Another mega church pastor defends his riches

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Not only is it not unbiblical to be wealthy, Jesus Himself taught us to invest and create more wealth with what we are given, no matter how large or small.

Matthew 25:14-30

The Parable of the Talents

14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

Keep in mind back then a talent was worth about 20 years for a laborer.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not only is it not unbiblical to be wealthy, Jesus Himself taught us to invest and create more wealth with what we are given, no matter how large or small.

Matthew 25:14-30

The Parable of the Talents

14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master's money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here, I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here, I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed, 25 so I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here, you have what is yours.’ 26 But his master answered him, ‘You wicked and slothful servant! You knew that I reap where I have not sown and gather where I scattered no seed? 27 Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest. 28 So take the talent from him and give it to him who has the ten talents. 29 For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.

Keep in mind back then a talent was worth about 20 years for a laborer.

Only a worshiper of Mammon would decorate a room this way-

large_946_8b62d.jpg

With a little effort I'm sure you could find a biblical passage to support damned near anything.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Only a worshiper of Mammon would decorate a room this way-

With a little effort I'm sure you could find a biblical passage to support damned near anything.

So could you ;)

Edit... Just to be clear, is this you throwing the first stone?

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
this is the volkswagon group making a high end suv with the lambo branding. Its not a aventador.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
i hate religion people but this is so far below that nasty fuck who bought a private plane with his "prosperity gospel" The only reason its in the news is because black man.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
i hate religion people but this is so far below that nasty fuck who bought a private plane with his "prosperity gospel" The only reason its in the news is because black man.

I think not. He'd be going for the private jet if his flock would spring for it, I figure. Being hooked up with Osteen might get him there.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Like, 6 people fall into that category, ain't just one guy.

C'mon. Prosperity gospel or not, christianity as presented in their bible, and as popularly espoused, is pretty straight forward about humility, pride (I think quite relevant regarding ostentatious displays of wealth) and the amassing of personal fortune when the poor are in need. I can provide you with at least 12 other pastors names who have been criticized for the same kind of thing without breaking a sweat, and they're white. Is it also racist to criticize Benny Hinn and Creflo Dollar?

I think this guy is full of shit, and his outrage does nothing to dismiss the fact that American religulous types have a conman problem. It's an industry. If he wants to settle any doubts over it, there are simple ways to prove he isn't just another conman taking advantange of sheep. Self-righteous indignation isn't it though. This isn't news because he's black, it's news because he bought a Lamborghini.

Last edited:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
all religion is full of shit. Im done blaming the leaders for making money off dummies. Because all organized religion does it. And I will reserve my outrage for real grifting. 200k aint a lot. As I said, anyone making 6 figures with the will to do it could own that suv.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
all religion is full of shit. Im done blaming the leaders for making money off dummies. Because all organized religion does it. And I will reserve my outrage for real grifting. 200k aint a lot. As I said, anyone making 6 figures with the will to do it could own that suv.

A generalization I used to make myself. 200k ain't a lot? I bet many if not all of his congregants would disagree. Hell, I disagree.

I'd say neither of us know if this guy is truly grifting here. At this point it's just his word, which is only that, talk. I learned a long time ago to not listen to what the religulous say, but to focus on what they do. So far he's done nothing but act incensed - as if the very notion of a pastor enriching himself like a grifter is unthinkable. Sounds like someone who gives a lot of sermons to me. If he proves everything is above board I will be surprised.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It’s not just his word if he was w2 and 1099s to back it up. As I said for someone making 6 figures it’s possible.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Now I'm not a Christian so I might be misunderstanding things but it seems to me that if you were a Christian holy man you'd not be spending $200k on a car regardless of where the money came from if you could be doing good works with that money.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
if we want to get outraged about religous people doing this shit then look at these 2...

https://cruxnow.com/church-in-the-u...ek-charges-against-two-nuns-for-embezzlement/

embezzled over 500k and maybe substantially more. but lets talk about a black man and a 200k suv bought with his own money.

I don't understand your need to frame this in the context of race. Your link appears to show that people were indeed outraged about those nuns, hence the parts about filing charges and full restitution. Why can't both situations be worthy of suspicion? Also, this thread isn't about nuns. If you feel the need to devote a thread to that particular act of malfeasance, go for it. Yes, let's talk about the subject, in the thread about the subject. And again, he says he used his own money, but we don't know that for sure. I'm having a hard time reconciling your feelings on organized religion with taking his word at face value too.

Whatever happened to the principle of the matter, why is the specific amount a sticking point for you? That smacks of standards for sale, I hope I'm wrong.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
a black guy buys a car and we are all admonish this dude? Why? its not about the amount. Those nuns stole money from the school. This black guy bought a thing with his money.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
a black guy buys a car and we are all admonish this dude? Why? its not about the amount. Those nuns stole money from the school. This black guy bought a thing with his money.

Your insistence on inserting a race card into the deck doesn't clarify anything, it's just you repeating yourself. I asked earlier if you were calling out racism wrt to Creflo Dollar and Benny Hinn, still haven't gotten an answer. If it's not about the amount why were you disparaging 200k as small potatoes, saying it doesn't warrant concern?

Black guys can buy whatever the hell kind of car they want! Pastors and priests of the christian faith have specific tenants that conflict with ostentatious displays of wealth, as myself and others have repeatedly tried to communicate to you. And for the record, I'm not convinced of his guilt, I'm saying there is enough here to be suspicious about and he is welcome to verify his story if he's so outraged. If he's not taking advantage of tax free status and little reporting requirements, has nothing to hide and wants to protect his image, then as you yourself confirmed, there are documents that can do that.

As a "god fearing" man that should want to assure his congregation of no malfeasance, he should be all over it.

Last edited: