Andrew Luck vs RG3

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

When all is said and done when they retire, who do you think will be deemed the bette

• Luck

• RG3

• Russell Wilson

Results are only viewable after voting.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Ought to create a new thread and poll if he gets released asking the question "Which team will pick up RG3 from waivers." Thinking he wouldn't fall past the Jets, which is a very fitting place for him to be. One more act for their circus.

IMO, I'd say these are the possible landing places:

Most likely:
Jets, Texans, Cleveland, and possibly Arizona (though they might go in the next tier)

Next tier:
Buffalo, 49ers, Eagles (Chip loves new toys), Dallas (Jerry loves attention and projects)

Longshots:
Bears, Rams

I've heard talk of Seattle and Green Bay but those make no sense to me. Of course, if he signs for the league minimum, I suppose he could be in play almost anywhere. New Orleans wouldn't surprise me as a landing spot either, as he could sit behind Brees for a few years and then take over. It is pretty shocking not to see the Raiders in a list like this for once, isn't it? :D And yeah, for the record, I hope he lands with the Rams for maximum lulz.

Last edited:

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
IMO, I'd say these are the possible landing places:

Most likely:
Jets, Texans, Cleveland, and possibly Arizona (though they might go in the next tier)

Next tier:
Buffalo, 49ers, Eagles (Chip loves new toys), Dallas (Jerry loves attention and projects)

Longshots:
Bears, Rams

I've heard talk of Seattle and Green Bay but those make no sense to me. Of course, if he signs for the league minimum, I suppose he could be in play almost anywhere. New Orleans wouldn't surprise me as a landing spot either, as he could sit behind Brees for a few years and then take over. It is pretty shocking not to see the Raiders in a list like this for once, isn't it? :D And yeah, for the record, I hope he lands with the Rams for maximum lulz.

I'd disagree. The only reason I would is that BA (Bruce Arians) likes Pocket Passing QBs. As you've clearly demonstrated by your earlier posts, RG3 does not fit that mold.

BA loves projects though (see Logan Thomas) and it wouldn't be a HUGE shock if RG3 is released, that we try to go after RG3. Carson Palmer won't last forever (rest of the season>) and having someone like RG3 instead of Drew Stanton or Logan THomas (shudder) sitting in the wings sounds a lot better.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'd disagree. The only reason I would is that BA (Bruce Arians) likes Pocket Passing QBs. As you've clearly demonstrated by your earlier posts, RG3 does not fit that mold.

BA loves projects though (see Logan Thomas) and it wouldn't be a HUGE shock if RG3 is released, that we try to go after RG3. Carson Palmer won't last forever (rest of the season>) and having someone like RG3 instead of Drew Stanton or Logan THomas (shudder) sitting in the wings sounds a lot better.

Yeah, that's why I think he might end up in Arizona -- Palmer will inevitably go down sometime this season. Otherwise I don't think Arians would consider him.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Yeah, that's why I think he might end up in Arizona -- Palmer will inevitably go down sometime this season. Otherwise I don't think Arians would consider him.

Palmer himself said Arians offense is very complex and he was having trouble digesting it. No way RG3 does well with him

Phoenix86

Lifer
May 21, 2003
Explain. Without being a dick.

He has little trade value regardless of anything they say about him. He needs development work at a minimum. More likely, he's a bust.

He's too expensive to have on the roster as a development spot. If he get injured he can't be traded or cut. They pretty much have to cut him, it's just a mater of timing.

Even practicing him could cost millions if he gets injured.

RG3s best option right now would be to restructure his contract so he's "worth trying to develop" on another team.

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007

Or he reverts into old (young?) CP and throws 10 billion INTs.

We've significantly over-achieved since BA has come here and while it is impressive, the stubborness of BA not putting more effort into finding a better long term QB than Drew Stanton or Logan Thomas and a better long term RB, cause Andre Ellington is NOT the fucking answer, irritates the shit out of me.

Bidwills still being the Bidwills. At least we signed Fitz for seemingly rest of his career. :rolleyes:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Or he reverts into old (young?) CP and throws 10 billion INTs.

We've significantly over-achieved since BA has come here and while it is impressive, the stubborness of BA not putting more effort into finding a better long term QB than Drew Stanton or Logan Thomas and a better long term RB, cause Andre Ellington is NOT the fucking answer, irritates the shit out of me.

