anyone here have their own treadmill?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Did you still have it all together? Removing the console and the legs(which only took a few minute)made the treadmill easy to go thru a doorway by carrying it sideways. But yes, it was a heavy mofo.

i had to take the legs and the top part off to get it out of the guys house and had to keep it off to get it to my final destination in my house.

i was surprised at how heavy the actual 'legs' were as well. overall the weight of this thing is massive, which is good considering i'm 205lbs and it is something i will be running on.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
FWIW I am shopping a treadmill now for my wife, and for my occasional use.

VERY difficult. I was stuck at a 2500 budget, but found myself looking at 3500+ machines. I looked at the new true machines as I figured this would be my first choice. Mainly the PS100. Deck is great. Console looks like my kids fisher price toys. Kind of at a cross roads right now

I am cross shopping the following:
True PS100 - 2599 setup + tax
Landice L7 pro trainer console - 3400 setup + tax
Precor 9.31 - 3699 setup + tax
Spirit XT685 - not sure of street price, maybe 2300 + tax
Spirit CT800 - 2900-3000 street price + tax

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
My parents and brother do. Parents paid out the ass for theirs. Brother found one on CraigsList from a multi-million dollar home for 1/4 the cost of buying new with a transferable contract for service.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
FWIW I am shopping a treadmill now for my wife, and for my occasional use.

VERY difficult. I was stuck at a 2500 budget, but found myself looking at 3500+ machines. I looked at the new true machines as I figured this would be my first choice. Mainly the PS100. Deck is great. Console looks like my kids fisher price toys. Kind of at a cross roads right now

I am cross shopping the following:
True PS100 - 2599 setup + tax
Landice L7 pro trainer console - 3400 setup + tax
Precor 9.31 - 3699 setup + tax
Spirit XT685 - not sure of street price, maybe 2300 + tax
Spirit CT800 - 2900-3000 street price + tax

...$3500? Are the gyms in your area so crappy that you have to buy your own? Unless you live in ice city, even snow allows for running outside.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
...$3500? Are the gyms in your area so crappy that you have to buy your own? Unless you live in ice city, even snow allows for running outside.

It isn't about crappy gyms, or the weather outside. I spend a lot of time in the gym lifting. I am not looking to run outdoors. I prefer to do my cardio at home. Early mornings, or when it's convenient vs driving to the gym for a 30 minute cardio session.

My wife will use a treadmill if we have it in the house, but doesn't like to go to the gym. We have had a couple different ones end up in our house at times while relatives were in transition and she would always use them.

I know the value of quality equipment. I am not a small guy and I use them at a high incline and walk, which is actually harder on the mills than running in some regards, so I need a decent unit. do I need a 3500 buck one??? probably not, but after shopping around and seeing what lesser money buys me, I see value in the higher end machines

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
I bought a 9.33 precor today. it busted my budget, but I got the treadmill I wanted regardless of price

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
We have a Landice - I had no idea they were this expensive. My wife runs a gym and got it pretty cheap, under $1000, but apparently it's a $3000 or $4000 machine new.

As for usage...I hate running and always have. I use our stationary bike for cardio but will occasionally (every 3 months or so) knock out 3 miles or so on the treadmill. That's about all the use it gets. When my wife first got it, she was doing 2-3 half marathons a year and used it to train when she couldn't run on the street or workout at work. She hasn't done that in a few years though.

We should probably just sell the damn thing.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
We have a Landice - I had no idea they were this expensive. My wife runs a gym and got it pretty cheap, under $1000, but apparently it's a $3000 or $4000 machine new.

As for usage...I hate running and always have. I use our stationary bike for cardio but will occasionally (every 3 months or so) knock out 3 miles or so on the treadmill. That's about all the use it gets. When my wife first got it, she was doing 2-3 half marathons a year and used it to train when she couldn't run on the street or workout at work. She hasn't done that in a few years though.

We should probably just sell the damn thing.

L8 with the higher end console will be over 5 grand

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
since this thread was bumped, i'll give a small update.

my wife is using the treadmill like 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes or so at a time, so it's getting it's fair use and holding up just fine.

i also cannot believe how good the built in speakers are on this thing lol. it has pretty crazy bass as well. really impressive for treadmill speakers.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
So I'll add to this thread rather than create a new one. I got into the whole 'treadmill desk' thing about 1 month ago, and went for it, and since then, I've been loving it. The arms came off really easy as well.
Cheap Ikea Desk + Cheap Treadmill meant that I've been doing a lot of walking, especially as the PC is the main form of entertainment I have when I go home.

I have really enjoyed it...until the motor just burned out. I suppose it was destined since I spent 150 dollars on it.

Anyways, I need something that I can walk on at low speeds (1-2 mph) for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to invest up to 1K on a used treadmill (but as always, lower is better).

I don't want these things to keep dying on me after a few months.

Are there any reccomendations? Most people online have been pushing 2 main models: the confidence power plus, and the merit 725T plus. I actually had a Merit 725T (non the plus model), and am skeptical right now of low end treadmills and the idea that JUST a little bit more HP would have helped me out.

Like some of the comments above: I just want it to work, and I want it to work right. The difference is I will NEVER run on it; I have nice high end treadmills at the gym I use, and I prefer to run outside.

Any Used treadmills that I should be looking at? Orange county here....

Looking at Lifespan's Website (to try to get an idea of how much Power I need) their treadmills do 2-3 chp. Some make references to 'high torque' motors. Looks like 2 chp should be my minimum? According to amazon, the 725T I have is a 1.25 chp motor...

