Any recent grads job hunting right now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
I probably work for the very same institution/university you attended for undergrad, I'm on the east campus, and I can tell you right now that grad school is the best thing you can do with a BS in chemistry. Just curious, are you a US citizen?

<--- Has a BS in chemistry

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Codewiz
I am just an engineer but my team is looking to expand. We need people that have the following qualifications:

BS or MS in Computer Science/Computer Engineering who graduated in the past 2 years
Self Starter who can work independently to solve problems
Strong Java background
Good knowledge of LDAP
Willingness to learn federated identity specs(SAML and InfoCard)

I would normally post in the unemployed thread but there is no specific job available. My boss is just looking to bring people on if we can find qualified folks

Starting salary is typically based on GPA. Last time I looked BS starting salary with a 3.0 or higher gets around 54K and a MS gets around 64K. That is good money in South Carolina because cost of living is pretty low.

Working for Blackbaud down in Charleston?

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I just graduated in Bio and have been looking for 3 months. Haven't found anything. I even applied to Best Buy's Geek Squad and had an interview, but no hire. A bio position at a local high school opened up so I'm going to get my teaching certificate and see if I can get hired as a high school teacher. :(

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Shawn
I just graduated in Bio and have been looking for 3 months. Haven't found anything. A bio position at a local high school opened up so I'm going to get my teaching certificate and see if I can get hired as a high school teacher. :(

Have you considered working in a clinical lab? You can usually find a program that gets you certified as a MT/CLS that's usually pretty cheap or even sometimes free. With a degree in bio you should be very well qualified for it.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: mcmilljb
I just graduated in Bio and have been looking for 3 months. Haven't found anything. A bio position at a local high school opened up so I'm going to get my teaching certificate and see if I can get hired as a high school teacher. :(

Have you considered working in a clinical lab? You can usually find a program that gets you certified as a MT/CLS that's usually pretty cheap or even sometimes free. With a degree in bio you should be very well qualified for it.

A lot of clinical labs, university affiliated labs are under a [soft] hiring freeze so be forewarned that it is not a given. If anything contact/ask any of the professor you were close with for some connections. Sometimes it's who you know. This also applies to the OP.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: James3shin

A lot of clinical labs, university affiliated labs are under a [soft] hiring freeze so be forewarned that it is not a given. If anything contact/ask any of the professor you were close with for some connections. Sometimes it's who you know.

It depends on the region. Some hospitals are still understaffed. Getting some experience should be good even if you don't get a job at the place you train.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Hacp
Originally posted by: asdftt123
Hey guys,

I'm wondering how all the rest of you (esp. c/o 2009) are doing with the job search. I started looking about a month ago and I've been really aggressive. I've applied to about 100 jobs through HR and I'm currently contacting faculty members at my school to look for a clinical research position. I haven't heard anything yet so I'm definitely feeling a bit doubtful. I consider myself a good candidate since I graduated from a top 10 university with a good GPA and background in chemistry, and I have some great experiences...research experience, publications, resident advisor in college, teaching assistant, peer counselor, etc. How's everyone else doing and anyone have any tips that's worked out for him/her?

Ever consider trying to teach high school?

or you could work at Home Depot and earn more

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Yeah, my university is under a hiring freeze right now so there haven't been any lab positions opening up. What does MT/CLS stand for? I'll look into it.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
I agree with you mcmilljb that any experience in this case is worthy of pursuing. Also, I'll go out on a limb to say that ALL hospitals are understaffed, they are also being very mindful of the economy and their finances. Tough combo during tough times, if you have connections, use them.

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Yeah, my university is under a hiring freeze right now so there haven't been any lab positions opening up. What does MT/CLS stand for? I'll look into it.

Medical Technology / Clinical Lab Science

I saw this list of typical places you could work.
- Hospital Laboratory
- Reference Laboratory
- Physician Office Laboratory
- Fertility Clinic
- Pharmaceutical Company
- Research Laboratory

Plus you could work federal/state agencies too. It looks pretty wide open to move around depending on what you want to do.

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004
Originally posted by: FleshLight
Have an interview with a #1 (in their field) engineering firm on Monday.

Think I did well. They are doing a 3rd round with the final 2 candidates next week. Hopefully I'm one of them.

Apparently they had over 200 apps and they narrowed it down to six.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Lol. Top 10 uni? Solid GPA? More academic than real world experience?

Guess you learned the hard way that those 3 things are NOT guarantees to landing a job.

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
Originally posted by: scorpious

Guess you learned the hard way that those 3 things are NOT guarantees to landing a job.

The guy also has some "real world" experience via publications, and as a TA. Sure it's not blue collar labor, but they're definitely valid in the white collar fields.

Also, you try getting outside experience while studying Chemistry at a tier 1 university. Chemistry in the Bmore area is pretty slim, unless you count pharmaceuticals - BLECH!

mcmilljb

Platinum Member
May 17, 2005
Originally posted by: James3shin
I agree with you mcmilljb that any experience in this case is worthy of pursuing. Also, I'll go out on a limb to say that ALL hospitals are understaffed, they are also being very mindful of the economy and their finances. Tough combo during tough times, if you have connections, use them.

Definitely right about being very mindful about their finances. Some hospitals have the money to hire, and some do not. My brother's current hopsital has been doing some hiring in their lab, and his previous one is only taking a few part-timers. It's definitely a tough time, no doubt about it. Doing a 1 year program is not too big of a commitment, and you can get some work experience. It's a pretty good deal for someone interested in working in a clinical setting.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004

There is no such thing as a guarantee. However, graduating from a top university makes it a hell of a lot easier to get many jobs. If you have "real world experience" in addition to that as many of us do/did, it makes it that much easier.

