anyone here have their own treadmill?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
just curious as to if anyone here has their own treadmill in their home and what their actual useage is.

wife and i moved into a house in early september. i go to the gym regularly but my wife does not. at our old apartment there was a fitness center down in the basement that had a few treadmills, and my wife would use that to do a lot of cardio.

but now that we're in our own home we're looking at treadmills. when i do cardio, i currently do it at the gym, but if i get a treadmill at home i will be doing it at home.

there seems to be a ton of treadmills out there and i know home ones aren't quite the quality of the ones you see in the gym. but i do want to be able to actually run on it, probably no faster than 10mph.

i've been scouring craigslist and there are TONS of them out there for sale.

i came across someone selling this one for $300:

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/w...01&productId=79623&categoryId=59002&pageNum=1

after doing a bit of research it seems like a pretty solid one, and at the price of $300 that seems like a good deal. we're going to check it out sunday and he said we can test it out, so my wife and i both plan to do a little run on it to see how it feels.

so i'm curious, those of you that have them at home, do you use them to actually run and do they feel sturdy and not wobble? that has always been a concern of mine with home treadmills.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
just curious as to if anyone here has their own treadmill in their home and what their actual useage is.

wife and i moved into a house in early september. i go to the gym regularly but my wife does not. at our old apartment there was a fitness center down in the basement that had a few treadmills, and my wife would use that to do a lot of cardio.

but now that we're in our own home we're looking at treadmills. when i do cardio, i currently do it at the gym, but if i get a treadmill at home i will be doing it at home.

there seems to be a ton of treadmills out there and i know home ones aren't quite the quality of the ones you see in the gym. but i do want to be able to actually run on it, probably no faster than 10mph.

i've been scouring craigslist and there are TONS of them out there for sale.

i came across someone selling this one for $300:

http://www.nordictrack.com/webapp/w...01&productId=79623&categoryId=59002&pageNum=1

after doing a bit of research it seems like a pretty solid one, and at the price of $300 that seems like a good deal. we're going to check it out sunday and he said we can test it out, so my wife and i both plan to do a little run on it to see how it feels.

so i'm curious, those of you that have them at home, do you use them to actually run and do they feel sturdy and not wobble? that has always been a concern of mine with home treadmills.

if you plan to run on it and weigh more than 120 lbs you will have to up your budget by at least 4-5X.

if I were in the market for one, I would look for a true club grade refurbished - precor or lifefitness. My brother owns a TRUE brand treadmill, thinking he paid ~1500-2000. it is about the minimum I would personally look at.

My dad has a cheaper one like you linked, I can run on it and stop the track when I come down with my lead foot. they just aren't going to cut it if you want to run

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
if you plan to run on it and weigh more than 120 lbs you will have to up your budget by at least 4-5X.

if I were in the market for one, I would look for a true club grade refurbished - precor or lifefitness. My brother owns a TRUE brand treadmill, thinking he paid ~1500-2000. it is about the minimum I would personally look at.

My dad has a cheaper one like you linked, I can run on it and stop the track when I come down with my lead foot. they just aren't going to cut it if you want to run

interesting.

well yea i'm going to be testing it out and i definitely weigh more than that heh.

so does your dad have that exact one or one that is "cheaper like i linked" in that the treadmill he got was $300.

the one i linked retailed for $2500 when it came out. it's an older model for sure, but the guy is selling it used for $300. it isn't like it is a $300 brand new one. i know that those ones are dirt cheap.

so $1500 - $2000 is basically what the one i linked to retailed for when it was new.

Zivic

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2002
interesting.

well yea i'm going to be testing it out and i definitely weigh more than that heh.

so does your dad have that exact one or one that is "cheaper like i linked" in that the treadmill he got was $300.

the one i linked retailed for $2500 when it came out. it's an older model for sure, but the guy is selling it used for $300. it isn't like it is a $300 brand new one. i know that those ones are dirt cheap.

so $1500 - $2000 is basically what the one i linked to retailed for when it was new.

he has one from sports authority take home price 6-800 bucks.

grain of salt when they show "retail" pricing. if it was a quality treadmill, it would retain its value better than that.

