Another mega church pastor defends his riches

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I do read the Bible, and he's right. It's not unbiblical to be wealthy. Nowhere in the Bible does it state that it's a sin to be wealthy. What the Bible does talk about extensively though, and that's what the verses you linked are referring to, is pursuing the money for the sake of loving money. Jesus never stated you can't be wealthy. He stated that you can't serve two masters. There's a big, big difference between those two statements. You really have to understand the context as to what is going on in those passages, because the people he told to give away all of their possessions were slaves to their wealth.

I mean, let's look at this. Example time. Why would God give Solomon unfathomable wealth if being wealthy was a sin?

2 Chronicles 1:11-12 - 11 God said to Solomon, “Because your greatest desire is to help your people, and you did not ask for wealth, riches, fame, or even the death of your enemies or a long life, but rather you asked for wisdom and knowledge to properly govern my people— 12 I will certainly give you the wisdom and knowledge you requested. But I will also give you wealth, riches, and fame such as no other king has had before you or will ever have in the future!”

Because it's not. God saw that Solomon was not a slave to his own wealth (and understand that Solomon was King David's son, so he was born into considerable wealth already). So, God blessed him with wealth beyond his imagination. This is an extremely important principle in biblical teaching; wealth follows wisdom and discernment.

So regarding this pastor purchasing a $200k Lambo for his wife? I don't know his specific circumstances regarding his heart and his wealth, but if he earned that money through true biblical principles, then more power to him.

What would Jesus have thought about using Christianity itself to become wealthy? We're not talking about merely being wealthy per se. We're talking about claiming that God wants people to give you money so please donate, then showering yourself in luxury. That is what these scumbags are doing.

Reactions: Zorba

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Thats the duh-logic effect behind centers of power, in religion, government, army, education, sports etc etc.
It attracts those who crave power.
And most often crave them for personal gain.
Why is government adressed as a cesspool? Draining the "swamp" for swamp creatures? Cause here be monsters.
For some reason we are more so morally surprised/outraged when it happens/is exposed in religion. Its exactly the same as any other center of power.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
a black guy buys a car and we are all admonish this dude? Why? its not about the amount. Those nuns stole money from the school. This black guy bought a thing with his money.
My issue is how he got "his money."

"Give me money or go to hell/be unemployed" "Give me money and become rich..."

Even if the money came from book sales, I'd bet a lot of money the majority of his living expenses are paid for by church donations. Just like Joel Osteen's $16M house. Even the books are probably more "donate money and you'll be rich" bullshit that targets the poor and desperate.

I don't give a shit what color he is, I find his entire profession of conning disgusting.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I'm torn on this. On one hand, preachers are mostly useless. On the other, separating fools from their money is a social benefit as it means that the fools are no longer directing the use of those resources.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'm torn on this. On one hand, preachers are mostly useless. On the other, separating fools from their money is a social benefit as it means that the fools are no longer directing the use of those resources.

Social benefit?
Now I wish I knew how many man hours it took to build that one $200k vehicle, vs six $35k vehicles.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Or he could buy a $35k car and use the rest for "Good Works"?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

But prosperity gospel con-men disproportionately prey on low income people who are convinced that if they give enough money to the scammy "church" then they'll be set.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
My issue is how he got "his money."

"Give me money or go to hell/be unemployed" "Give me money and become rich..."

Even if the money came from book sales, I'd bet a lot of money the majority of his living expenses are paid for by church donations. Just like Joel Osteen's $16M house. Even the books are probably more "donate money and you'll be rich" bullshit that targets the poor and desperate.

I don't give a shit what color he is, I find his entire profession of conning disgusting.

but that isnt unique. There are thousands of these types. Why dont we have thousands of threads?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
But prosperity gospel con-men disproportionately prey on low income people who are convinced that if they give enough money to the scammy "church" then they'll be set.

one of the greatest tricks of christianity was is told poor people they would get theres after they died. The control structures in place 2000 years ago needed something just like that to keep the masses in control. Everyone had weapon parity at that time so it was even more important to keep people in line.

