Anonymous rapes "security" firm investigating them for WikiLeaks related DDoSing

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
What type of person sides with the feds in a case like this? Yikes.

The people should always win. In my eyes, Anon represents the people.

:thumbsup:

jteef

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2001
What Anon did was not ethical, but IMHO Anon did a great service to society & the security community by letting everyone know where is the weakest link, and saving the tax payer some money while they are at it.

the travesty is that the gov't is oblivious enough to not even know about this, and even if they did know, the company probably wouldn't lose contracts over it. I doubt they would even lose new gov't business.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Owned...
The releasing of the emails went bit too far, but the rest was a fair game IMO.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
Anonymous is trying to make people afraid of them. You don't do that by trading threats. You pick a tough guy with a big mouth and publicly castrate him, which is pretty much what they did.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Anonymous is trying to make people afraid of them. You don't do that by trading threats. You pick a tough guy with a big mouth and publicly castrate him, which is pretty much what they did.

I dont think they care whether or not people are afraid. The dude basically called Anon out and Anon, being a Hive Mind, responded 10x the amount that would be typical. What people don't realize, refused to acknowledge, or just plain forget is that while Anon is full of a shit ton of script kiddies and LOIC users, someone in that bunch has working knowledge of almost every OS in existence. And they are familiar with the security holes and protocol used by the industry. What is making ANON more dangerous to screw with is the fact that alot of 14 year olds that started using 4chan for the lolz are entering college/work force with a much greater knowledge then they had. And the more publicity they get the more hoards of people they get to do the grunt work such as the DDoS attacks.

DanDaManJC

Oct 31, 2004
I dont think they care whether or not people are afraid. The dude basically called Anon out and Anon, being a Hive Mind, responded 10x the amount that would be typical. What people don't realize, refused to acknowledge, or just plain forget is that while Anon is full of a shit ton of script kiddies and LOIC users, someone in that bunch has working knowledge of almost every OS in existence. And they are familiar with the security holes and protocol used by the industry. What is making ANON more dangerous to screw with is the fact that alot of 14 year olds that started using 4chan for the lolz are entering college/work force with a much greater knowledge then they had. And the more publicity they get the more hoards of people they get to do the grunt work such as the DDoS attacks.

it's true, unadulterated, information freedom. sure 90% of what they do is absolutely senseless and juvenile, but we really could be witnessing the start of another phase of democratic revolution here

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
The pen is mightier than the swords.

While human errors lent credence to this fallout, Bit-9 is no joke of a tool.

bignateyk

Lifer
Apr 22, 2002
Meanwhile, please be aware that any information currently in the public domain is not reliable because the perpetrators of this offense, or people working closely with them, have intentionally falsified certain data. HBGary, Inc and HBGary Federal are committed to a comprehensive, accurate, and swift response to this crime.
haha, this part is pretty funny. (From HBGary front page)

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
They way they got that root pw is insane. That admin needs fired on the spot.

Even a small company should never reset a pw based simply on an email.

seriously. there should be password reset protocols regardless of who the user claims to be. i remember i once worked for a large network and had to do a password reset for a rear admiral, but he couldn't remember his reset phrase, had to use a proxy who also didn't know his reset phrase and had to email from his account requesting a password reset. once i got the email i was able to "identify" the proxy, who in turn "identified" the rear admiral. needless to say, the RA was pissed beyond belief.

i don't miss those days on the helpdesk at all.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005

would they be "silly" enough to try and hack into the president's BB?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
seriously. there should be password reset protocols regardless of who the user claims to be. i remember i once worked for a large network and had to do a password reset for a rear admiral, but he couldn't remember his reset phrase, had to use a proxy who also didn't know his reset phrase and had to email from his account requesting a password reset. once i got the email i was able to "identify" the proxy, who in turn "identified" the rear admiral. needless to say, the RA was pissed beyond belief.

i don't miss those days on the helpdesk at all.

Ype that is the problem I was making before. You make it secure then you piss off people and lose customers. Make it easy and things like this hit the news and make you look dumb.

I say leave it easy and have the idiots I mean customers sign waviers.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
What type of person sides with the feds in a case like this? Yikes.

The people should always win. In my eyes, Anon represents the people.

:thumbsup:

1. You do know that HBGary Federal is not the "Feds." They are a private company and not the government (kind of like "Federal Express"), right?

2. In my opinion, Anonymous represents only itself (or a select few members of Anonymous) in this case. They're not representing the people, they're not supporting whistleblowing at a company involved in criminally negligent or deliberate actions, they're not supporting Wikileaks. I find their response very disproportional to the empty threat.

I don't see Loke around here anymore. Why is that?

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Here's the whole irc chat log between the president of HBGary and Anonymous:

http://pastebin.com/x69Akp5L

I cannot believe this was the first time she used IRC and she has no idea what bittorrent is, wtf... she kept on begging them to take down the file, as if that was possible with bittorrent, lol.

Also, arstech has a more detailed article about all of this

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...m-tracked-anonymousand-paid-a-heavy-price.ars

edit:

1. You do know that HBGary Federal is not the "Feds." They are a private company and not the government (kind of like "Federal Express"), right?

2. In my opinion, Anonymous represents only itself (or a select few members of Anonymous) in this case. They're not representing the people, they're not supporting whistleblowing at a company involved in criminally negligent or deliberate actions, they're not supporting Wikileaks. I find their response very disproportional to the empty threat.

Actually, you're wrong. The reason they did what they did was because this Aaron Barr guy was going to reveal identities at a conference he was giving and also to the FBI. Based on the articles and also the IRC chatlog, it seems Aaron got these identities via people who clicked the 'like' button for the Anonymous page on facebook and they're claiming a lot of those are innocent people who have nothing to do with hacking. Based on the pdf document, it wouldn't surprise me, it looked like really sloppy work.

Last edited:

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Ah, my bad. I just skimmed the thread before.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
HBGary must be full of morons to allow this shit to happen. Hey, security is just about free as long as you don't hire idiots to implement.

Also, to the guy that stated a hacker got in through their Cisco routers, why the fuck didn't you restrict access control or even authenticate against some kind of RADIUS system or something?

For all involved, here are the MINIMUM standards of security we implement at work:

http://iase.disa.mil/stigs/content_pages/network_infrastructure.html

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Actually, you're wrong. The reason they did what they did was because this Aaron Barr guy was going to reveal identities at a conference he was giving and also to the FBI. Based on the articles and also the IRC chatlog, it seems Aaron got these identities via people who clicked the 'like' button for the Anonymous page on facebook and they're claiming a lot of those are innocent people who have nothing to do with hacking. Based on the pdf document, it wouldn't surprise me, it looked like really sloppy work.

That Aaron Barr guy sounds like a pompous asshole who was in it to try to make a name for himself and sell info, and he fully deserved what he got. Clueless PHB with his "hours of research" lol. His "coder" guy in the arstechnica article sounds like he gets it, though.

Last edited:

A Casual Fitz

Diamond Member
May 16, 2005
Just finished reading this thread. Besides the unnecessary low brow childish Twitter posts I think Anon is full of win here. They took a security company and proved just how weak they are.