Bidwills still being the Bidwills. At least we signed Fitz for seemingly rest of his career. :rolleyes:

BA is an amazing coach. I wasn't a big fan during his first stint in Indy when Manning was a rookie but he was certainly awesome the second time around. I bet the Bears are kicking themselves for not picking him.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Sounds like it has gone nuclear among the fans, and expectation is that he'll be cut shortly after he is finally cleared as no one expecting a trade to go through.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

i don't see him going to arizona. i see jets or houston.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
I'm certain you are confusing what's good for everyone else with what's good for RG3.

what's good for rg3 is to retire and focus on being a dad with the millions he has.

he's got 3 concussions under his belt; the last thing he needs is another and increase his risk of mental health issues down the road.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
if he goes anywhere, i'd like to see him go to a team with a quality rehab/prehab program, like the eagles, seahawks, or rams and an offense that can incorporate his style of play rather than forcing him to change completely to something else. people keep saying the read option doesn't work and that defenses have caught up... it seems to work, still, for the seahawks. it seems to still work for the 49ers. i don't think that it can't work or doesn't work, i think it can and does when you incorporate it in with a style of offense that embraces it and throws it in the mix.

the way i feel is that the falcons, 49ers, jets, texans, and seahawks are teams that can potentially be well-suited for that. however, of those, i think the jets and texans are the only teams who could be interested.

cue purbeast...
angry-blogger.jpg

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
if he goes anywhere, i'd like to see him go to a team with a quality rehab/prehab program, like the eagles, seahawks, or rams and an offense that can incorporate his style of play rather than forcing him to change completely to something else. people keep saying the read option doesn't work and that defenses have caught up... it seems to work, still, for the seahawks. it seems to still work for the 49ers. i don't think that it can't work or doesn't work, i think it can and does when you incorporate it in with a style of offense that embraces it and throws it in the mix.

the way i feel is that the falcons, 49ers, jets, texans, and seahawks are teams that can potentially be well-suited for that. however, of those, i think the jets and texans are the only teams who could be interested.

cue purbeast...
angry-blogger.jpg

Yeah, I think there is a good chance by this time next week, he could be on another team. I'd guess the Texans if I had to pick one right now. Don't rule the Cowboys out either.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

cue purbeast...
angry-blogger.jpg

not gonna blast you for your opinion about where he would fit in, that's completely up for debate and can't really be backed by any facts.

but about the bold ... did you completely miss the memo that rg3 (and his dad) flat out told shanahan that he did not want to run that type of offense and that he won't, and that he would only run a traditional style of offense?

serious question.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Yeah, I think there is a good chance by this time next week, he could be on another team. I'd guess the Texans if I had to pick one right now. Don't rule the Cowboys out either.

It wouldn't be strange if the Cowboys pick him up. I mean, he is "from Texas" and went to a Texas college. He will sell jerseys. And, he can't possibly be worse than Weeden if Romo goes down.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
not gonna blast you for your opinion about where he would fit in, that's completely up for debate and can't really be backed by any facts.

but about the bold ... did you completely miss the memo that rg3 (and his dad) flat out told shanahan that he did not want to run that type of offense and that he won't, and that he would only run a traditional style of offense?

serious question.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/robert-griffin-iii-wants-play-pro-style-offense-204506917--nfl.html

You talking about this?

Here's how I figure it: RG3's style of play is what it is, which favors a read-option-style of play. It's what he's best at, regardless of what he wants.

As far as I'm concerned, RG3 looked comfortable inside the pocket before his linemen stopped blocking for him or he called a bad coverage. Great pocket passers can, in the background of their brain, know the defense is coming and knows they're nearby while still being able to scan the field to deliver the ball effectively, while moving around in the pocket to avoid getting hit, hurried, or sacked. He isn't great, but he definitely has improved and looked good and on the way toward continued improvement (I'm obviously referencing the first preseason game). The second game, however, looked like hell, and I am not convinced it was his fault.

The point I was making is that even if he wants to become a stud QB who is a great pocket passer, he has agility, speed, and accuracy that are his natural fall-backs. He may have pushed himself more to be better ever since Steve Young told everyone that coaches are saying he isn't putting in the reps needed to hone in on the skills of being a pocket, drop-back QB first and foremost, I dunno. He certainly looks a ton better than he did last year.

His style of play - his go-to - is the read option. He probably wanted to be more of a pocket passer because he is an insecure guy and, not only will he make the naysayers happy/eat their words, but because people have it in his head that if he keeps running the read, he will get injured more than sitting as a target in the pocket and he wants a healthy and long career in the NFL. I dunno.

I really hope he goes somewhere and goes off, though. Like, totally plays lights out and crushes it. Because, that way, the Redskins will realize that there needs to be a complete restricting from the top-down and start looking at the new school ways of training athletes.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
My team is a shit show...

The organization that's a dumpster fire, not the players. It trickles down and affects the players and ruins careers of capable players. It's a damn shame.

