Anyone buying a Titan?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Not at $1000
would get one for $700 FAST

My 7970 Vapor X @ 1250 is within a striking distance :)

Deltaechoe

Feb 18, 2013
Pros: Beats almost everything as far as frame latency goes, most powerful single card GPU solution, cheaper than a tesla for CUDA optimized computation (yes I will use that), loads of VRAM for "future-proofing", quiet, reasonable power draw, small enough to fit in an ITX case

Cons: Problems with openCL (driver issue at this point, can be fixed with software) and price/performance ratio for gaming is on the high side

Bottom line: This card has 3 targets, people with very small cases, people who have CUDA optimized computational needs but also want to game and people who game in very high resolutions. At MSRP it's put squarely out of a lot of people's price range but for people who intend on purchasing more than 1, this thing seems to be an absolute beast

In a nutshell, yeah I'm getting a couple of them

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
If amd is able to get the memory management fix right among other driver enhancements to the tune of an additional 15% or so, then an overclocked 7970 at 1200-1250mhz will be unnoticeable different in performance from an overclocked Titan in 80%+ games and with amd leading by say 5% in nearly half of them.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
Are they still making the Matrix? Newegg shows them discontinued.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121671

iirc the egg shows that often times for products and they still get more.

2 and 3 way crosffire? LOL
The noise and the heat, and the extra cost of the motherboard to support 3x cards correctly, oh and the PSU. And then get ready for the disappointment when you drop down to single gpu performance or less (30+%) of the time with a non-working crossfire profile.
So if you can't afford Titan, stop dreaming up reasons of what you would do with your imaginary money. Because the single gpu, Titan , is in a class by itself.

How many of these type posts do we have to keep reading?

edited:

How many of your bashing posts at every opportunity posts are you going to post? There is bias, biased, and then you. It's not in a class by itself it's merely a new generation.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm starting to fear that AMD will get 'inspired' to release the HD 8970 (end of this year) with a 30% bump and price it at $900 to fit in the current gpu landscape. We'll get the same $#iT for the same price/performance ration.

I think the price will flop and if AMD can release anything in the near enough future it will be a hit due to the people getting pissed off. Could be very wrong.

In short this overpriced shiny piece of metal is so severely overpriced that I will avoid it 100% and will hope AMD can counter the performance at some point without raising the prices again.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
iirc the egg shows that often times for products and they still get more.

How many of your bashing posts at every opportunity posts are you going to post? There is bias, biased, and then you. It's not in a class by itself it's merely a new generation.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm starting to fear that AMD will get 'inspired' to release the HD 8970 (end of this year) with a 30% bump and price it at $900 to fit in the current gpu landscape. We'll get the same $#iT for the same price/performance ration.

I think the price will flop and if AMD can release anything in the near enough future it will be a hit due to the people getting pissed off. Could be very wrong.

In short this overpriced shiny piece of metal is so severely overpriced that I will avoid it 100% and will hope AMD can counter the performance at some point without raising the prices again.
More immature nonsense from you. You have 14 posts in the other thread I have 2 in each. Grow up.
FTFY

People have opinions, if you don't like them why don't you move on?

Random bench (dunno if fake):

They should be checking which ones visit from NV and AMD locations. :) Would be a fun rat hunt.

I actually suspect employees themselves would be extremely low key and avoid exposing themselves. People who sit and blindly promote the companies are probably actually just fanbois gone over the top. Then again they can work for the company or have other ties.

So then what? Apparently they fooled you with a shiny case and a new name and you feel obliged to tow the company line. You are entitled to your opinion as is everyone else. Most people have common sense and can see through the bs and realize that it's merely marketing trying to upsell it.

Another new registration right at this launch trying muffle people who are outraged about the price, it is coincidence?

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Back to the topic at hand, I'm starting to fear that AMD will get 'inspired' to release the HD 8970 (end of this year) with a 30% bump and price it at $900 to fit in the current gpu landscape.

[...]

ehh...in the same post you have AMD doubling the price, and not raising it at-all.
now add possibility of 50% price drop, and you have this covered top-bottom
:colbert:

On topic:
I'd be in for one Titan, if I wasn't in dire need of entire rig update. So... skip :( for now

Last edited:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
ehh...in the same post you have AMD doubling the price, and not raising it at-all.
now add possibility of 50% price drop, and you have this covered top-bottom
:colbert:

On topic:
I'd be in for one Titan, if I wasn't in dire need of entire rig update. So... skip :( for now

I'm only voicing an opinion, hoping they offer some competition, but worried they could jump on the upsell train if they do. I don't care if I 'cover' it from top to bottom as you put it. :p I'm not claiming to be nostradamius with the futuristic outlooks.

More immature nonsense from you. You have 14 posts in the other thread I have 2 in each. Grow up.

I may be mistaking you for sontin the loyal NVIDIOT resident... Hopefully you aren't as biased as I thought. Actually your posts appear pretty one sided towards nv so it's not the count, but the content.

Last edited:

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
If amd is able to get the memory management fix right among other driver enhancements to the tune of an additional 15% or so, then an overclocked 7970 at 1200-1250mhz will be unnoticeable different in performance from an overclocked Titan in 80%+ games and with amd leading by say 5% in nearly half of them.

