Anyone here watch Anime? If yes recommend some good Anime here :)

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I'll make my biennial appearance here and say that I'm heavy into Black Butler. I had watched s01 years ago and loved it but I forgot most of the plot. So I binged S02 and was a bit lost. Going to rewatch all 24 episodes of S01 and then do S03.

I'm still not really clear on how < SPOILER >. I guess I get the idea that he was possessed but you'd think that a contract would have to have consent by the consciousness affected by the deal not some body jacker.

You might want to spoiler that even though it's an older show, not everyone knows Soylent Green is people :) . It happened in season 2. I was quite annoyed by that since I thought it made little sense and the ending of season 1 was perfect for the story.

Reactions: Charmonium

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Watching Bakuman

Bakuman is a good show. Although, I think I read the manga for most of it. You could say it's sort of like the manga version of Shirobako, but I think that's oversimplifying it as Bakuman focuses more on the creators and their toils where Shirobako is more on the assistant attempting to navigate the crazy world of anime production.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Bakuman is a good show. Although, I think I read the manga for most of it. You could say it's sort of like the manga version of Shirobako, but I think that's oversimplifying it as Bakuman focuses more on the creators and their toils where Shirobako is more on the assistant attempting to navigate the crazy world of anime production.

Haven't read manga in decades.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I have finished all the seasons and I rated the show 9.3/10. The story is so well written, everything feels so real. I think most
of the story is real (ive read somewhere ages ago). The romance is super cute between Mashiro and Miho too! :hearteyes:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens was decent. Has the Lupin III vibe going.

I stopped watching it once they finished what I guess you'd call the first arc, and I saw that the next episode was going to be a baseball episode. Of course, it didn't help that the twist from the first arc was about as clear as glass. For a while, I was just thinking, "No, they won't do that... it's just too obvious."

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I stopped watching it once they finished what I guess you'd call the first arc, and I saw that the next episode was going to be a baseball episode. Of course, it didn't help that the twist from the first arc was about as clear as glass. For a while, I was just thinking, "No, they won't do that... it's just too obvious."

I think of it along the line of we cannot come up with a convincing twist without invoking deus ex machina, so let's not try.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I enjoyed Violet Evergarden on Netflix. It's much more about emotional drama than action (though there is some), and it's more serious and mature than most anime.

A.I.C.O. also on Netflix was a somewhat entertaining sci-fi nonsense action show. Don't think too hard about the bio-science.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am enjoying Hinamatsuri. Last Period is so so gag. Rupan Sansei V is ok I guess. Still don't get why Legends of Galactic Heroes need a refresh.

Shokugeki no Souma is a bore.
Megalo Box is average
Black Clover is slooooow
Boku no Hero Academia is not bad.
Butlers - awful
Darling in the Frankxx - decent
Golden Kamuy - decent
Isekai Izakaya - don't know what they are going for.
Nil Admirani no Tenbin - awful
Souten no Ken - Didn't finish first episode...
SAO Alternative GGO - average. hopefully story picks up.
Uma Musume - wtfbbq
Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai - average
Rokuhoudou Yotsuiro Biyori - I keep expecting this to turn into Chip n Dale
Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru - meh
Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi - average
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - meh
3D Kanojo Real Girl - meh

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Shokugeki no Souma is a bore.
Megalo Box is average
Darling in the Frankxx - decent
Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai - average
Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - meh
3D Kanojo Real Girl - meh

I'm not watching too many this season, but out of what I am watching...

Hisone to Masotan - I think it's a fun, goofy series with a rather simplistic art style. It isn't exactly doing anything ground-breaking and it's sometimes a bit obvious to see where they'll go, but it's still fun overall. The series is about a girl with no social tact (says whatever is on her mind) who decides to go into the air force. She ends up being recruited as an "OTF pilot" where the OTFs are dragons that are hidden underneath shells that resemble actual planes such as an F15. Oh, and you pilot these dragons front within their stomachs.

Megalo Box - I think the art style helps with this one a bit. It will remind you a lot of mid-to-late-90s anime... especially since they shrunk the video and resized it to give it that old feel along with a similar art style. I was a bit surprised at how they seemed to breeze past a few fights in a single episode. The series is about a future where boxing has been "upgraded" to being performed with mechanical enhancements called "gears". The story focuses on a man (who just goes by his ring name) who's looking to go beyond just throwing fights for a living. The anime is effectively a newer reimagining of Ashita no Joe in spirit of its 50th anniversary.

Shokugeki no Soma - I actually think this season has been a bit of an uptick overall. I don't think any season has come close to the fun of the first season, but this is better than the snooze-fest of a second season. I think it helps that they're not just at the school.

