Another blue state crumbles

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: herm0016
this is a stupid argument too, now figure that our per working person in the state, the red states have less population and less people to produce things.
Why is that? Do their red-state governments have anti-business, anti-growth policies?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Farang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...P_per_capita_(nominal)

9 out of 10 of the lowest per capita GDP states are red. Also consider that 56% of states are blue.

this is a stupid argument too, now figure that our per working person in the state, the red states have less population and less people to produce things.

maybe because nobody wants to live in the red states =P

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: wwswimming
is there state income tax in Washington ?

Nope. We average about 8% sales tax though.

That what folks seem to forget, if the state don't get it one way, they get it another. In Texas,(which I move out of last year) there is no state income tax, but other taxes are higher, such as property, sales, and others to make up for the lack of a state income tax. It's a trade off.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Deeko
Originally posted by: James Bond

No fucking shit. I don't know how she got re-elected.... I live in the city, and literally everyone I know was voting for Rossi (R). I was thrilled to see Obama get elected, but really, really disappointed when I saw that Gregoire pulled it off... again.

How do shitty politicians get re-elected? Do people really just vote blindly term after term, and pay no attention to what happened previously?

A) Rossi ran a terrible campaign. His commercials made me want to vote for Gregoire. Groups that supported him ran 529 ads that made me want to vote for Gregoire. All in all...his campaign sucked.

B) It was very easy for democrats to run on the "he's another George Bush Republican" platform

I watched some of their debates, and Rossi definitely seemed more poised and better in control of the issues - he got beat by the campaign process.

it was Bush's fault!

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: cubby1223

9 out of 10 of the lowest per capita GDP states are red. Also consider that 56% of states are blue.

Exactly what are you trying to say? Your blue states also have the highest cost of living.

quick link:
http://www.missourieconomy.org...st_of_living/index.stm

Higher cost of living relates to how demand to live in blue states is so high

Yea bc all the freeloaders flock to the states to vote themselves redistribution of wealth.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Blue states, for the most part, are big hit by the housing bubble harder than red states and the loss of property tax revenue is especially hard on them and their attempts on social equalization.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Why is that? Do their red-state governments have anti-business, anti-growth policies?

how about because there are not as many resources in most red states. not many red states have ports, many are planes states with lots of hard working farmers. do you like to eat things with corn or wheat in them?

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80

Exactly what are you trying to say? Your blue states also have the highest cost of living.

quick link:

Yea bc all the freeloaders flock to the states to vote themselves redistribution of wealth.

What's it like to know that your vote will never count here?

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I voted for rossi for the second time.
Everyone I talked to was voting for rossi as well, including my democratic friends so was kinda odd.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: bozack
MA is having issues of its own...they are now considering a gas tax hike as well as raising tolls on the Pike, and it is pretty much guaranteed that property taxes will be on the move again next year.

Actually they are considering the gas tax in lieu of raising the tolls and maybe even doing away with them to find an equitable way to pay for debts like the huge one from the Big Dig, a debt left to MA by ex Gov Romney. Not that Boston didn't need it but it has to be paid for some how.

Text

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: winnar111
I'm guessing the city and state that collects hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue cares so they can funnel that money to the teacher's union.

Oh well, that's gone now.

If it was the Seahawks I might agree. No one goes (went?) to Sonics games and no one goes to Mariners games.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

So go ahead, pull some partisan BS out of your ass, but Washington is a blue state that tries to act like a red state, so per your own logic, the ways of the red states are failing in WA. I don't look at it that way - just responding to your asinine title.

Given how great Texas is doing thanks to Bush and Perry, looks like they aren't trying properly! :laugh:

LOL

Texas State Moto: Last in Education | First in Executions

Originally posted by: ProfJohn

What kind of dumb ass statement is that?

Of the ten fastest growing states (by percentage) in the country 6 are solid red.
One (North Carolina) is traditionally red.

Not even close. In the last 100 years North Carolina has had 21 Democratic governors and 2 Republican governors (who held office for 12 years, total). Republican control of the State General Assembly even less than that ....

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Could be worse. Our Democratic Governor in Illinois often runs at 15-20% approval rating, dipping even down to 4% last month! :eek: Massive corruption problems in this state.

Fixed.

I'm a Chicago native, I got the hell out in the 90s.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: wirelessenabled
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Topic Title: Another blue state crumbles
Topic Summary: Bye Washington!

Ooooh please say you live there and you will leave

No, but the Sonics did. The Democrats ran em out of town.

Yeah the Redumblicans wanted to build the franchise some monster arena for free. Demoncrats said no. Good riddance!

Already paying for a football stadium for Seahawks owned by billionaire Paul Allen and a baseball stadium for the Mariners. If the bastards can't make a go of it let them move, who cares?

I'm guessing the city and state that collects hundreds of millions of dollars in tax revenue cares so they can funnel that money to the teacher's union.

Oh well, that's gone now.

Seriously? The theory that professional sports teams increase the local economy enough to pay for their bloated arenas was debunked long ago.

So Gregoire gets a hard time for increasing K-12 and higher education spending (no way THAT investment will ever pay off). But then "democrats" also get a hard time for NOT throwing hundreds of millions at a billionaire sports franchise owner.

It all makes sense now.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Could be worse. Our Democratic Governor in Illinois often runs at 15-20% approval rating, dipping even down to 4% last month! :eek: Massive budget problems in this state.

Sigh, yeah.. Blagojevich is an idiot.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Of the ten fastest growing states (by percentage) in the country 6 are solid red.

Not even close. In the last 100 years North Carolina has had 21 Democratic governors and 2 Republican governors (who held office for 12 years, total). Republican control of the State General Assembly even less than that ....
And the state just voted for a Democrats President for the first time in how many years?

Red state/blue state is more of a way to compare states on a national level. You can't look at a Democrat governor or state assembly and claim it is a blue state. Those Democrats are going to be FAR different than the Democrats in states like New York or Mass etc.

ChunkiMunki

Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Jiggz
Originally posted by: ChunkiMunki
wouldn't there still be a budget crisis if Rossi had won?

Do you even have a clue! Go do some reading dude! You're an embarrassment to society if you do not read before you post!

The obvious answer is "YES" there still would be a defecit if Rossi had won. DUH?? And guess what? He would be doing the same things as Gregoire is doing now. So replying to a topic about the budget crisis by stating "I voted for Rossi" is asinine.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
WA state's revenue model and leading businesses are infamously susceptible to economic downturns. There would still be a deficit now even if Rossi had won both times.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
MA is having issues of its own...they are now considering a gas tax hike as well as raising tolls on the Pike, and it is pretty much guaranteed that property taxes will be on the move again next year.

Actually they are considering the gas tax in lieu of raising the tolls and maybe even doing away with them to find an equitable way to pay for debts like the huge one from the Big Dig, a debt left to MA by ex Gov Romney. Not that Boston didn't need it but it has to be paid for some how.

Text

Ummm Romney was responsible for the Big Dig debt?

Please tell me. The Big Dig started in 1985 and finished shortly after he took office in 2003.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

So go ahead, pull some partisan BS out of your ass, but Washington is a blue state that tries to act like a red state, so per your own logic, the ways of the red states are failing in WA. I don't look at it that way - just responding to your asinine title.

Given how great Texas is doing thanks to Bush and Perry, looks like they aren't trying properly! :laugh:

LOL

Texas State Moto: Last in Education | First in Executions

So you are calling Texas a traditionally blue state too?

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80

quick link:

actually because those places are tolerable to live and have decent job opportunities.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton

how about because there are not as many resources in most red states. not many red states have ports, many are planes states with lots of hard working farmers. do you like to eat things with corn or wheat in them?

almost all the corn growing states went blue.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Text

Correct. And bozack talked about property taxes not going up due to prop 2 1/2 if MA eliminated the state income tax. Like that flip-flopping.