Last edited:

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
just got it setup this afternoon:
treadmill_zps70469654.jpg

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
So I'll add to this thread rather than create a new one. I got into the whole 'treadmill desk' thing about 1 month ago, and went for it, and since then, I've been loving it. The arms came off really easy as well.
Cheap Ikea Desk + Cheap Treadmill meant that I've been doing a lot of walking, especially as the PC is the main form of entertainment I have when I go home.

I have really enjoyed it...until the motor just burned out. I suppose it was destined since I spent 150 dollars on it.

Anyways, I need something that I can walk on at low speeds (1-2 mph) for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to invest up to 1K on a used treadmill (but as always, lower is better).

Are there any reccomendations? Most people online have been pushing 2 main models: the confidence power plus, and the merit 725T plus. I actually had a Merit 725T (non the plus model), and am skeptical right now of low end treadmills and the idea that JUST a little bit more HP would have helped me out.

Like some of the comments above: I just want it to work, and I want it to work right. The difference is I will NEVER run on it; I have nice high end treadmills at the gym I use, and I prefer to run outside.

Looking at Lifespan's Website (to try to get an idea of how much Power I need) their treadmills do 2-3 chp. Some make references to 'high torque' motors. Looks like 2 chp should be my minimum? According to amazon, the 725T I have is a 1.25 chp motor...

after my shopping experience, Spirit seems to make the best cheap'er treadmills out of all the ones I saw in person. their XT185 will be right around that $1000 street price

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
It isn't about crappy gyms, or the weather outside. I spend a lot of time in the gym lifting. I am not looking to run outdoors. I prefer to do my cardio at home. Early mornings, or when it's convenient vs driving to the gym for a 30 minute cardio session.

My wife will use a treadmill if we have it in the house, but doesn't like to go to the gym. We have had a couple different ones end up in our house at times while relatives were in transition and she would always use them.

I know the value of quality equipment. I am not a small guy and I use them at a high incline and walk, which is actually harder on the mills than running in some regards, so I need a decent unit. do I need a 3500 buck one??? probably not, but after shopping around and seeing what lesser money buys me, I see value in the higher end machines

LOL...so I just read over my troll of a post from 3 years ago. As a now retired runner, it made zero sense to me the appeal of running inside. 2 years ago as my wife was preggers, we started looking around at treadmills. She wanted to go high end, I didn't want a treadmill as I wondered when the heck we'd ever use it. (She is a runner too) Long story short, we got a steal on a LifeFitness T5o - same quality treadmill as what we use at Lifetime, just without the fancy screen.

...and now doing more oly lifts, barbell compounds, higher intensity and scaled back on running, I pretty much only run on the treadmill. Funny how perspective changes. We also looked at the Precor you have now - if not for finding that T5 we'd have gotten the same 9.33.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
after my shopping experience, Spirit seems to make the best cheap'er treadmills out of all the ones I saw in person. their XT185 will be right around that $1000 street price

Sure Necro, but its been several years since I've had my treadmill desk. I opted for the Lifespan and simply pay the price.

Overall I've been pleased; if I use the PC I'm walking, and if I play games I'm walking. It feels much better than sitting, and I can easily do almost everything (but just at different speeds).
Watching a movie? 3mph easy. Playing non critical response games (i.e. not an FPS) 2.0-2.5mph easy. Browsing the internet? 2.0 mph no issue.
Anything that needs me to think, or have quick reactions...I go with 1 - 1.5 mph.

The feeling of playing civ5 for 2 hours, and walking 4-4.5 miles is awesome...games don't feel like an waste anymore even though I don't play them much.

I had to get the motor replaced under warranty once, but if it happens again, I'll have to incur that cost. Since then I've been lubing up the board more frequently and no issues so far.

The control head is kinda stupid and the "go" button has a crack in it, and there are lots of other minor improvements that could be had, but it was a much simpler experience than tearing down my own treadmill.
If someone had the patience to find a a 5-7K treadmill used for 2K...that is probably the route to go because it'll come with self-waxing boards to walk on and an AC motor that'll never die...but buying used is always risky especially if you don't know what are the small items to look for:)

Hopefully when this thing croaks in many years from now, there will be better options for the treadmill-desk crowd, and we will have the nice bells and whistles without having to tear it down :)

FYI - the Ikea desk was the best thing ever; far superior to any of their desk offerings, which give you paltry space.

Oct 9, 1999
I have one I got for free, prob a $100 treadmill. It lets me run so I can't justify spending money on a nicer one. I run 5 min half miles every time before I work out and sometimes after. Gets the juices flowing and doesn't take any room up at all when it's folded up.

My buddy had a trueform runner but LOL $5k then again he is a huge gyp equipment nut/flipper but seriously, you're running, who cares if it's a $100 treadmill or $5000. I just keep shit simple, t-bar setup, treadmill and kettle bells.

FWIW, I'm sure there are really nice treadmills that do this and that but I just get on that bastard, hit 5.5-6 on the speed and run for warm up.

NO clue what the name of my treadmill is but as you can see in the picture, there isn't much to it. I don't notice any instability issues or problems while running full speed either. I'm 195lbs also.

image.jpg

edit- necro'd

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
the treadmill i got from the guy on craigslist is still going strong and feels the same the day it did we bought it. i rarely use it but my wife still uses it a few times a week.