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai - This is one that I heard some good things about, and I decided to check it out. I was really digging the first episode, so I went into the second. Wow... talk about a complete letdown. The second episode was just so bland and boring that I pretty much stopped watching it.

3D Kanojo Real Girl - This series is.... okay. It's kind of like GAMERS but not nearly as intolerable. Don't get me wrong... it will still have you facepalming whenever the main character does something so obviously dumb toward his "normie" girlfriend. The series has a pretty basic premise where this girl who is somewhat of a loner due to a bad reputation ends up falling for the main character who is a stereotypical (anime) otaku.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - I can pretty much sum this up with one statement... the characters just aren't all that likable or endearing, so it really isn't that interesting to watch. Although, I do find it interesting seeing all of the licensed imagery in the show. This show is about a fujoshi who transfers to a new company to escape her old job where people found out about her nerdiness. She ends up running into an old, nerdy classmate, and the two decide to date.

Darling in the FRANXX - Overall, I still enjoy the show. It's sort of gotten over its first sub-plot arc, and I do wonder if the quality can keep up. I think the biggest thing to say about this show is that while it comes across as a mecha show, it really isn't one. It has mechs in it, but the show is predominately focused on the inter-personal relationships between its young teen characters and the issues of their inter-sex relationships. It kind of sounds a bit dorky, but it's sort of a take on self-discovery.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
SAO Alternative GGO - average. hopefully story picks up

I'm enjoying Gun Gale Online more than that, but as just a fun show that doesn't to have any deeper meaning to it.

Darling in the FRANXX - I refer to it snidely as Mecha Sex Party since piloting consists of the guy mounting up behind the kneeling girl, waiting for her butt lights to appear and then pulling vigorously on his levers. Despite that it's not too bad of an Evangelion wannabe.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm enjoying Gun Gale Online more than that, but as just a fun show that doesn't to have any deeper meaning to it.

I thought it was interesting when I heard that how they mentioned the sponsor of Squad Jam is actually a reference to the light novel's writer, Shigusawa Keiichi. (He's probably best known for Kino no Tabi.) Apparently, he asked the publisher of SAO if he could write his own story in the universe centered around GGO since he's a huge fan of guns.

Darling in the FRANXX - I refer to it snidely as Mecha Sex Party since piloting consists of the guy mounting up behind the kneeling girl, waiting for her butt lights to appear and then pulling vigorously on his levers. Despite that it's not too bad of an Evangelion wannabe.

Well, I mean... outside of the lack of actual sex in the show (yet! :p), the show does strongly focus on the character's growing (puberty, etc) and their interpersonal relationships. That's why I thought it was awkward when people were complaining about the show being this sexual glorification. Is there obvious sexual symbolism? Yes, but I think once you realize that the show focuses on what I mentioned earlier, it makes a bit more sense. It also becomes a lot more clear when you see that the group that we follow is the only group that acts like that... or rather, is given the freedom to act like that.

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
I just recently watched Aggretsuko on Netflix.

Pretty simple setup, but still funny and weird in a good sense. Also, I thought that every episode being 15 minutes each would be a bad thing, but I ended up liking the fact that each episode doesn't overstay its welcome any longer than necessary. Considering the source material was based off of one-minute shorts, having short episodes works well here.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
(Gun Gale Online)
I thought it was interesting when I heard that how they mentioned the sponsor of Squad Jam is actually a reference to the light novel's writer, Shigusawa Keiichi. (He's probably best known for Kino no Tabi.) Apparently, he asked the publisher of SAO if he could write his own story in the universe centered around GGO since he's a huge fan of guns.

Yes, I read that too. It's a simple show so far, but it has surprised me in fun ways. Like

the bit with the letter - I figured it would lead to him trying to kill her, but they changed it up with why (it wasn't an order to do it) and with her avoiding the shot and turning the tables on him.

( Darling in the Franxx)

Well, I mean... outside of the lack of actual sex in the show (yet! :p), the show does strongly focus on the character's growing (puberty, etc) and their interpersonal relationships. That's why I thought it was awkward when people were complaining about the show being this sexual glorification. Is there obvious sexual symbolism? Yes, but I think once you realize that the show focuses on what I mentioned earlier, it makes a bit more sense. It also becomes a lot more clear when you see that the group that we follow is the only group that acts like that... or rather, is given the freedom to act like that.

I mock the show for the, ahem, in your face nature of the metaphor of piloting as sex, but it is a decent drama about growing up as test subjects controlled by people who aren't very human themselves any more.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
80 page thread so pardon the laziness.

