Anyone buying a Titan?

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
After reading the review I was a bit disappointed with it's performance. I know it's the fastest single GPU but in the UK I could get 3 (yes 3!) 7970's GE's for just £60 (approx $70/$75) more. I don't have the money but if I did have unlimited funds I might buy 3 titan's for tri-SLI but otherwise not a chance in hell. 3x 7970's would annihilate one Titan as 2 completely demolish it.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
If it were at a reasonable price point - maybe $400 tops - then yeah. But I'm definitely not seeing any justification for dropping 3x the money on a video card with 1.5x the performance of the competition right now.

Edit: I should clarify - the above comment was geared purely for gaming. If I was into compute and needed a high-end consumer class compute card, then this would probably be on my radar as it would fill the needs for both worlds quite nicely. But in terms of gaming and general video performance, AMD was absolutely spot on with their assessment - I don't need a compute card at that price point to push current titles at levels what a current gaming card can do.

Last edited:

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I wanted to get rid of Muli-Gpus but titan is too slow and too expensive, for the price of a single titan I could buy 3x7970 and still have some change left. On top of that after 2 years I see no price/performance improvement at all compared to my current set-up. It's really unprecedented 2 years and price/performance actually takes a step back :D I paid less for my 3 cards 2 years ago than what a single titan would set me back.

Last edited:

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
If it were at a reasonable price point - maybe $400 tops - then yeah. But I'm definitely not seeing any justification for dropping 3x the money on a video card with 1.5x the performance of the competition right now.

$400 seems to be well into fantasy land. But it is too expensive for me.

A bit over twice the price of a 7970 GHZ for 1.3 to 1.35 times the performance is not where I want to spend my money.

If it was only 1.5 times the price (say 700 to 800 and still well off the price performance line) I'd consider it but it has just too much of a halo mark up. Though compared to the CPU halo extreme editions this is at least markedly better than the second best GPU around.

I wanted to get rid of Muli-Gpus but titan is too slow and too expensive, for the price of a single titan I could buy 3x7970 and still have some change left.

Oh come now, the least expensive 7970 at newegg is 359 after rebate (I'm not even using CND) and that is not a GHZ edition. The titan is very expensive but we don't need to exaggerate it. It is roughly twice the price of a GHZ edition (a bit more than twice if it sells at MSRP).

Last edited:

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

To be fair, I have a hard time justifying $200. I've been all over the map over the last two years with video cards in terms of price/performance, and frankly the "high end" cards are really a ripoff in my eyes.

I'm currently rocking a GTX660, and it does plenty fine on every single title I play (current gen titles too). Then again, I'm not rocking 3 screens, nor 1440p, nor 4x MSAA, nor do I care about the difference between 60fps and 65fps.

There days, it's become all about separating people from their money. There is no justifiable reason that a video card should cost more than the rest of your system - combined, including the software, desk, chair, and house you live in.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011

A bit over twice the price of a 7970 GHZ for 1.3 to 1.35 times the performance is not where I want to spend my money.

If it was only 1.5 times the price (say 700 to 800 and still well off the price performance line) I'd consider it but it has just too much of a halo mark up. Though compared to the CPU halo extreme editions this is at least markedly better than the second best GPU around.

Oh come now, the least expensive 7970 at newegg is 359 after rebate (I'm not even using CND) and that is not a GHZ edition. The titan is very expensive but we don't need to exaggerate it. It is roughly twice the price of a GHZ edition (a bit more than twice if it sells at MSRP).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125439

$429 for a 7970Ghz Card...

3 of them is more than a Titan but 2 7970GHz Editions leaves Titan in the dust.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
I don't live in the US, and really I'm not exaggerating at all. I can buy a radeon 7970 for 1450PLN and GTX690 costs 4000PLN, new NV cards almost always command a hefty price premium in my country, I'd be surprised to see the titan under 4500PLN. GTX680 was always more expensive than 7970 in Europe, I don't know why but NV cards are always relatively more expensive than AMD cards in EU.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
I plan to get four. Just a need a moment here to finish excising my left nut and get one of my kidneys out.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
I plan to get four. Just a need a moment here to finish excising my left nut and get one of my kidneys out.

