreSonus Studio One & Notation, Reason Studios Reason, Avid Pro Tools, and Celemony Melodyne.

none of these have the requirements you posted. or, you know, none that i know of, although maybe things have gotten worse in the last couple of years.
i'm still curious as to where you got those system requirements from, as those that i know, of these softwares, will run easily on a few-gernerations-old HEDT.

FYI: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-System-Requirements

JasonLD

Aug 22, 2017
That is one of the worst advisory posts I've read in a month.

Try to read through the thread next time.

Unless you are building a big production server, Ryzens and i7 are better suited for those kind of works.
I don't really care if you disagree or not, but do it without the insult next time.

Reactions: extide

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
OK, based on what you have said, I think I have the perfect solution. 2 of the EPYC 8 core CPUs you linked, with 16 of the 16 gig rdimms. You have 256 PCIE lanes (I think) 256 gig ram, 16 cores (max you said you could use)

Motherboard (I have this one) https://www.newegg.com/supermicro-m...0-series/p/1B4-005W-001E0?Item=1B4-005W-001E0 $637

16 of these(I have these): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FTTMSZD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 about $1100 for 256 gig of ram

2 of these to cool it( I have these): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074DX2SX7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $80 each or $160 total

And 2 of the CPU : https://www.newegg.com/amd-epyc-726...819113596?Item=N82E16819113596&quicklink=true $1300

So not counting PSU, case and storage, $3200 for 16 fast cores, 256 gig ram. And those CPUs say PCIE4. Not sure if that extends to the motherboard...

That will be killer for your purposes.

Edit, typos

That is a Beast of a system and would be good, but the motherboard won't fit my case. I may even need to get a desk. But I seen This guy, AMD Epyc 7302 that may fit the build.

I won't need 256 Lanes. I think 128 is more than plenty and will do it.

And yea Motherboard is always the issue with AMD.

I just meant, do the thorough research and make sure everything plays nice with each other in your system :) I'm sure you'll build an awesome rig. Xeon-W is horrendously expensive, on Epyc 7002 series levels. ECC and eventually 256+ RAM = Epyc workstation.

There was one for about $800, but it was discontinued. now I don't even see them on sites. I'm sure Intel coming out with something new, but it would be good to know when.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
See my post above. I have most of those parts. And for his purposes, 16 very fast EPYC 8 channel memory cores and 256 gig of ECC ram will be killer for that price.

Oh, and in case you want to see all these parts (except the CPU's are different) Here you go :
5Gr0BgB.jpg

What case you have?

have you seen what the new threadripper can do ? (at $4grand )

Yes, on a generic test. Not a real world test with My Apps.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Unless you are building a big production server, Ryzens and i7 are better suited for those kind of works.
I don't really care if you disagree or not, but do it without the insult next time.
What insult? Your post didn't make any sense regarding the OP's use case. Yeah what an outrageous insult!

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
For his particular use cases, with less than 16 cores. Xeon W on C422 platform hits 4.5+ turbo speed, with proper ECC support. I would say that satisfies his requirements better. For the workflow that occasionally stresses 2-4 cores more than all-cores, EPYC is a poor choice
I'm sorry what?
Here's a link for you that shows that if you don't make a children's song consisting of 2 tracks, you can sure use all threads with modern software.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1266481-ryzen-3000-series-28.html#post14333456

FYI: I use music production software for some 1,5 decades now, but feel free to contradict me, I'm actually curious how did you get this thought of yours.

• Haha
Reactions: Markeyse

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
Great, except he says he can't use more than 16 cores, and wants official ECC support, and a lot of PCIE lanes. (256)

Not that I can't use them, I just don't think I would take advantage of it. I also want a good balance of performance and price. My 3820 I think was about $400. So time to step it up. I wouldn't need 256 PCIe Lanes. I think that we will do good with half.

In dual-processor Epyc configs, half of the PCIe lanes are unavailable due to the interface being used for SMP. So it would still be 128 lanes for a 2s config, not 256.

So Epyc doesn't have anything like Intel's QPI link?

3.4 ghz is not enough ? The fastest 16 core 6 6142 Xeon is $8000 and runs at 2.6 ghz. What I speced out of way cheaper, and faster. He wants ECC, so you got a better idea ?

It is also depending if you are talking about the Scaleable Xeons or the Workstation Xeons. Scaleable, yes, they are pricey and runs at a lower speed, but they are more for server, not workstation. Their Xeon W are still pricey, but they can still be had (when they was out) for around a grand, and had a clock speed of 3.8GHz. I think Apple Bought up all the Xeon W's and selling them for double.

