Anyone drive a camry? How many miles do they typically last? (with Pics)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Depends how picky and how attuned to automotive maintenance you are. I guarantee things like struts, suspension bushings, and motor mounts are going to be pretty worn at 155k but most people drive along happily without ever noticing.

Another thing to look out for is the automatic transmission with 155k on it.

Interior bits on these fade and crack with age and things will rattle, but other than that, yeah, they last forever. You'll start to have typical things that go out on any car, such as power steering rack leaking, water pumps, etc. However parts are extremely cheap.

I have a 95 with 170k on it, 2.2L with manual 5 speed. Just put about $700 into it in struts, motor mounts, new brake rotors, control arm bushings, etc. Rides like brand new again.

Takes a quart or so between oil changes, still gets 400-450 miles per 14 gal fill up (28-32 mpg).

Last edited:

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
The gen3 and gen4 camrys are toyota's best car. This is a gen4 ('97-01'.) They are rock solid and could easily go another 200k if maintained properly. Transmissions are excellent and motors are built to last (not so much for power, lol.) If you have issues, they will probably be from typical oil leaks, ie aging oil pan or oil pump gaskets, or issues will be from sensors and respective CEL's. You would want to change ALL the fluids at this point (except windshield washer), but they are not difficult to work on. You would also want to check the timing belt if you don't know when it was replaced.

If you bought it and did work on it yourself, hit up toyotanation.com for a ton of DIY's and excellent advice and assistance. You're on a budget, but you still should get any car you buy up to speed with it's maintenance schedule/needs.

I would probably be all over this at $4k.

Last edited:

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Just remember with any brand it's still possible to buy the car and then a week later the transmission go. I know somebody who bought by brand recently, a late 90's accord they overpaid for (it's a Honda, they're worth weight in gold!!) and radiator went shortly thereafter.

If I had $3k I'd buy something small because it will mean you're buying newer. I also wouldn't buy Honda/toyota because the brand loyalty on them is silly (and I own a toyota, too).

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Last forever is one thing. That doesn't mean some components will not need to be replaced. ~120K is around when a number of things need to be done on the car. So if the owner put off doing a lot of that work, it is possible you have will be taking it to the shop soon. If most of that work has been done, then you should be good to go for at least another 60K or so before much will need to be done.

For reference, I had a '92 Camry that stayed in my family (was my sisters after it was mine) till 290K...so yeah...they have the potential to last a long time if properly maintained.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
The Camry usually outlives the driver who soon dies of boredom driving the said Camry car.

dtgoodwin

Jun 5, 2009
I agree with the what everyone has said about maintenance. If I car isn't maintained, it doesn't matter the brand, it will not be reliable. I bought a '96 Civic with 160K miles on it. I didn't have the history, but I spent $1500 in the year and a half I owned it, and could never trust it enough to take it far without breaking down. I had to replace most of the components in the cooling system - water pump, radiator, radiator fan, hoses, belts, etc. I also had to replace/flush the power steering pump, alternator, starter, and many suspension parts. In contrast, my 2002 TrailBlazer with 171K miles has been with me since 24K miles. I've done all the maintenance required and more. As things wear out, they get fixed. It still drives rattle free and with the exception of poor mileage, brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My wife's best friend has a 2002 Lexus ES300 with 300,000 miles on the original engine and transmission. She drives it 140 miles a day just in commuting.

Disclaimer-This post is not about Ducati motorcycles.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Not realy a car fit-it question so didn't think the Garage was needed.

Anyway, I need a used card and someone I know has a 2001 Camry with 155k miles on it. Looks great and they say it runs great. They're asking $4500 but I'm hoping to go down a bit form there. KBB says $4600 which is always high. Edmunds says more like $3000. hmm.

Anyway, I know on may cars 155,000 miles is really high. However I always hear that Toyotas last forever. 99% of the time it will just be used to get me to work every day (15 minute drive).

Would you bite, or would you walk away? I have little money to spend on a car so this price range is about all I can swing right now.

Any opinions or experience?

PICS:
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1787993/1/Camry?h=6ca249

Thanks.

That is a really good price if the car is in excellent condition and have maintenance records.

Dec 30, 2004
Having 400,000 miles of highway driving on Toyotas and Hondas isn't anything spectacular IMO, transmission is sitting in OD all day so big deal. I'm coming to the belief that their motors will last pretty much forever if you just give them good oil changes. I would be more interested in other things if they are telling the truth that they changed the oil every 3k (Toyota recommends 5k but on dyno oil that just doesn't seem right...on Pennzoil I notice significant gas mileage degredation at the end of the oil's life at 3k leading me to believe the engine is experiencing a lot more friction)

Transmission and AC mainly since those are both prohibitively expensive to replace, however even worst case lets say you have to get the transmission done in a year (quite unlikely mom's still on her first transmission on her 2001 camry with >200k), you've still got a car that only cost you $5000 and is going to last you at least until 250k miles, a good chance to 300-350k, and a fair chance to 400k. Does it really matter if you overpaid by 500 or $1000? The car drove you 150-250k miles for only $5k. That's a deal in my book.