Left Nut? What does that go for? A box of cracker jacks? You need to score yourself an ovary bro! Ca-Ching!

Daedalus685

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2009
I don't live in the US, and really I'm not exaggerating at all. I can buy a radeon 7970 for 1450PLN and GTX690 costs 4000PLN, new NV cards almost always command a hefty price premium in my country, I'd be surprised to see the titan under 4500PLN. GTX680 was always more expensive than 7970 in Europe, I don't know why but NV cards are always relatively more expensive than AMD cards in EU.

That's even worse than Canada. The 680 is more expensive here too but it is not that far out of whack (for instance most 7970s retail for similar value, especially HIS cards for some reason, but 680s are 60 or so more than in the US these days).

I knew that cards could be far more expensive other places around the world but did not realize the hierarchy was so warped some places.My apologies.

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009

I thought a kidney would be enough with some change left but what do I know, you work in the medical industry so I'll take your word for it.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Where is it for sale?
Does this mean dual version will cost $2200? :biggrin:
Who cares, just sell the damn cards already! :twisted:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I won't be getting one, but then again I'm not the target audience. If I could afford one I certainly would, but right now my 7970 has been running at 1125/1575 since day one and it does what I need it to do.
If anything I would ditch my lowly 1920 x 1200 monitor and spend the money on a 2560 x 1440 or 2560 x 1600 30".
I think a lot of people are still running resolutions around 1080p that a card like this is major overkill for that anyway imho... especially for the price.
Appears to be a damn nice card though, don't think I ain't lusting for one and a bigger monitor right now!

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
Still limited overclocking, at that price that's outrageous!
All indications are that NVIDIA built Titan’s power delivery system for around 265W, and that’s exactly what buyers will get.

At that price point the card should be heavily over-engineered anything less than that is very disappointing. :(

Last edited:

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Should put a poll for this.

Personally, I'm not buying it. I resent the price creep on the video cards and I almost cringed when I spent $312 for Diamond 7970 (non GHZ) sale back in September. However, looking forward, it looks like it might have been a "good" deal. Titan is 25-30% faster than 7970, yet almost 3 times as expensive. So no, I'm not buying. Not sure about anybody else. I don't think too many people have that kind of disposable income, and even if they did, the value for the dollar is extremely poor, but hey, some people put higher priorities on these things than me.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I just wish NV would ditch the third DVI port so it would be possible to have a single slot card with full cover block! 7 of these would work nice for computing - in a single machine! :awe:

I know it still can be done with an expensive (PCI-E) extender and chassis but off the shelf is more appealing. ;)

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Many negatives to crossfire, starting with getting a profile for a game to even work.
Then it's micro-stutter, noise and heat.
From TPU's review of Titan. Which was also tested against the gtx690.
NVIDIA has done a very good job here in the past and out of the 19 games in our test suite, SLI only fails in F1 2012. Compare that to 6 out of 19 failed with AMD CrossFire. Looking at the F1 2012 example, we can clearly see the benefits of having a single powerful GPU. In that specific test, looking at 5760x1080 surround gaming, GTX Titan makes short shrift of any other card by delivering over 50% higher frame rates - crucial for aspiring race drivers playing on three screens.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Had originally planned to get two, but decided against it. For 10-20% more performance and with zero increase in power consumption over my 580s I probably would have pulled the trigger. But so...nope. Next stop - Maxwell.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Man, AMD was really gouging us with the 7970 selling for $500+ at launch.

I'm glad nvidia could bring us back down to reasonable priced inexpensive high-end cards.

Last edited:

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Had originally planned to get two, but decided against it. For 10-20% more performance and with zero increase in power consumption over my 580s I probably would have pulled the trigger. But so...nope. Next stop - Maxwell.

Even 100$ less than 1000$ would change so many opinions on this card. I think the performance relation to the GTX 690 will be a halt sign for quite a few; while the Titan is an amazing achievement for nvidia (in terms of performance and lack of noise) - I would love to get one of these things but the performance per dollar is just so skewed (poorly) on the Titan.

Last edited: