another prime-time Obamathon tonight?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: ericlp
Well, for the OP's thoughts and comments about how unimportant for a US president to come out and talk about his priorities of the USA and where he wants to take it and what issues we need to work on is sadly pretty foolish ... I for one just got done watching his effective speech.

I thought he did an excellent job on trying to hammer Education, Healthcare, Energy and deficit/economy plan home. I don't see any negative's in informing the public or the frequency doing so. Personally, I like his plan, it would be some of the things I would try to get the country back on track. Weather it works or not is another story.

You are what we in the sales business call "A Sucker". If you sell A Sucker long enough they will buy. Once A Sucker bites you gotta reel him in and close the deal.

How do you sell to A Sucker? And keep in mind this is sales 101 if you've ever worked in the industry...You keep hammering the sucker, relentlessly. Convincing the sucker that it's in his best interest to buy. You brush off any questions about validity and keep hammering the sucker. Then once he's on the hook, you have to set it...you move to the hard sell - "You really need to do this or it's gonna be bad for you". Now you can only use the final closing move once The Sucker is hooked.

Gotta give BB some credit, he's a great salesman.

OHHHHHhhh like you mean:

Iraq 9/11
9/11 WMDs
WMDs Iraq
Iraq Terrorists
Terrorists WMD
Terrorists 9/11 Iraq

rinse/repeat blah blah blah.

yeah.... there are some great salesmen out there... :p

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: OrByte
Well, for the OP's thoughts and comments about how unimportant for a US president to come out and talk about his priorities of the USA and where he wants to take it and what issues we need to work on is sadly pretty foolish ... I for one just got done watching his effective speech.

I thought he did an excellent job on trying to hammer Education, Healthcare, Energy and deficit/economy plan home. I don't see any negative's in informing the public or the frequency doing so. Personally, I like his plan, it would be some of the things I would try to get the country back on track. Weather it works or not is another story.

You are what we in the sales business call "A Sucker". If you sell A Sucker long enough they will buy. Once A Sucker bites you gotta reel him in and close the deal.

How do you sell to A Sucker? And keep in mind this is sales 101 if you've ever worked in the industry...You keep hammering the sucker, relentlessly. Convincing the sucker that it's in his best interest to buy. You brush off any questions about validity and keep hammering the sucker. Then once he's on the hook, you have to set it...you move to the hard sell - "You really need to do this or it's gonna be bad for you". Now you can only use the final closing move once The Sucker is hooked.

OHHHHHhhh like you mean:

Iraq 9/11
9/11 WMDs
WMDs Iraq
Iraq Terrorists
Terrorists WMD
Terrorists 9/11 Iraq

What we have here is someone who's back was against the wall and pulled the old "Blame the Bush" defense.

Past mistakes cannot justify new ones.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
OrByte - I forgot to mention what to do once The Sucker has nibbled a bit at the bait. You have to reward The Sucker with good faith, make it seem like you're really bending over backwards for The Sucker. Say give them 20 bucks a month discount - extra special! Just for you!

But let's deal in the present as all politicians are excellent salesman. I've just never seen it this blatant before in terms of hammering The Sucker.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Andrew1990

OHHHHHhhh like you mean:

Iraq 9/11
9/11 WMDs
WMDs Iraq
Iraq Terrorists
Terrorists WMD
Terrorists 9/11 Iraq

What we have here is someone who's back was against the wall and pulled the old "Blame the Bush" defense.

back against the wall? how so?

what would you like me to argue against? the fact that you don't like Obama? you are entitled to that opinion.

but lets call the game even no? You want to mention salesmen...you know the best salesmen are the ones that sold a phony war and we all took the bait.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008

OHHHHHhhh like you mean:

Iraq 9/11
9/11 WMDs
WMDs Iraq
Iraq Terrorists
Terrorists WMD
Terrorists 9/11 Iraq

what would you like me to argue against? the fact that you don't like Obama? you are entitled to that opinion.

but lets call the game even no? You want to mention salesmen...you know the best salesmen are the ones that sold a phony war and we all took the bait.

Yes, we could say both are/were salesmen trying to push THEIR agendas through.

I guess all politicians are like that more or less.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
OrByte - I forgot to mention what to do once The Sucker has nibbled a bit at the bait. You have to reward The Sucker with good faith, make it seem like you're really bending over backwards for The Sucker. Say give them 20 bucks a month discount - extra special! Just for you!

But let's deal in the present as all politicians are excellent salesman. I've just never seen it this blatant before in terms of hammering The Sucker.
ohhh no need to remind me of that.

I remember many a night I slept comfortably while good men were getting all them terrerrists and protecting me from the Saddam monster hiding under my bed.

yup...did I forget to say thanks Bush? shame on me.... :eek:

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

OHHHHHhhh like you mean:

Iraq 9/11
9/11 WMDs
WMDs Iraq
Iraq Terrorists
Terrorists WMD
Terrorists 9/11 Iraq

Yes, we could say both are/were salesmen trying to push THEIR agendas through.

I guess all politicians are like that more or less.

cant disagree with you there.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: JSt0rm01
Andrew is 1990 your year of birth?

Yes it is. I am 18 which would make me the rightful age to express my opinion at the voting booth.

:)

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

Why won't he address the fact that its going to cost us trillions? He won't f--king answer the questions.

He said we are going to move from an era of borrow and spend to save and invest when he's got a nearly 4 trillion dollar budget with a massive deficit to go with it? Its all bullshit.

I guess you must of missed the part of I am unsure if his plan will even work.

Anyway.... Some folks (Republicans among them) think we should be spending DOUBLE...

What's your plan? Don't spend any money? I agree that if we spend money on R&D Science and Technology the FOREFRONT of how this country GOT to the top in the first place. If we don't spend shitloads of money on it we won't grow. I agree...

Being a Science and Tech kinda guy I gotta agree. Other countries are spending GOB's of cash training for engineering and science; they are pulling way ahead very fast. If we want to continue to make the best planes, the best ships, the best chips, the best of the best we will need to invest in innovation and I can't think of a better place to invest our Dollars....

Energy... I'm thinking cars that can get 100MPG, Clean alternative energy, like solar and wind should be at the top of our agenda. Again, I can't see a better investment with our tax money.

Healthcare, With the LARGE number of people with out or too little healthcare coverage I think it's a GREAT issue and I'm thinking if you gave people free healthcare it would take a lot of stress off of the average american. Dunno, about you, I have healthcare but I'd like to see the USA get with program, I am think Canada and Euro Healthcare should be something we should seriously look into. Again since I am for it I can't see a much better place to invest our tax dollars.

I really think if he gets these agenda's right and balances them out I believe that for the long run we could turn the country around *IF* done right.

So, What's your plan?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jbourne77
Originally posted by: sandorski
Yup, Obama should just go on Vacation and ignore a Disaster in progress like a real President.

And smoke screening with past presidents helps us how?

"Obama's spending is setting records!"

"Yeah, but Bush blew off Katrina"

"Oh... yeah, that's right. Who's up for Kool Aid?!"

Obama not saying anything helps you, how?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

So, What's your plan?

They don't have one. The beauty of being a critic is you can nitpick, then sit back and point at the price tag.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
So, What's your plan?

This is The Sucker that not only has a hook set in his mouth being dragged into the boat, he wants to get dragged into the boat. Now that is some supreme sales work right there. Seriously, once the fish WANTS to get in the safety of the boat you can kill that fish and he'll be smiling at you all the while. If you haven't noticed I'm ready for fishing in real life and we will be trolling for 20-30 pound stripers. :)

Government is not the solution. Your heart is in the right place but free people do better.

What's my plan? Let free people provide solutions.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Farang

So, What's your plan?

They don't have one. The beauty of being a critic is you can nitpick, then sit back and point at the price tag.

Step one: stop going on Leno and concentrate on fixing the economy. Step 2: read and try to understand what you are signing so that failing companies don't have CEO's getting big bonu$$$$$$$$$ for doing nothing.. There are more but I need to do laundry. Oh, another one, on the top of my head, fire geithner.

Hey, Farang (by the way, one of my friends says that "Farang" it means a person who sleeps with little kids, just an fyi), are you still unemployed?Are the prospects still difficult to come by?

edit: "Farang" according to my friend means a person who travels long distances to foreign countries to sleep with prepubescent girls in 3rd world countries.. at least thats what he says..

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So, What's your plan?

This is The Sucker that not only has a hook set in his mouth being dragged into the boat, he wants to get dragged into the boat. Now that is some supreme sales work right there. Seriously, once the fish WANTS to get in the safety of the boat you can kill that fish and he'll be smiling at you all the while. If you haven't noticed I'm ready for fishing in real life and we will be trolling for 20-30 pound stripers. :)

Government is not the solution. Your heart is in the right place but free people do better.

Whoah, who is the Sucker here? Government non-involvement has worked out so well. I mean, there hasn't been the biggest Economic crisis since the Great Depression or anything.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: eleison
Originally posted by: Farang

So, What's your plan?

Step one: stop going on Leno and concentrate on fixing the economy. Step 2: read and try to understand what you are signing so that failing companies don't have CEO's getting big bonu$$$$$$$$$ for doing nothing.. There are more but I need to do laundry. Oh, another one, on the top of my head, fire geithner.

Hey, Farang (by the way, one of my friends says that "Farang" it means a person who sleeps with little kids, just an fyi), are you still unemployed?Are the prospects still difficult to come by?

edit: "Farang" according to my friend means a person who travels long distances to foreign countries to sleep with prepubescent girls in 3rd world countries.. at least thats what he says..

Don't worry, Farang actually has multiple accounts with which to log in, frequently using one to substantiate the others' posts. Quite pathetic, actually.

But anywho, I agree with whoever said they believe Obama genuinely wants to help. Like said poster mentioned, Obama's efforts are just being wasted. He's turned a deaf ear and a blind eye to basic human nature. Instead of acknowledging how rational people make decisions and using that to tweak the economy, he's trying to strong-arm it. His ideologies (and, frankly, total lack of experience) are making him completely ineffective at best. I still don't understand how jacking up the debt really means cutting it in half, but I can't wait to see Obama's brand of mathematics in action. Should be a good ride.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Don't worry, Farang actually has multiple accounts with which to log in, frequently using one to substantiate the others' posts. Quite pathetic, actually.

:confused: pics or ban

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Whoah, who is the Sucker here? Government non-involvement has worked out so well. I mean, there hasn't been the biggest Economic crisis since the Great Depression or anything.

This is where presentation matters to The Sucker. You have to make it appeal to them, make it so they WANT to take the bait. The poison pill. What's the best way to catch the fish? Force him into hunger and holed up and then present the bait in such a way that even his basic instinct is to not bite, but yet that fish bites and you complete the sale.

Then The Sucker is saved in his mind. And the fisherman laughs.

I'm not trolling, trolling is bait to see what bites, cold calling in the sales world. This is chumming from Obama - put the blood out there (bonuses) to see what shows up. Then present the lure, watch them fight over it, set the hook and reel them in. It's really sales 101.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: eleison

I am currently employed at an electrical contractor, fortunately.

Farang simply means 'foreigner' in Thai. Variations of the word mean the same thing in other languages. When I created my account I was living in Bangkok. In common usage it does not mean what your friend thinks, although it has gained that connotation outside the country.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

I'm genuinely curious, can you explain more what you think it is that I do?

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
So, What's your plan?

:confused: When has the Government NOT been involved?

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Originally posted by: sportage
He's on now.
Going on about that tax cut 95% of all us got.
You know... the $13 a week... :roll:

I never saw that $13 on my paycheck. It must go to someone else or Obama made a mistake.

It starts April 1st. It's more than $600 a year, which is larger than the "stimulus" check everyone was all excited about a year ago.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

OHHHHHhhh like you mean:

Iraq 9/11
9/11 WMDs
WMDs Iraq
Iraq Terrorists
Terrorists WMD
Terrorists 9/11 Iraq

Your lack of intellgence cannot hide the stoopidity of your comments...but hey this is America...even the mis-informed have a voice!

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda

OHHHHHhhh like you mean:

Iraq 9/11
9/11 WMDs
WMDs Iraq
Iraq Terrorists
Terrorists WMD
Terrorists 9/11 Iraq

Your lack of intellgence cannot hide the stoopidity of your comments...but hey this is America...even the mis-informed have a voice!

Well coming from someone who cant even spell Intelligence nor Stupidity, I guess I should take that comment with a grain of salt....

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
I agree with his proposals on what to do, I feel that if you followed and researched what he wanted to do during the campaign that his budget reflects that. I like his focus on healthcare, energy, and education is long past overdue, and I'm glad he is trying to pursue those agendas. It appears to me that while the next 10 years may be difficult deficit and debt wise, the following 20-30 should be very good for us.

Obviously, lots of people in this thread disagree.