Any other Comcast customers having problems?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Originally posted by: Proletariat
Originally posted by: SethK28
Originally posted by: aplefka
Can anyone get through to 1-888-COMCAST? I'm gonna try calling the local number that goes to it.

You wont, they pulled the line. Even if you get thru past the busy signal and navigate thru the menu it will auotmatically disconnect you
Hahahaha. Comcast, you rock dudes.

Do you blame them? They obviously know there's a problem. Answering 150,000 phone calls from people saying, "tha intarweb is broke, you suck" won't help them fix it.

After how my service has been over the past month, yes. They know there is an overloaded node and they're doing nothing about it. It's been months since it got overloaded and they're just now trying to split it. My ping always goes way up during peak hours and the only reason I have Comcast is to play games. If I have high ping I might as well quit gaming and buy dialup because it's cheaper.

So yeah, I do blame them. Based on their track record of knowing about problems but not fixing them, they should be damn ready to hear it from all corners of the country if they're not going to fix the problem. Most normal home users won't know how to change the DNS Servers, so the least they could do is have a tutorial on how to do it on the phone.

By the way, changing them to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 worked for me.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
problems here in central NJ also. some sites work...some dont. luckily comcast knows how much i like to nef on ATOT. thanks comcast for not fux0ring with my ATOT :p

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Can anyone get through to 1-888-COMCAST? I'm gonna try calling the local number that goes to it.

You wont, they pulled the line. Even if you get thru past the busy signal and navigate thru the menu it will auotmatically disconnect you

Do you blame them? They obviously know there's a problem. Answering 150,000 phone calls from people saying, "tha intarweb is broke, you suck" won't help them fix it.

After how my service has been over the past month, yes. They know there is an overloaded node and they're doing nothing about it. It's been months since it got overloaded and they're just now trying to split it. My ping always goes way up during peak hours and the only reason I have Comcast is to play games. If I have high ping I might as well quit gaming and buy dialup because it's cheaper.

So yeah, I do blame them. Based on their track record of knowing about problems but not fixing them, they should be damn ready to hear it from all corners of the country if they're not going to fix the problem. Most normal home users won't know how to change the DNS Servers, so the least they could do is have a tutorial on how to do it on the phone.

Is DSL available in your area? If it is, you might contact them and ask for a free month to try it out.

*EDIT* BTW... explain how to change DNS servers to a normal home user with a recording? LOL

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

Is DSL available in your area? If it is, you might contact them and ask for a free month to try it out.

Nah, after all the bitching I did on the phone recently I got three months of 6mb/768kb at 19.95 with Comcast. Not gonna change for at least 2 months. :p

smartt

Golden Member
Sep 27, 2000
Tallahassee, FL as well. Online but intermittent problems. DNS change seemed to have helped.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
No problems around the baltimore/dc area. I use them as a relay and the gateway is up 100%...

Why use their crappy DNS anyways? I never understood this. If you have an active directory domain you must have a working dns server so...

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: sharkeeper
No problems around the baltimore/dc area. I use them as a relay and the gateway is up 100%...

Why use their crappy DNS anyways? I never understood this. If you have an active directory domain you must have a working dns server so...

What makes their DNS crappy? I mean, other than these few hours of downtime. How is Comcast's DNS inferior to other ones?

AdamMT1618

Nov 4, 2004
I am having slow speeds today, most websites have trouble connecting. I have unpluged my modem and the connecting cables. I have also resetted my router but still problems. I am from Washington State.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004

What makes their DNS crappy? I mean, other than these few hours of downtime. How is Comcast's DNS inferior to other ones?

Do you work for Comcast? Seriously, you've defended them in all the posts that I've seen and you're even the person who started this thread. Make up your mind, and stop sucking them off. Comcast isn't as great as you think it is. Just because you have good experiences with them doesn't mean all of us do.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

Do you work for Comcast? Seriously, you've defended them in all the posts that I've seen and you're even the person who started this thread. Make up your mind, and stop sucking them off. Comcast isn't as great as you think it is. Just because you have good experiences with them doesn't mean all of us do.

that didnt answer his question, which i woudl like to know the answer to also

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Same thing here in Chattanooga, TN.....the strange thing is...I put the routers DNS settings directly into my computers DNS settings and it will only go to 2 sites, ANANDTECH and COMCAST.NET :confused:

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Same thing here in Boston, now that we've confirmed that their DNS has been craptastic, anyone have any idea what is causing it?

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

I would like to know what makes their dns service inferior also, seriously. What is the difference of using 4.2.2.1 or any other etc instead of comcasts, once they are back up? I rarely have dns problems with comcast, so without this type of experience, what makes them worse? Are they supposedly overall slow? What would I gain from using something other than comcasts?

Blastomyces

Banned
Mar 23, 2004
It seems to me like I can browse faster with the 4.2.2.1 than the standard DNS, but thats just my perception I cant cant confirm it.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
What makes it crappy?

I have no idea but here is a clue. Check out DSL reports forums. This issue is brought up ALL THE TIME! Where there is smoke there is usually a fire. Well this one's well done, cooked to the keel!

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've had very, very few problems in the 3 years I've been with Comcast...

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Blastomyces
It seems to me like I can browse faster with the 4.2.2.1 than the standard DNS, but thats just my perception I cant cant confirm it.

For sites that I haven't been to before, there's a definite extra lag for me.