The_Dude8

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2000
Originally posted by: Gothgar
Hey guys,

I'm wondering how all the rest of you (esp. c/o 2009) are doing with the job search. I started looking about a month ago and I've been really aggressive. I've applied to about 100 jobs through HR and I'm currently contacting faculty members at my school to look for a clinical research position. I haven't heard anything yet so I'm definitely feeling a bit doubtful. I consider myself a good candidate since I graduated from a top 10 university with a good GPA and background in chemistry, and I have some great experiences...research experience, publications, resident advisor in college, teaching assistant, peer counselor, etc. How's everyone else doing and anyone have any tips that's worked out for him/her?

or you could work at Home Depot and earn more

You can do it, we can help. How much is HD paying hourly?

asdftt123

Jul 27, 2007

Way to be supportive... I take it you're bitter that I attended a good school and worked hard and stayed active? And these things don't lend themselves to helping a person secure a job? And of course you can't expect that I have too much "real world" experience since I've just graduated but I've already had professional experience in research, publications, teaching, and advising.

I just graduated in Bio and have been looking for 3 months. Haven't found anything. I even applied to Best Buy's Geek Squad and had an interview, but no hire. A bio position at a local high school opened up so I'm going to get my teaching certificate and see if I can get hired as a high school teacher. :(

I imagine a Bio major to have a bunch of opportunities upon graduation. Maybe look into research involving benchwork on in the clinic? Public health research maybe?

Yes, I was looking into this previously but my search for a teaching position fell through. I'm also equally interested in research and has more of a direct relation to my future grad/med school plans. The more I think about the more I want to avoid grad school in chemistry... I just can't imagine my life as a chemist and the most I'll ever do with it is perhaps an advanced degree in pharmacology. I'm really looking to switch my study focus if I seek out any advanced degrees.

Also, I'm not currently a U.S. Citizen but I have permanent resident status. I'm currently applying for citizenship which has been long overdue. I'm wondering if this will necessarily affect my chances of landing a position even though I've had multiple employment opportunities through my school and for other universities.

I'm not sure how much time everyone else here is putting into the job search, but I'm trying to do a few hours each day if possible. Since I'm only working part-time teaching my class so I have plenty of time to goof about. Currently, I'm trying to be super aggressive getting through to the principle investigators that are hiring directly and get in touch with faculty that have interesting research projects (who may or may not be hiring). Worst case scenario they will just ignore me...

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Codewiz
I am just an engineer but my team is looking to expand. We need people that have the following qualifications:

BS or MS in Computer Science/Computer Engineering who graduated in the past 2 years
Self Starter who can work independently to solve problems
Strong Java background
Good knowledge of LDAP
Willingness to learn federated identity specs(SAML and InfoCard)

I would normally post in the unemployed thread but there is no specific job available. My boss is just looking to bring people on if we can find qualified folks

Starting salary is typically based on GPA. Last time I looked BS starting salary with a 3.0 or higher gets around 54K and a MS gets around 64K. That is good money in South Carolina because cost of living is pretty low.

Working for Blackbaud down in Charleston?

Nope, if I am not mistaken, Blackbaud is a Microsoft shop.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001

Way to be supportive... I take it you're bitter that I attended a good school and worked hard and stayed active? And these things don't lend themselves to helping a person secure a job? And of course you can't expect that I have too much "real world" experience since I've just graduated but I've already had professional experience in research, publications, teaching, and advising.

LOL, yeah I'm bitter. I have a 2.3 GPA in engineering. I can't analyze for shit. I go to UC San Diego, which isn't great by any means but it's decent. Academically, I am NOT the shit.

Oh, but I have a job. An internship really, that has no relation whatsoever to engineering. Something I got because of natural talent.

Sooo, perhaps you need to find out what it is you're good at and chase that. Your academic glory can only get you so far. In a good market you'd have a job right now. I wouldn't doubt it. But a shitty market means even the best GPAs get turned down. Find out that attractive skill/talent you have, and market it to hell. It may not be your field of choice, but right now a job is better than no job.

clarkey01

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2004
Here in the UK I graduated with a 2.1 (second highest grade) and I did a year in industry working as Helpdesk, tech support and admin of an office network - nothing major, AD, DHCP, log on scripts.

However been job hunting now for 40 days, have applied for 35 jobs and had one interview so far , there was 20 of us going for 2 vacancies at an insurance company....meh

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
I consider myself a good candidate since ...

While this is nice and all, you will get OWNED in the job market by anyone out there with even 5 years of experience.

Sorry to be a prick, but it needed to be said.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Goodluck. It took me 9 months to find a job, and that was right before the economy hit the shitter. I am looking for another job now.....no one is hiring. Craigslist is a ghost town in the engineering section and job sites have nothing, so I am forced to stay at my job. It really sucks to be a new grad right college now. It sucks hard.

It was a lessons learned ....doing good in school only takes you so far, especially now. Unless you have an MIT degree, you better get some experience in something, and even then, it is still gonna suck, so your best bet is finding an internship and working your way to a full time job...even then, however, they may not even have the budget to keep you on board. It's the rotten truth that no school tells their students.

I wish I could say it will get better, but the longer this goes on, it kind of makes me believe that this may be the norm for a while.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ebaycj
I consider myself a good candidate since ...

While this is nice and all, you will get OWNED in the job market by anyone out there with even 5 years of experience.

Sorry to be a prick, but it needed to be said.

yup, there are people in the market right now with 10 years experience that are willing to take a salary reduction. People with no more than 2 years experience are gonna have it rough.