I think they would be fine. I'm not saying I'm going to go with AMD either, but I've always wanted to try it. I do agree that Intel is better for music production. And while we can say we don't need ECC, it is good to have in an important sessions with finicky software like Pro Tools (And if you have used Pro Tools, you WILL KNOW what I am talking about). So ECC would help out a lot for that.

2 channel vs 8 channel memory ? I think EPYC wins.. But maybe, we will see what he thinks.

I do like more channels ;)

More GHz the better.

@Markeyse
could you please be more specific with what you need to run ?

I used to be a music techie (mostly PT and LP 9 / X) and .. well, LP9 ran on a C2Q and Logic X on a Sandy Bridge 2400. So i'm kinda perplexed as to what music software requires you to have anything more than a i5.

Same goes for the need of PCIE 4, specifically 256 lanes of it, and also everything else.

I get that you have had some issues with a chipset but, in my experience, that's more likely to have been a just-on-that-machine case, rather than a common occurrence.

EDIT: nm, i see from your post: PreSonus Studio One & Notation, Reason Studios Reason, Avid Pro Tools, and Celemony Melodyne.

none of these have the requirements you posted. or, you know, none that i know of, although maybe things have gotten worse in the last couple of years.
i'm still curious as to where you got those system requirements from, as those that i know, of these softwares, will run easily on a few-gernerations-old HEDT.

FYI: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/compatibility/Pro-Tools-System-Requirements

I using more VI's, and better quality, which means the samples are bigger. I bought this great sounding ReFill for reason, but it does use more processes, and a couple of the stock instruments now, uses a lot of processes because of the design. So my needs are starting to get bigger. I'm not saying that it is absolutely slamming my processor yet, but I know that if I use more than a couple of instances of them, it will be tapping it. So yes I will need a little more juice than an i5 have. My Surface Pro has an i5 so I know.

I've also said I needed PCIe 4.0. Just thinking of the future. I've also said I needed 256 Lanes either.

And yes the stuff I know will run off a older system, but I'm looking to build a system for the next 10 years, and not just today.

Besides, you posted a link with minimum requirements. No one uses minimum requirements.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
So fast single-core and >256 GB RAM is still a requirement, right? If that is the case then this Xeon fits the bill:

This is the motherboard to go along with it:

It is pretty barebones, so you'll need PCIe expansion cards for your storage and connectivity requirements.

If you want something with more features but are willing to restrict yourself to 192 GB RAM, then have a look at the EVGA SR-3 DARK.

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
This Rosewill. Its not much bigger than an ATX. $90, but I think I got it on sales for less.

And you see I was wrong, you ONLY get 128 PCIE lanes.

Crazy. The sites says that is a 12x13 E-ATX, and you fit that in an Rosewill ATX? DUDE! That must be a tight fit.

And cool with the PCIe lanes. Lets just say that maximum with about Six slots;

x16 PCIe GPU
x16 PCIe GPU (accelerator)
x1 PCIe USB card
x1 PCIe USB card
x4 PCIe Video Capture Card
x4 PCIe M.2 Adapter

Give or take that will do it!

Thanks too Mark for your suggestions! Good ideas you gave me if I roll with the red label.

this is looking more and more like one of those "i need 2x 480 to play minecraft" threads from years back.
just an example, https://milocostudios.com/studios/angelic-studio/equipment/
running PT 12: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/Pro-Tools-12-System-Requirements
which will run on a home PC i5 with HDD.
You know .. a studio that has Neve consoles.
Aaand with that im out.

So that Workflow won't work for me, and if you are using a Neve console, you are probably not using a lot of plugs or VI. I'm all in the box for the exception of my front end.
And again, I'm not building a computer for today. And if I'm doing CAD, those have their set of requirements. So that won't work.

I'm sorry what?
Here's a link for you that shows that if you don't make a children's song consisting of 2 tracks, you can sure use all threads with modern software.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1266481-ryzen-3000-series-28.html#post14333456

FYI: I use music production software for some 1,5 decades now, but feel free to contradict me, I'm actually curious how did you get this thought of yours.

:oops::cool:

Markeyse

Feb 9, 2020
So fast single-core and >256 GB RAM is still a requirement, right? If that is the case then this Xeon fits the bill:

The only thing is, you can't find them anymore. Love the 64 Lanes. Love the DDR2933 native compatibility. I'm cool with the base frequency. But can't find it or the motherboard to go along with it:

It is pretty barebones, so you'll need PCIe expansion cards for your storage and connectivity requirements.

I actually had something better than that, but Newegg put it as discontinued, and you can't find it anymore either. Even this board is discontinued.

Asus Pro WS C621-64L SAGE /10G

If you want something with more features but are willing to restrict yourself to 192 GB RAM, then have a look at the EVGA SR-3 DARK.

Nice board but DAMN that price!