I just finished Attack on Titan season 2. Love the show, but the wait for season 3 will be annoying. Are there other anime that are similar to AoT? I mean from a "mystery" stand point (wondering what's the deal with the titans and slowly getting more info as the show progresses).

Just finished S3 on Hulu (subtitled only, unfortunately). I didn't care for the animation style change, but the story really delivered halfway through. I always get nervous when shows build up the ultimate explanation too big, but they did a really good job explaining it. Looks like season 4 will be their last:

https://www.cbr.com/attack-on-titan-season-4-final/

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Ooh, I watched the original run of AoT years ago. I'll have to re-watch it to refresh my memory, but that's good to hear it's liked past season 1.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
Ooh, I watched the original run of AoT years ago. I'll have to re-watch it to refresh my memory, but that's good to hear it's liked past season 1.
the show kinda fell off my radar due to the gaps between seasons coming out. i think i stopped after season 2 and couldnt be bothered to watch the first half of season 3. i didnt even bother checking the manga to see if it could hold up the mystery part.

color me surprised when season 3 part 2 came out and it was back to the level of compelling that the series started with.
season 1 suffered in pacing because they were desperately trying to avoid catching up to the manga storyline, so they started slowing down the plot development and belaboring every dialogue scene since they couldnt add any filler episodes. season2 fared better, and the gap between season 3 let the animation studio really polish up the product.

turns out the author actually had a proper plan and it is a twist based on the name of the show, meaning it was there since the start. originally people werent sure how to translate the title due to ambiguity in the phrase, but that was intentional.

by the end of season 3, you will know nearly all of the mysteries. season 4 will be about how all of it ends.

Reactions: A Casual Fitz

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
DanMachi season two is starting
Isekai Quarter was pretty funny. It is getting second season.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hm, so the Spring season felt a little weak overall. It's not like there wasn't anything to watch, but really that not much stood out. The only things I really watched with any sort of fervor were Kimetsu no Yaiba, Tate no Yuusha and Bungou Stray Dogs 3. There was your typical Trashime that I watch with a tinge of embarrassment like BokuBen or Kenja no Mago.

As for this season, I've checked out a few series so far. I've already read the manga for Enen no Shouboutai and Dr. Stone, so I kind of know where those are going. Enen may start off a little slow, but it'll pick up a bit, and if Dr. Stone is only one or two cours, I think it'll be fine. (I thought the manga really dulled out a bit near the end of the Tsukasa arc.) Those adaptations seem fine so far, but Dr. Stone may hinge on how well "Best Girl" Kohaku is animated. (The artist in the artist-author duo used to draw hentai, so he tends to draw them females rather well. :p)

I've watched Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou (ArifuSai?), which is probably primed as this seasons premier isekai anime, and it seems okay so far. It's sort of billed as your Tate no Yuusha-ish show where the protagonist is sort of an outcast. The one thing that throws me off in the show is that they used CG to animate a couple monsters in a scene, and it doesn't look good... nor even seem necessary. CG is helpful when you need to do crazy amounts of movement that just takes too long to animate, but these monsters barely moved. On the other hand, other monsters in the same episode were animated by hand, and they looked fine. Overall, I think the show could be interesting. I also checked out Cop Craft (gotta love simple names), and I wasn't really expecting much, but it seems like it could be good. The animation seems solid, it has a sort of combined-world plot (think Kekkai Sensen without the crazy alien diversity) combined with the awkward buddy-cop pairing (e.g. Lethal Weapon). I also checked out Tejina-senpai, which is a short about a guy who gets roped into a magic club by a buxom girl who is a terrible magician. Unfortunately, this show is just... kind of boring. It's only half-length episodes, but while watching the first one, I was just waiting for it to be over.

There are a few others that I've been meaning to check out like Vinland Saga, but I just haven't had a chance yet. Of course, I am also waiting for the return of other "Best Girl" Hetalia in DanMachi season two!

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Sad event. The world is a crazy place nowadays when schools and animation studios are the target for such crimes. Schools should be a place of learning that brings hope for our future. Animation studios should be a source of joy.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
arsonist wasnt a disgruntled ex employee or anything, he blamed the studio for stealing his story/project.

anyways for this season im going with Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr Stone, Arifureta. im on the bubble with Cop Craft, Lord Melloi II, how much do you lift. avoid BEM. i still have a bunch to check out but im just looking for something to hold me over until haikyuu starts up in the fall.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
arsonist wasnt a disgruntled ex employee or anything, he blamed the studio for stealing his story/project.

anyways for this season im going with Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr Stone, Arifureta. im on the bubble with Cop Craft, Lord Melloi II, how much do you lift. avoid BEM. i still have a bunch to check out but im just looking for something to hold me over until haikyuu starts up in the fall.

not watching Accelerator?