Reactions: cytg111

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Its not unbiblical to be wealthy.
Matthew 19:16-24:

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”
17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?”Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”
18 “Which ones?” he inquired.
Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”
20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”
21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect,go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.Then come, follow me.”
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The 'fools' these phony Prosperity Gospel preachers prey the most upon are the elderly.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The question I ask myself is how much abuse are willing to put up with in the name of freedom of belief. Would that people have freedom of belief when clearly what they actually have is brainwashed conditioning.

Maybe a compromise...... All donations to religious institutions are taxed at 100% and distributed as a supplement to welfare. A similar fund shall be established for secular donations. Proof of whether God exists or not will be established by which fund is has distributed more welfare at the end of each year.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Well fine, but can't we also have a hunting season on such preachers to balance things our with eternal death?

i think you gotta be a special kind of preacher to make someone "feel" that giving you money means eternal life.

It takes a strong person to be truly atheist. To really know existence is but a moment and smile in its face. I dont expect the majority of the human population to be able to carry this.

Reactions: cytg111

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
i think you gotta be a special kind of preacher to make someone "feel" that giving you money means eternal life.

It takes a strong person to be truly atheist. To really know existence is but a moment and smile in its face. I dont expect the majority of the human population to be able to carry this.
You are not alone. The person who wrote what you posted is the language conscious person in your head. What about the other one who cannot speak, who does not think in language and thus can't conceive or express the notion of time, the one who is here in the now and will always be. Could he not be the one who is your rod and staff as you, the speaker, walks through time with your immortal Friend.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Meh,

I don't understand theism. I don't understand the "belief" in any gods, spirits, ghosts, or any other supernatural stuff. It is incomprehensible to me how somebody could convince themself to believe stuff like that.

How come people's bullshit meters don't go beep beep beep when they are being brainwashed. How is it possible to believe in any of that stuff? To me, it's never made any sense. It's always been so obvious. I know there are lots of people who claim that they really believe in a young earth, or a flat earth, or a virgin birth, or a reincarnation, but, why? how?

Is there like a gene for delusional thinking? Organised religion often meant being part of the group, being part of the community, having a social safety net, etc. So, it was genetically advantageous to be part of a religion. Is that why people are still religious today?

How can anybody be a theist?
Being atheist is very very easy IMO. It requires no mental gymnastics.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
You are not alone. The person who wrote what you posted is the language conscious person in your head. What about the other one who cannot speak, who does not think in language and thus can't conceive or express the notion of time, the one who is here in the now and will always be. Could he not be the one who is your rod and staff as you, the speaker, walks through time with your immortal Friend.

eternity goes in 2 directions. whatever I was doing 100 years ago is what I will go back to. Unconsciousness is the only place a sentient mind can be for eternity.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Meh,

I don't understand theism. I don't understand the "belief" in any gods, spirits, ghosts, or any other supernatural stuff. It is incomprehensible to me how somebody could convince themself to believe stuff like that.

How come people's bullshit meters don't go beep beep beep when they are being brainwashed. How is it possible to believe in any of that stuff? To me, it's never made any sense. It's always been so obvious. I know there are lots of people who claim that they really believe in a young earth, or a flat earth, or a virgin birth, or a reincarnation, but, why? how?

Is there like a gene for delusional thinking? Organised religion often meant being part of the group, being part of the community, having a social safety net, etc. So, it was genetically advantageous to be part of a religion. Is that why people are still religious today?

How can anybody be a theist?
Being atheist is very very easy IMO. It requires no mental gymnastics.

its not delusional. The greatest human trait is self sacrifice. This was built into our dna and the best way to do that is for the intelligent creature to have some higher order. Religion and nationalism hijacked this natural thing and now we sacrifice our bodies to countries and religions. Its literally built into who we are. Some of us and to greater numbers every generation see beyond.