15%...on average? I want a million dollars! :awe:
No honestly, this is an utterly unrealistic expectation.

Deltaechoe

Feb 18, 2013
I forgot to add another point, I also want to buy this because it's shiny and will look awesome in my case (not being sarcastic)

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001

Well.. they got all of 2013 to do it. Let's hope :)

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I forgot to add another point, I also want to buy this because it's shiny and will look awesome in my case (not being sarcastic)

It's your money :) When you do - Post some pics in the case section -I would like see the beauty :)

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Appreciate the choice for a gamer that demands the latest-and-greatest but my concern or constructive nit-pick is the same:

Evolutionary and incremental price performance on substantial and significant nodes and arches!

Respect the engineering and creation of this choice but no, thank you!

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
They have done much more than 15% since release and the next big jump is realistically expected at 10-15% anyway. So even if it turns out 10%, it would be so close to the Titan once heavily oced that in most cases you would only be able to bench the difference, say sub 15% avg.

paul878

Jul 31, 2010
If money were no object, then I would buy 3 for tri-sli.
But base on the review I would rather get gtx680 or hd7970 sli.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
2 and 3 way crosffire? LOL
The noise and the heat, and the extra cost of the motherboard to support 3x cards correctly, oh and the PSU. And then get ready for the disappointment when you drop down to single gpu performance or less (30+%) of the time with a non-working crossfire profile.
So if you can't afford Titan, stop dreaming up reasons of what you would do with your imaginary money. Because the single gpu, Titan , is in a class by itself.

How many of these type posts do we have to keep reading?

edited:

So worst case scenario (when there is zero scaling) you're 22-30% behind Titan for the same money. You say that will be 30% of the time which I disagree with but we'll use it. The other 70% of the time you're around 100% faster than a Titan. Yes you'd have a lot more power consumption but you'd also have a lot more performance the majority of the time.

15%...on average? I want a million dollars! :awe:
No honestly, this is an utterly unrealistic expectation.

+1

I don't think there's any way AMD will pull 15% out of their magician's hat with the memory rewrite. I'd love that to be true but I'd expect it to be closer to 5% if there is any gain at all.

On Topic - Titan is way too overpriced IMO so I won't be getting one. It is impressive for what it is and definitively has the crown back but at a ludicrous price.

If I were buying today I would pick up a couple of Matrix 7970s or Lightening 680s and overclock to the moon. Or for an even better bargain (compared to Titan money) I would grab a pair of 7950s.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I was considering, but at $1000 per card it's a disaster. I need to SLI a pair of them to get any improvement, and at the current price they won't show enough benefits over SLI'ed 680 Lightnings at the resolution I play at to justify that price. At $699 I'd have already ordered two, at $799 I may have them in my cart and the temptation would likely overwhelm me just for e-peen purposes, but they are flat out not worth any higher than that as nice as they are.

I get a kick out of these being deemed a "luxury product" and being "priced accordingly" like they were a Ferrari or something. Massive difference, no one besides a select few people on these forums and such will give two shits about the Titans in your rig and even then only briefly when posting benchmarks etc. That Ferrari has real resale value, and has real status attached to it if you will, videocards are throwaway products. I personally don't think $1000 videocards are going to fly. I guess we'll see. I'm not trying to imply I wouldn't like to have them. I might even be willing to pay the price if I had a crystal ball that told me the next generation won't meet/surpass these at a more traditional price point, but I'm betting they will.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
UK prices

AMD 7970 OC Core: 1010MHz, Memory: 3072MB 5500MHz GDDR5 £299.99

GeForce GTX Titan 6144MB GDDR5 £839.99

So you can buy 2.8 7970 for the same price as a Titan. Not quite 3 but close enough...

Wall Street

Mar 28, 2012
I am not buying Titan (although I purchase in the mainstream price bracket so that was never in question).

$1000-ish cards usually are matched in performance by a sub $300 card within 3 years of release. I have impulse control, so I only but cards that cost $200-$300 (which perform as well as three year old $1000 cards). It is easy to imagine buying one of those right now, but image with hindsight having bought a GTX 280 for $699 or the 8800 Ultra for $830. Within a few years the purchase always looks silly as a HD 4800 series or G92B comes out to undercut the card at the same performance with much lower price.

There may or may not be another card that matches Titan in the next year, but when 20 nm parts hit in 2014, the value of a Titan will fall to $200 as new midrange cards come out that match it. Knowing that these cards will lose $800 in value over the next 18-24 months is a tough pill to swallow. I can live with "only" playing at 1080p with mid levels or AA and high instead of ultra/extreme settings.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
I'm on the fence because I'd need two. at $700 each, sure. at $1k each... I don't think they're worth it.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125439

$429 for a 7970Ghz Card...

3 of them is more than a Titan but 2 7970GHz Editions leaves Titan in the dust.

However CF is a bit of a mess right now....more than a year after release...Im not defending Titans price by any means, its a rip off, but a bet you the game play on Titan is a lot smoother than the CF setup....so what does that leave you if you need more perf than 7970GE?