Anonymous rapes "security" firm investigating them for WikiLeaks related DDoSing

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Nope, just disgusted by a group of hackers with the attitude of a schoolyard bully. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean that you SHOULD.

Thats fine but in this case the bully was the fed and Anon is like the ninja kid who swooped in at the last second and either saved your ass, or at least took pictures of your ass beating and showed the pics to every person in the school just to teach the bully he's not immune or invulnerable.

Anon did NO BULLYING whatsoever of their own. None.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
You are wrong. Anonymous accomplished real good here by exposing a "security" company that we now know is pretty much worthless.

Anonymous went overboard.

Could they have accomplished that by doing exactly what I proposed instead of doing what they did? Yup.

Did the company actually harm Anonymous? Nope.

Did Anonymous harm the company and post a guy's SS#? Yup.

Did the punishment fit the crime? In my opinion, no. If someone insults me, I might punch him in the face, but I wouldn't feel justified shooting him in the head.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Anonymous went overboard.

Could they have accomplished that by doing exactly what I proposed instead of doing what they did? Yup.

Did the company actually harm Anonymous? Nope.

Did Anonymous harm the company and post a guy's SS#? Yup.

Did the punishment fit the crime? In my opinion, no. If someone insults me, I might punch him in the face, but I wouldn't feel justified shooting him in the head.

If Anonymous did anything less than this, the company would have quietly hushed it up and let it blow over, accomplishing nothing.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Thats fine but in this case the bully was the fed and Anon is like the ninja kid who swooped in at the last second and either saved your ass, or at least took pictures of your ass beating and showed the pics to every person in the school just to teach the bully he's not immune or invulnerable.

Anon did NO BULLYING whatsoever of their own. None.

I think we can agree to disagree. Please see the above post for my analogy.

Also, by releasing 50,000 emails, Anonymous has dragged into this mess anyone who's done business with HBGary. Do you really think Anonymous bothered vetting those emails and screened out sensitive information on HBGary's clients?

That's just plain malicious.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If Anonymous did anything less than this, the company would have quietly hushed it up and let it blow over, accomplishing nothing.

THIS!!!!!

People think appropriate punishment these days is slap on the wrist for multiple serious infraction. And they wonder why bullies keep doing shit.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
HBGary Federal pull a publicity stunt and wasn't prepare as well as incapable of protecting themselves nor their clients. IMHO HBGary Federal isn't worth the money that they say they are.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Why? Anonymous has been a thorn at the side of the Church of Scientology and now they're supporting wikileaks. Yeah, they do 'black hat' hacking, but they do it for a good cause.

They do it for THEIR cause, whether it's good or not is all opinion. I personally find anon to be slightly immature.

That said, they are effective and I don't think they're "evil" in the way most people think of "evil". I'm all for more transparency and accountability, so I root for them and Wikileaks there. I can also understand the support for Bradley Manning defense fund, but I also think we're justified in burning Bradley at the stake. I mean the dude signed up and agreed, not to just the military, but to the people of the United States, to do a certain job. He broke that contract and should be punished for such. Anything above and beyond that is just a bitter government attacking their "enemies".

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I think we can agree to disagree. Please see the above post for my analogy.

Also, by releasing 50,000 emails, Anonymous has dragged into this mess anyone who's done business with HBGary. Do you really think Anonymous bothered vetting those emails and screened out sensitive information on HBGary's clients?

That's just plain malicious.
Keeps hiding behind that shield & bury your head in the sand isn't going to protect you from the bandits/

Case in point with Microsoft for spreading the missed information regarding their OS security, and now Windows 7 finally implemented what security experts and Linux/Unix admins have been saying for decades.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002

Bull.

Anonymous could easily have:

Posted a FEW emails, and warned HBGary that they would publish the rest if HBGary claimed that they hadn't been hacked. HBGary most probably would have agreed to acknowledge the breach in order to protect their information.

Posted the first few digits of Aaron Barr's SS# without revealing the whole thing.

Instead, they took the low way.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Keeps hiding behind that shield & bury your head in the sand isn't going to protect you from the bandits/

Case in point with Microsoft for spreading the missed information regarding their OS security, and now Windows 7 finally implemented what security experts and Linux/Unix admins have been saying for decades.

I don't even know what you're trying to say in this post. I'm not claiming that I'm safe in any way.

