Anyone here watch Anime? If yes recommend some good Anime here :)

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Thanks will check out Berserk. I am fairly new to anime yes.

I actually prefer subtitles. Feels more authentic when I hear it in Japanese.

Expecting dubbers to emote emotions they don't fully comprehend is a fool's errand.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
80 page thread so pardon the laziness.

I just finished Attack on Titan season 2. Love the show, but the wait for season 3 will be annoying. Are there other anime that are similar to AoT? I mean from a "mystery" stand point (wondering what's the deal with the titans and slowly getting more info as the show progresses).

Have you seen Death Note (not the live action version)? It's more mental cat-and-mouse than action but it's very well written.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks will check out Berserk. I am fairly new to anime yes.

I actually prefer subtitles. Feels more authentic when I hear it in Japanese.
Sorry for the late reply. If that's the case then watch the 3 movies in sub :)
The original is good too but I have seen both and both are the same but the movie added a little more content and better animation overall.
Have you checked it out yet?
just make sure you DO NOT WATCH the 2016 Berserk series
CGI made my eyes go all Ebola. I 100% avoid but new watcher might think it's ok I guess. Read the Manga instead. Berserk Manga is probably the best Manga of all time so it's worth reading fro start to finish and the Manga is still in going :)

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
great description i ran across: "It's a generic Cute-Girls-Doing-Technically-Non-Warcrime-Things show"

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
great description i ran across: "It's a generic Cute-Girls-Doing-Technically-Non-Warcrime-Things show"
that's my favorite!!!! K-on is the best cutesy anime ever! Everyone should check it out! The comedy/musik is really good too. :hearteyes:

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I am in second season Naturo and I cannot believe how much the tone changed from child's story to Jedi warrior lifestyle. Amazing. They have the A,B,C D storyline switching down pat. 20 minutes flys by.
make sure you have a new tab in your browser for the filler list! :rolleyes:

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
curious why you guys dont like Overlord

I enjoyed season 1. Possibly because I'm well over 30 and liked the theme of a grown-up guild master who stayed online to say goodbye to something that was important to him, then set out to establish his guild in the new world to honor his friends and possibly reconnect with any of them who had also been sent to the world. It's also a guild of nonhumans, who aren't that fond of humans and sometimes deal with them ruthlessly.

That made the wish fulfillment Marty Stu overpowered main character more interesting to me than the usual 15 year old bland high schooler in similar series.

Season 2 is a mess because the MC only appears for a few minutes and now is acting like a 15-year-old, and the focused strategy of establishing the guild and its holding is replaced by semi-random acts that don't fit together well told in a set of side stories. What set season 1 apart from the rest of the "sent to another world" stories is mostly gone.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
gotcha.

its accurate to the source material but i can see that

I'm guessing the writer had one good novel's worth of material, then needed to continue on and meet deadlines. Season 2 feels like a bunch of filler and scraps of world-building notes thrown together to keep the publisher happy while they try to figure out how to continue the main story.

It's the sort of material that Sharon Lee and Steve Miller release as chapbooks and then short story collections in between their "real" Liaden novels. That's fine if you're a 500-episode show, not a great idea if you only have 12.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
I'm guessing the writer had one good novel's worth of material, then needed to continue on and meet deadlines. Season 2 feels like a bunch of filler and scraps of world-building notes thrown together to keep the publisher happy while they try to figure out how to continue the main story.

It's the sort of material that Sharon Lee and Steve Miller release as chapbooks and then short story collections in between their "real" Liaden novels. That's fine if you're a 500-episode show, not a great idea if you only have 12.

there are 13 volumes currently

season 1 covered volumes 1-3 and season 2 4-6

the first 12 are translated online IIRC

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What are you guys looking forward to for this next season? Looks like the new episodes will be starting in one to two weeks (depending on the show). I know we've got a few mainstays such as the next season of Boku no Hero Academia and the second cour of Shokugeki no Soma's third season. We'll also be seeing the anime treatment of Persona 5 similar to what we saw with previous Persona entries.

I'm still woefully behind this season when it comes to anime (the only one that I watch regularly is Darling in the FRANXX), so I hope to catch some of the good stuff.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
there are 13 volumes currently

season 1 covered volumes 1-3 and season 2 4-6

the first 12 are translated online IIRC

3 good (light) novels then :) . I don't read LNs so I don't know how they compare length-wise to Western SF and fantasy novels.

If you've read them, do 7-on shift back to being more about the Overlord (Ains / Momon) and less about lizards and princesses?

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'll make my biennial appearance here and say that I'm heavy into Black Butler. I had watched s01 years ago and loved it but I forgot most of the plot. So I binged S02 and was a bit lost. Going to rewatch all 24 episodes of S01 and then do S03.

I'm still not really clear on how Ciel
became a demon
. I guess I get the idea that he was possessed but you'd think that a contract would have to have consent by the consciousness affected by the deal not some body jacker.

Last edited: