Another Presidential Poll Late June 2016

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
No, go learn it yourself.
Going by raw support and not spread there are only 3 non-outliers where both values are within range.

46-41
44-39
47-42

This poll was within range for Trump but not Hillary. The Fox poll is in range for Hillary but not Trump.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
For comparison purposes, there were no outliers for either candidate in the final 9 polls in RCP in 2012.

Went back to similar time period and took 8 polls from 2012

There was only 1 outlier for either candidate.

Last edited:

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Nate Silver gave Trump a 20% chance of winning the election vs Clintons 79% chance.
This was on today's Good Morning America.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-has-a-20-percent-chance-of-becoming-president/

...but what does Nate Silver know about forecasting presidential elections?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Going by raw support and not spread there are only 3 non-outliers where both values are within range.

46-41
44-39
47-42

This poll was within range for Trump but not Hillary. The Fox poll is in range for Hillary but not Trump.

You do not understand how polls work. You embarrassed yourself four years ago by trying to act like you did. Don't make the same mistake.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trump-has-a-20-percent-chance-of-becoming-president/

...but what does Nate Silver know about forecasting presidential elections?
I wonder if his prediction engine takes into account indictments.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Do the math then. How do you determine an outlier poll?

Dude, it's right there in the very term "outlier." It's a poll whose results are significantly different than the results of the other polls.

You don't even need math to grasp this, except to know that, if the other polls show one candidate with, say, a range of 38-42% support but one poll has that candidate at 51%, well . . . spot the outlier!

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Dude, it's right there in the very term "outlier." It's a poll whose results are significantly different than the results of the other polls.

You don't even need math to grasp this, except to know that, if the other polls show one candidate with, say, a range of 38-42% support but one poll has that candidate at 51%, well . . . spot the outlier!
You need to be more rigorous than that. What does "significantly different" mean? When it gets into grey areas, how do you tell the difference between an outlier and something within expected values?

I ran basic stat formulas on the numbers and I came up with 5 out of 8 polls having outliers in them. None in the 2012 final 9 polls. This poll in the OP has an outlier in it and that is with Hillary's support.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Do you think Benghazi is like the FBI investigation in any meaningful way?

As a means to prevent a Democrat from usurping the White House?

Quick question: are Rice and Powell going to be investigated and "indicted" for something, too?

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
It's way too early for polls.
Most people don't even realize there is an election looming until November 1st.
Maybe November 2nd.
Not to mention all the democrats that realize it on November 9th. ;)
( I kid.... no, not really)

Trump will get a boost out of his convention. Then a week later, Hillary will get her boost from her convention.
And the debates will have a deciding factor, if they even have debates.
I still predict Donald Trump will NEVER debate Hillary face to face.
Donald will have some lame excuse not to attend.
Or a bad hair day.

We won't know who actually wins until November 8th.
And never have the polls meant so little as with this time.
Anything can create a huge swing in the polls. An terrorist attack somewhere in the world, more email scandal news, Trump insulting yet another minority class, anything can happen.

If there is a major terrorist attack somewhere in the world on November 7th, Trump could win. If not, then Hillary.
How in the hell can any poll predict THAT?

I liked the Canadian response.
After Obama gave a speech to the Canadian parliament, they all stood and cheered for Obama "4 MORE YEARS".
So whoever does win, whatever does happen, I thank god at least one country in the northern hemisphere still acts like an adult and maintains their sanity.
And they don't have a fence. (hint hint)

Last edited:

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
You need to be more rigorous than that. What does "significantly different" mean?

So . . . I take it you couldn't "spot the outlier?" D:

Dude, at best, you're overthinking this. I know you believe you're making a rigorous statistical point, but to the rest of us you're just being willfully obtuse.

I see you here as the guy at 1:14. :biggrin:

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
So . . . I take it you couldn't "spot the outlier?" D:
No I can't. I don't simply assume different data is an outlier to be ignored and discarded.
Dude, at best, you're overthinking this. I know you believe you're making a rigorous statistical point, but to the rest of us you're just being willfully obtuse.
I wish my analytical chemistry prof was as loose with outliers as you guys seem to be. Just throwing out the "its an outlier" just bothers me, maybe my non 4.0 in that lab has scarred me beyond repair.:D It being different wasn't a good enough reason to discard the data point and my calculations were off because of it.