I think bfdd put it very well. Anonymous has performed some very immature actions. Maybe not evil, but not good either.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
Bull.

Anonymous could easily have:

Posted a FEW emails, and warned HBGary that they would publish the rest if HBGary claimed that they hadn't been hacked. HBGary most probably would have agreed to acknowledge the breach in order to protect their information.

Posted the first few digits of Aaron Barr's SS# without revealing the whole thing.

Instead, they took the low way.
Barr publicly threaten Anon and you expected the bandits going to just roll over and play dead?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Barr publicly threaten Anon and you expected the bandits going to just roll over and play dead?

So you have no problem with the invasion of Iraq then right? I mean Saddam did threaten the USA.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I don't even know what you're trying to say in this post. I'm not claiming that I'm safe in any way.

I think bfdd put it very well. Anonymous has performed some very immature actions. Maybe not evil, but not good either.
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,"
"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to."

Bilbo Baggins

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
So you have no problem with the invasion of Iraq then right? I mean Saddam did threaten the USA.
LOL!

How sad, and the US never threaten anyone.

This thread is about Network security showboating, and the showboaters got caught with their pants down because they weren't prepare.

Last edited:

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
I hope that my banks don't use HBGary or any other pretentious security service to protect my personal accounts because it would be a disaster.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002

Back to my analogy.

If you insult me, I think I'm justified in insulting you back, and depending on the circumstances, I might even punch you in the face.

But I'm not justified in taking out a gun and shooting you. Or posting your SS# on the internet.

I'm not saying HBGary didn't deserve a punch in the face, but they didn't deserve to get shot either, and certainly their clients shouldn't have been dragged in either.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I can also understand the support for Bradley Manning defense fund, but I also think we're justified in burning Bradley at the stake. I mean the dude signed up and agreed, not to just the military, but to the people of the United States, to do a certain job. He broke that contract and should be punished for such. Anything above and beyond that is just a bitter government attacking their "enemies".

Bradley Manning HAS NOT BEEN CONVICTED OF ANY CRIME, and you're ready to burn him at the stake. Everyone has the right to due process of law.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
LOL!

How sad, and the US never threaten anyone.

This thread is about Network security showboating, and the showboaters got caught with their pants down because they weren't prepare.

You're the one justifying ruining someones life and destroying a company based on threats. I'm just applying your logic to other situations I know you don't apply the same logic to. Hence you're full of shit.

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
You're the one justifying ruining someones life and destroying a company based on threats. I'm just applying your logic to other situations I know you don't apply the same logic to. Hence you're full of shit.
I worked in security in the past and that how it work in the dog eat dog world.

Lesson 1. Stay in obscurity and Do Not draw attention to yourself because your are in the business of "security".

Lesson 2: Greatness come with great responsibility.

Lesson 3: Remain calm at all time, and do not negotiate with the enemy.

Lesson 4: Have protections and make sure that it is secured if you must expose yourself.

And doesn't matter how much you prepares, the enemy will find your weak point.

Last edited:

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Yea but as pointed out, let alone the S.Palin reset, most questions are easy to get. Fav car, mothers name, pet, high school, etc....
For some, that can be found easily as you stated.

I use basic questions but give fake answers. 1 was where were you born I had russia as the answer. Another was moms name I put timmy. But most use REAL answers that are easy to find.

That is a wonderful idea. But now anyone can find out what you put down if they wanted to hack your account because you POSTED THEM ONLINE. My head just asploded from the stupid.

As was stated, the weak link in the strongest security is the person.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
damn I hope I never get on those guys bad side.
Yeah...they'll kind of really mess up your life if they are given cause to do so. (And don't ever cause harm to come to a cat, or they will find you.;))

As was stated, the weak link in the strongest security is the person.
:D

Yea but as pointed out, let alone the S.Palin reset, most questions are easy to get.

Fav car, mothers name, pet, high school, etc....

I use basic questions but give fake answers. 1 was where were you born I had russia as the answer. Another was moms name I put timmy. But most use REAL answers that are easy to find.
Exactly. Or complete nonsense answers.

What's your favorite car?
Thursday helium.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Bradley Manning HAS NOT BEEN CONVICTED OF ANY CRIME, and you're ready to burn him at the stake. Everyone has the right to due process of law.

Kadarin, you're right he has not been convicted of a crime. I should have been more clear on that. If he is convicted of the crime he is accused, he should be burned at the stake.