Andrew Luck vs RG3

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

When all is said and done when they retire, who do you think will be deemed the bette

• Luck

• RG3

• Russell Wilson

Results are only viewable after voting.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
"the same offensive line"? wtf are you talking about? yeah, they play for the same team, but it's a different offensive line. the right side of the line has been redone and they have a new offensive line coach. it's a different offensive line.

if you honestly think there's no significant difference between the offensive line now and the offensive line last year, you're very wrong.

i know it's upgraded from last year, i'm being a bit facetious with that comment. but let's be real, they didn't upgrade from the worst line in the NFL to being the patriots offensive line.

even with the small sample size of the preseason it's so obvious that the problem was rg3. look at how many times he got sacked/hit in preseason compared to how many snaps he took. then compare that to the same number of snaps with cousins behind that same line.

the only difference is the qb and it's because rg3 has no clue wtf to do behind center. it's sssssoooooo fucking obvious that the problem is rg3. the fact that you still can't see that after 2 years of excuses is simply baffling.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
luck never had an offensive line this awful. his previous offensive lines were decent in protecting him, but garbage when it came to opening gaps for runners. he's never had a quality line, but he had one that was good enough to protect him enough to throw deep with accuracy.

Luck has been consistently among the most hit QBs in the league and has even led the category if I am not mistaken. His line is garbage and I think it is mostly due to coaching (or lack thereof).

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
ok.

edit: I see his point, your article is from pre-season and he's saying he learned during the season. I was really confused too.

yeah, he didn't learn in his 2 previous years in the nfl, nor during the preseason, but all of a sudden he learns come week 1 of last season. okay.

eits won't be able to show us rg3's "real" slide because he never had one. i have watched every single second of rg3 playing in his nfl career, preseason and regular season, and he has never ever pulled off a "correct" nfl slide.

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
yeah, he didn't learn in his 2 previous years in the nfl, nor during the preseason, but all of a sudden he learns come week 1 of last season. okay.

eits won't be able to show us rg3's "real" slide because he never had one. i have watched every single second of rg3 playing in his nfl career, preseason and regular season, and he has never ever pulled off a "correct" nfl slide.

Hey I didn't say it made sense, just that it was his point. I have seen quite a few of his games, maybe a dozen and was never really impressed beyond his running. He seems accurate enough when everything goes right, so that's like, what 5 plays a game?

Didn't RG3 play baseball, the QB slide should be easier than a base slide.?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Andrew Luck = 10 INTs through 5.5 games this season
RGIII = 0 INTs through 6 games this season.

RGIII > Luck, obviously.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
kirk cousins only has 8 ints through 7 games.

kirk > luck

???

Yes this year Cousins has been better from a metrics standpoint.

Interestingly enough, you'd have to go back to the thanksgiving game in 2012 to find a game where RG3 scored more fantasy points than Cousins yesterday. Cousins did awesome, that kinda put the nail in the coffin for Robert.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Yes this year Cousins has been better from a metrics standpoint.

Interestingly enough, you'd have to go back to the thanksgiving game in 2012 to find a game where RG3 scored more fantasy points than Cousins yesterday. Cousins did awesome, that kinda put the nail in the coffin for Robert.

He did well against Tampa, so lets not fill his HoF ballot out just yet. ;)

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Luck seems to be better than RG3, but he's not the second coming people thought he was going to be either. Looks to me like he's going to shake out to be another good, but not amazing quarterback.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
it's official

luck = worst qb in the nfl

even worse than kaepernick who is getting benched.

he has the most picks out of anyone, including rg3.

therefore...

rg3 > luck

/thread

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
it's official

luck = worst qb in the nfl

even worse than kaepernick who is getting benched.

he has the most picks out of anyone, including rg3.

therefore...

rg3 > luck

/thread

Agreed. RG3 has zero interceptions, so he is obviously better!

Luck seems to be better than RG3, but he's not the second coming people thought he was going to be either. Looks to me like he's going to shake out to be another good, but not amazing quarterback.

Luck is playing like shit, but you're jumping to conclusions WAY too early. Interestingly, Peyton Manning's fourth season was also one of his worst seasons (threw 23 INTs). What happened after that? Irsay cleaned house, just as he HOPEFULLY will do after this season. Dismissing Pagano will not be enough - he needs to fire Grigson, Pagano, and both coordinators at a minimum.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
it proves how good coaching and a quality offensive line really does matter.

They made some "changes" to the offense over the offseason. I don't recall what those changes are but I do know this - they're not working. Luck is playing like shit, receivers are having difficulty getting open, and the bad offensive line is only playing worse.

Grigson bragged that at Philly, they built decent offensive lines using low draft picks and FAs, so it seems he kept that philosophy here with one exception - he hasn't built a decent OL. Grigson, Pagano, Hamilton, and Manusky all need to be canned but I am almost afraid the Colts will have a late winning streak that might save them. That can't happen - they all need to be fired unless they somehow win the Super Bowl, which won't happen.

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Welcome to the proper side! :awe:

:hmm:by the way, think Indy is interested in a trade...mebbee you can swing that for us over here in Redskins world?

Sure - we'll trade you Grigson, Pagano, Pep Hamilton, and Greg Manusky for RGIII and your best 2 offensive linemen. Deal? :awe:

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
the colts' problems lie with their general manager, plain and simple.

their offensive line is dogshit. their coach is dogshit. their offensive coordinator is dogshit.

how can luck be expected to play worth a damn if he can't get protection to find open receivers? it isn't like he can rely on a run game... they haven't had a run game for, what, a decade? dude is expected to force passes because he can't keep throwing it away or take hits and sacks every snap.

now, you see some of the issue i had with people saying rg3 sucked. if luck hadn't proven over two seasons that he didn't suck, because he at least had SOME protection, then everyone would be saying he sucks rather than making valid excuses for him. rg3 only had one good year, followed by a couple years of shellshock and no protection and a new style of playing that he was trying to get comfortable with. this is why i was saying that it's too early to write rg3 off, because he hasn't been given the opportunity to succeed behind a new line of protection that he can trust. it's why scot mccloughan only wrote off rg3 whenever he saw the chaos that was being created in the locker room because of him being named the starter; mccloughan knows rg3 has potential and talent, but having him be given the position without earning it was costing him the locker room support, which is poison to a team. that's why he finally supported getting rid of or benching rg3.

jay gruden's gotta go, though. bottom line: he sucks as a coach and shouldn't have been named head coach in the first place.

we shouldn't have let kyle shanahan go, either. rg3 should have been told to shut his ass up and get in line.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
'Skins to cut RG3. Now we can segue this conversation into more productive topics, like what team will pick him up, for what role (challenge for starter or backup) and how he'll do in a new system. Rams seem like as good an option as any, especially since Foles isn't the answer there. Plus with the extra 3 first round draft picks from WAS in place RG3 will have a solid base to work with and maybe have decent success. Draft some secondary help and realistic WR1 option (doesn't need to be a 1st round draft pick superstar) and the Rams would be in great shape.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Redskins will release Robert Griffin III this offseason. This is not exactly breaking news. Washington was never going to pay Griffin's $16.155 million, fifth-year option, and Griffin was not going to restructure his deal just to spend another season sitting behind Kirk Cousins. It is just a matter of time. The interesting part of the report is Rapoport's assertion that owner Daniel Snyder forced GM Scot McCloughan and coach Jay Gruden to keep Griffin on the roster all season. Even with a great personnel man and a good coach, Snyder cannot stop meddling. Griffin should reemerge in a quarterback battle or as a high-profile backup next season.

Zee

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999

yeah i put luck up there to about matt ryan level.