This is why I hope RG3 tears it up if and when he goes to another team; to show that the organization is horrible and the way they manage talent is worthless.

Could you imagine how incredible Trent Williams could be on a quality team? Pffft...

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
yep he's the backup behind cousins.

this is so obviously a dan snyder decision/move.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/robert-griffin-iii-wants-play-pro-style-offense-204506917--nfl.html

You talking about this?

Here's how I figure it: RG3's style of play is what it is, which favors a read-option-style of play. It's what he's best at, regardless of what he wants.

As far as I'm concerned, RG3 looked comfortable inside the pocket before his linemen stopped blocking for him or he called a bad coverage. Great pocket passers can, in the background of their brain, know the defense is coming and knows they're nearby while still being able to scan the field to deliver the ball effectively, while moving around in the pocket to avoid getting hit, hurried, or sacked. He isn't great, but he definitely has improved and looked good and on the way toward continued improvement (I'm obviously referencing the first preseason game). The second game, however, looked like hell, and I am not convinced it was his fault.

The point I was making is that even if he wants to become a stud QB who is a great pocket passer, he has agility, speed, and accuracy that are his natural fall-backs. He may have pushed himself more to be better ever since Steve Young told everyone that coaches are saying he isn't putting in the reps needed to hone in on the skills of being a pocket, drop-back QB first and foremost, I dunno. He certainly looks a ton better than he did last year.

His style of play - his go-to - is the read option. He probably wanted to be more of a pocket passer because he is an insecure guy and, not only will he make the naysayers happy/eat their words, but because people have it in his head that if he keeps running the read, he will get injured more than sitting as a target in the pocket and he wants a healthy and long career in the NFL. I dunno.

I really hope he goes somewhere and goes off, though. Like, totally plays lights out and crushes it. Because, that way, the Redskins will realize that there needs to be a complete restricting from the top-down and start looking at the new school ways of training athletes.

make all the excuses you want. the fact is rg3 has not progressed as an nfl quarterback in 3 years. he has regressed. the fact that you are having to pick and choose which games he looks serviceable in is laughable. if anyone else at any other position was playing as poorly as he is at his, they would simply be cut from the team. that's what happens to half the people on the team before preseason starts - they are cut because they aren't good enough.

according to football experts, he is making highschool level mistakes on a regular basis. think about that for a second.

stop holding onto 2012, it's a distant memory now and he will never play like that again. it's clear he has lost a step in his speed due to the injuries, and his mental game is fucked.

he's not going to go anywhere and light it up. you sound just like the tim tebow apologists. if he was as good as you think he is, teams would have been lined up at redskins park the minute it was announced he was not the starter. but there has been absolutely no interest in him from other teams. but i'm sure you know more than the 31 other nfl teams do about how good rg3 is.

it's painfully obvious the only reason he is even around right now is because snyder is in love with him.

Mar 11, 2004

cue purbeast...
angry-blogger.jpg

The Seahawks don't use that much read option do they? And citing the 49ers, well, that's just weird, since they're trying to see how quickly they can take a very good situation and turn it into a Snyder level dumpster bonfire in as short of time as possible.

Still blows my mind about them dumping Harbaugh. Seems like he was doing an amazing job of holding together a team that had serious fucking issues.

Actually that brings up a point. RGIII's best hope would be to emulate Alex Smith. He's got the physical tools to accomplish that (and actually be better I think), and he's a smart guy, but I don't know if he has the attitude (which, if you go by how Smith is, basically is none at all). Smith would be a great tutor for Griffin, learn humility and how to play and then let his intuition and physical talents take over on the field. I personally would've loved seeing RGIII go to the Chiefs as Smith's backup. Small market team so the media wouldn't be as fervent, a good coach with a history of taking chances on guys (and Reid has a ton of consultants, including the guy that invented the read option) to help him along, a good situation.

I think the Eagles would be another good situation. I'm not sold on Bradford (hope he can maybe live up to the potential though), and Kelly will go with whomever helps them win.

I think the next step for read option is to basically find 2+ players who are just great all around playmakers. Guys that could play QB, RB, WR, and then have as many of them as you can, and whichever one is hot that game, then get them the ball as much as possible. But keep switching things up so that other teams can't get too comfortable. Not only that, but a decent amount of these guys could benefit from not having all the pressure on the, especially early on their careers. I actually think a team could make a good racket out of that. Like Chip Kelly where he'll always be drafting guys, then develop them and get good play out of them while they're young and cheap, then is willing to part with them (and the player can go elsewhere and get a big pay day and get to be the man for that team at QB).