Last edited:

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Toyota makes good transmissions. Honda, not so much. I've been saying for years that Honda needs to fire their entire transmission team and hire some engineers from Toyota or GM. Some of the problems modern Hondas have with their transmissions are just completely unacceptable, both automatics and manuals.

Unfortunately even the spectacularly robust Insight isn't even immune to Honda's transmission woes. It's not acceptable to have a manual transmission die or wear out before 200,000 miles. The transmission in Insight #1 ate it's input shaft bearing at almost exactly 100k miles; the transmission in #2 had worn synchros at 190k and the transmssion in #3 is worn at 226k miles. Fortunately, I like double clutching. ;)

Last edited:

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I agree, I don't know how the tards at honda are keeping their job. Transmission failures since 1998 v6 came about and it hasn't stop ever since. Every transmission have problems.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
The Camry usually outlives the driver who soon dies of boredom driving the said Camry car.

How sad one's life must be that they seek enjoyment in driving a car and to feel better.

Subbaculcha

Aug 23, 2004
Bought a 1996 Camry XLE V6, in 2000, 75k miles. Traded it in 2009 with 188,000. Never did anything other than maintenance.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
How sad one's life must be that they seek enjoyment in driving a car and to feel better.

I have a 2000 camry v6 with 102000 miles and I know its due for timing belt but can't find any trustworthy mechanic. It is pretty good. Nice quiet ride. The cd player died on my because of using cheap burned cd. Had the car aligned and the mechanic said it was perfect alignment. Paid $60 for him to say that.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
I agree, I don't know how the tards at honda are keeping their job. Transmission failures since 1998 v6 came about and it hasn't stop ever since. Every transmission have problems.

I have one of those Gen 6 transmissions, a 2k v6. No problems with the transmission yet, altho only have 80k mostly-easy miles on it.

My latest trick in extending the life of this fragile transmission is to drive my Camry everywhere instead.

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I have one of those Gen 6 transmissions, a 2k v6. No problems with the transmission yet, altho only have 80k mostly-easy miles on it.

My latest trick in extending the life of this fragile transmission is to drive my Camry everywhere instead.
100k is the magic number. :D sorry to jinx you.

7window

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
Depends how picky and how attuned to automotive maintenance you are. I guarantee things like struts, suspension bushings, and motor mounts are going to be pretty worn at 155k but most people drive along happily without ever noticing.

Another thing to look out for is the automatic transmission with 155k on it.

Interior bits on these fade and crack with age and things will rattle, but other than that, yeah, they last forever. You'll start to have typical things that go out on any car, such as power steering rack leaking, water pumps, etc. However parts are extremely cheap.

I have a 95 with 170k on it, 2.2L with manual 5 speed. Just put about $700 into it in struts, motor mounts, new brake rotors, control arm bushings, etc. Rides like brand new again.

Takes a quart or so between oil changes, still gets 400-450 miles per 14 gal fill up (28-32 mpg).

I have to agree with this.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
just change the thread title to 'Calling all Indians...' and the Camry owners will come out like clockwork.

I always find this odd. I hate to generalize, but why do people who come over from India think Toyota is the only automotive brand in existance?

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Well, I picked up the car for $3100. Seems like a great deal for the shape the car is in. Here's hoping I get another 100,000k out of it. :)

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
My dad has an 04 with 278k highway miles on it. Been a really good car. Its transmission started hanging onto 1st gear a little long when cold but after getting it serviced and having some sort of additive put in as well that has loosened up and it has been fine. I wouldn't be surprised if he got 300k out of it. He and I are both crossing our fingers however because at that kind of mileage something could just blow up at any time really.

Good thing of course is the highway miles - they're relatively easy on the car. My mom was telling me about how amazing the brakes must be on my dad's Camry because he had 120k or so before he needed to replace the front brakes, but her Chrysler Pacifica needed front brakes at 65k or thereabouts. I reminded her that Dad does 90% highway driving, while she does 90% city driving :p

Last edited:

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I always find this odd. I hate to generalize, but why do people who come over from India think Toyota is the only automotive brand in existance?
Probably the same reason along the lines why they tend to wear backpacks and have their phones glued to their faces all the time.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Well, I picked up the car for $3100. Seems like a great deal for the shape the car is in. Here's hoping I get another 100,000k out of it. :)

Wow. Congrats, that's awesome. :thumbsup: Maybe you're the real bastage. ;) (/envy)

How did you get it for so cheap?...did the check engine light go crazy when test driving it, giving you some good leverage? :p

As for you getting another 100k out of it...it's probably up to you from this point on, especially since it already drives well. Spend some of that money saved and get things up to speed like new fluids, tuneup/components, fuel cleaner, and check brake pads and condition of rotors, and flush the brake fluid too.

Imo, beyond the maintenance schedule, the best way to get the most miles out of your car is to respond to things that come up quickly and don't let them linger. And do as much work as you're willing to do yourself...don't let 'I haven't done x before' stop you from researching and taking it on.

If someone has to take the car to a mechanic for every little thing that comes up, most likely they won't unless it's critical, particularly when on a tight budget. And if you do things yourself, hit up that forum I linked, you'll find all the resources and support you need for literally anything with these cars. For some reason, honda forums really suck but toyota forums rock.

/edit: Camry Gen3/4 DIY's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.