I am currently shopping for a Q47 octane machine. they retail for 3 grand or more, and I am looking at 1500-2000 used. quality equipment will cost you money.

I would say if you wanted to walk on that treadmill, you'd be 100% fine with it. if you intend to run, a good tryout is a necessity before spending the cash

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
he has one from sports authority take home price 6-800 bucks.

grain of salt when they show "retail" pricing. if it was a quality treadmill, it would retain its value better than that.

I am currently shopping for a Q47 octane machine. they retail for 3 grand or more, and I am looking at 1500-2000 used. quality equipment will cost you money.

I would say if you wanted to walk on that treadmill, you'd be 100% fine with it. if you intend to run, a good tryout is a necessity before spending the cash

gotcha. and yea i know the retail price on things is always inflated in general. pretty sure it actually sold for like $1000 when in stores.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

I disagree.

Coincidence OP but I just got a Nordictrack Commercial ZS this Sunday. My neighbor just moved out to Japan and gave me the treadmill for free.

I have run 3 and 5 miles so far on it and it feels very sturdy and well built. Based on the potential of a bad winter and I'm contemplating running the Boston Marathon, the timing of the treadmill being available was perfect. And note, I weigh more than 120lbs.

Here's a review:
http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/NordicTrack-Commercial-ZS-Treadmill-Review-09

And owner reviews:
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1131...mercial-folding-treadmill-reviews/reviews.htm

From the bad reviews, I haven't had an issue varying the incline nor does the speed fluctuate if I'm not using one of the programmed runs.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I disagree.

Coincidence OP but I just got a Nordictrack Commercial ZS this Sunday. My neighbor just moved out to Japan and gave me the treadmill for free.

I have run 3 and 5 miles so far on it and it feels very sturdy and well built. Based on the potential of a bad winter and I'm contemplating running the Boston Marathon, the timing of the treadmill being available was perfect. And note, I weigh more than 120lbs.

Here's a review:
http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/NordicTrack-Commercial-ZS-Treadmill-Review-09

And owner reviews:
http://reviews.costco.com/2070/1131...mercial-folding-treadmill-reviews/reviews.htm

From the bad reviews, I haven't had an issue varying the incline nor does the speed fluctuate if I'm not using one of the programmed runs.

well cool that is good to hear. while i will probably be able to answer these in a few days, i'd like to hear your opinion on a few questions so i can at least compare the one i try out to your experience, and know that it isn't just a beat up treadmill.

how much do you weigh?

how fast do you run on it?

do you notice any instability when running on it, such as it feeling shaky/wobbly?

do you ever feel as though when your feet hit the rubber, that it presses the rubber down and slows down the treadmill? i've seen this on cheaper treadmills.

also i saw that treadmilldoctor website, and those reviews are virtually useless lol.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Stay away from any big box treadmills, they are junk and not worth the price.
The lifespan 3000i was one of the most recommended budget treadmill on runnersworld.com forum. They list for 1400-1500, I called and talked them down to $1200, which is common according to other post on the forum.

This was two years ago so you should check to see if something else being recommended now.
http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/shoes-stuff/treadmills

Last edited:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yup, I put it in front of the TV. Works great. I can go a lot longer without thinking about how much I hurt.

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
I have a horizon fitness model I bought off amazon. I use it everyday I can't run outside(winter, rain). It is slightly wobbly but not enough to bother me. It is the only treadmill I've ever used so I can't compare it to gym grade ones. It has had people up to 250 lbs on it without issue. Note if the tension isn't correct the belt will stop but that's why it can be adjusted.
Note that the electronics broke after a year but the warranty service was very good.

