Anyone else have a $75 limit for "Pay at the Pump" charges?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I've run into that myself, but the first time I heard of it was from my sister-in-law. I guess it wasn't much of a problem back when gas was in the $1-2 per gallon range.

Aug 25, 2004
With pump limits, for example, "There is no policy that limits transactions at the pump from MasterCard," says spokesman Tristan Jordan. "The merchants themselves make the decision."

Most credit card companies say that the merchants opt to put the pump limit at exactly the "chargeback" limit -- the highest amount the credit card company will pay a merchant if the transaction turns out to be fraudulent. In other words, they claim merchants cut off customers at the amount the bank will pay if the customer doesn't pay the bill.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
It depends on the type of card. A Visa debit card is limited to $50, a business card is $75 and a fleet card is $150. This does not mean the merchant CAN'T process the transaction just it is against the regulations and they if your bank wants to they can take back anything over that amount.

ajf3

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 2000

Right - read that a little while back too... if the station doesn't program the cutoff to match the visa or MC limit, the CC company MAY charge back anything you pump over that limit - without you even asking. Gotta find the right station :)