Anyone Else NOT getting orange box?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: I4AT
I decided not to get the Orange Box mainly because after HL2 (which I thought was a good game) I really don't feel like toying around in the HL2 universe anymore. I did pick TF2 up off Steam for $30 though, I could've gotten Ep1/2 and Portal for another $10 but I just don't see myself ever playing them. Most people are turned off by the cartoony look of TF2 but that's one of the main things that sold the game for me. I like my games to look and feel like video games, not real life or movies.

Yeah I don't think the game would be as fun for me if it looked like Counter Strike Source or UT3.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I don't know why everyone loved the original HL so much. I played it but thought it was very dumb.

I like HL2 though

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
I don't know why everyone loved the original HL so much. I played it but thought it was very dumb.

I like HL2 though

Well when did you play it? It was pretty awesome for its time but doesn't seem great if you played later shooters already.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Teamfortress doesn't appeal to me because of the cartoony graphics. I'm never in the mood for a cartoony first person shooter.

People who talk about how it's a good value seem to think that HL2 is worth $40, Episode 2 is worth $30, and that the puzzle game is worth $40, and TF2 is worth $40. In reality, HL2 is old enough to be worth $20, I'd value the episode at $10, and TF2 at $20 considering what it is.

I absolutely have to chime in here.

This may be, bar none, the most stupid goddamn thing I've ever read.

Thanks.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Daverino
Originally posted by: teclis1023
I loved HL2 and HL2.1. I will buy Episode 2, but I don't want to re-buy HL2 and Ep1, and I don't give a shit about Portals. TF2 and Ep2 only, please.

That's a shame, because if you had bought Portal there was going to be a party for you! A big party, that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend, the companion cube... of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends, because of how unlikable you are. It says so right here in your personnel file. Unlikable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikable loner, whose passing shall not be mourned. Shall. Not. Be. Mourned. That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you were adopted, so that's funny too.

:laugh:

I was kinda ticked at the pricing as well (Orange box) because I already owned HL2 and Ep1.

BUT. Now that I have purchased the package, I do not regret it at all.

I figured my $45 went like this...

$15 for Ep2 - Not bad for the money, MUCH better than Ep1. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
$0 for Peggle - Meh, it was fun, but short. Free, so.
$15 for Portal - Fantastic, thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a VERY well-done game, all around.
$15 for TF2 - Great game for the money. Who knows how many hours of gameplay this will offer.

Muscles

Jul 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Teamfortress doesn't appeal to me because of the cartoony graphics. I'm never in the mood for a cartoony first person shooter.

People who talk about how it's a good value seem to think that HL2 is worth $40, Episode 2 is worth $30, and that the puzzle game is worth $40, and TF2 is worth $40. In reality, HL2 is old enough to be worth $20, I'd value the episode at $10, and TF2 at $20 considering what it is.

Thanks.

QFT

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2

Thanks.

Hahaha, awesome and so true. :laugh:

KT

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: gorcorps
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

I like HL2 though

Well when did you play it? It was pretty awesome for its time but doesn't seem great if you played later shooters already.

i would argue that HL > HL2. 2 dumps you in the middle of nowhere, and there never is much of a plot. sure you have to rescue people and take down the citadel, but "why" is never answered.

at least in HL, you had a mission - GTFO of black mesa to the surface and save everyone else. why is very well answered with "we're getting overrun like a mofo by aliens from a botched experiment" and i think the mini bosses also helped.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Modelworks
Not getting it.
Maybe when its down to a 20.00 price or so.
UT3 is coming very soon , and that has my interest a lot more, since I am heavily into modding game engines.

My thoughts exactly, but then again I'm a hardcore UT player.

I played the first Half-Life and just wasn't real impressed, so I can't say I've ever been all that interested in Half-Life-2. I might pick it up some day if the price drops down to, say $10 (Black Friday special next year, maybe?) and I'm bored with UT3, but I don't foresee that happening.

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Only on Anandtech would a forum about games need anti-game threads created for the soul purpose of telling everyone that no matter how good a game is, you probably won't get it. As if you hate fun and the very thought of other people enjoying themselves is somewhat disgusting.

Vidda

Sep 29, 2004
I personally liked HL2 slightly more b/c I am really into the Big Brother/Eastern Euro theme.