Edit: The deck is solid, it is the "arms" that wobble a bit while running.

gar655

Mar 4, 2008
I had a $1000 Horizon bought from Sears, between my wife and I we put 60-70 miles per week on it for over 2 years and 30-40 for the last year. Mechanically it was still good, electronically it took a shit. I would do 10-12 mile runs at about 7 minute pace at the time with no issues.

We currently have a $500 Nordic Trak. Due to knee issues for me it doesn't get used much, but we've had it for 2 years now and it's handled moderate use just fine.

I think you can get a good treadmill for $1000 new. Maybe look for closeouts of the Sole models from Sears or Sports Authority and get the extended warranty. Not for the mechanicals but for the electronics which is the weak point.

You should be able to get 5 years of fairly heavy use for the price range.

Gene

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
You can pick up epic treadmills used, even with free lifetime service agreements.

Not sure what the question really is.

If you want / need one get one. If you think putting one in your house will suddenly make a SO want to workout; rethink.

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
You should read before replying. The OP said he uses one at the gym on a regular basis, just interested in recommendations on one for home use.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
You should read before replying. The OP said he uses one at the gym on a regular basis, just interested in recommendations on one for home use.

not sure who you are replying to. Do you workout even?

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We got a treadmill about 8 years ago, I think it was about $1000 at the time. We don't use it all that much anymore but still have it set up and use it occasionally. I use a recumbent bike more than anything for cardio currently.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so yea i got that one today and did a test run over at the guys house for like 20 seconds or so. seemed great pretty much like one you would see in a gym.

i was fucking SHOCKED at the weight of this thing too. it is really heavy duty and one pain in the ass to move. had to take it apart to get it out of the house and reassemble it at my house once brought in. i had to have my brother come help me carry it because my wife couldn't get the other side. again, i was just very shocked at the heaviness and stability of this thing.

i'll report back once i have it all up and running and have done a test run on it.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
yeah treadmills are no fun to move. Which is why many sell them and just buy a new one 'installed' at their new home.

Here in S. Florida there are a lot of great treadmill deals. I just helped my brother last year with one. $5k treadmill sold for < $1k with life-time contract. My brother and I could lift it easy to transport it, going up stairs was very difficult. Looking back we would have paid to do it.

That said a professional treadmill >>>>>>>>>>>>>> basic ones.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Yeah treadmills are a bitch to move. At least the higher quality ones. The one we have is over 350 pounds of awkwardness. It's too wide to fit through the door straight on. Too wide to fit through from the side. Only way to get it through a standard doorway is to pick it up and twist it through. Trying to get it up and down stairs was misery.

Vic Vega

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2010
My wife and I converted a 16' x 16' room in our basement into a home gym. We have a stationary bike, treadmill and elliptical down there, all purchased used on CR. The treadmill (can't recall the brand, Pro something) is a complete pig but luckily it folds up and can be put on an appliance dolly.

I wouldn't buy one of these new, just too much money. Loads of people buy them for $700, $1,000 or more and never use them. Then you can buy them five years later for a few c-notes. Same with most equipment in general.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Yeah treadmills are a bitch to move. At least the higher quality ones. The one we have is over 350 pounds of awkwardness. It's too wide to fit through the door straight on. Too wide to fit through from the side. Only way to get it through a standard doorway is to pick it up and twist it through. Trying to get it up and down stairs was misery.

Sometimes removing the motor makes it easier. Sometimes that is too much work.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005

Did you still have it all together? Removing the console and the legs(which only took a few minute)made the treadmill easy to go thru a doorway by carrying it sideways. But yes, it was a heavy mofo.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Did you still have it all together? Removing the console and the legs(which only took a few minute)made the treadmill easy to go thru a doorway by carrying it sideways. But yes, it was a heavy mofo.

With the way mine was constructed, the "legs" were actually sleeved over the frame. The entire thing would have had to come apart to slim it down. With two or three of us we could muscle it around and get it moved.