And in other news - Fed Agencies to Share Citizenship Data with Census

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Except districts are drawn on the basis of population, not immigration status of residents. It's always been that way.

Of course. And legal immigrants are part of that population. Whats point are you making that I havent already?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Your post contains so many false claims and red herrings I almost dont know if this is the right thread to post it in. Cally on with you exclamation points and faux outrage though.
Yeah right.....says the Trump supportyer...or shall we say says the person who is convinced that it is OK to put a Immigration status question on the census....so sad!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Of course. And legal immigrants are part of that population. Whats point are you making that I havent already?
You are o0n a rool today......Trumps administration including ICE and Homeland Security have already attempted to deport LEGAL immigrants.....are you so dense that you cannot see what is the problem with that question?? OH...I get it -- it doesn`t affect you so you really don`t care how many legal immigrants are targeted because hey they are of a different skin color...

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
So youre saying that choosing a mate and choosing to have a family with that person is the same as a hire. You got the dumbest post out of the way early today congrats. Must be a bot.
It must hurt to be in a state of perpetual BUTT HURT!!! You need an ambulance?? Perhaps a 911 call??

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You are o0n a rool today......Trumps administration including ICE and Homeland Security have already attempted to deport LEGAL immigrants.....are you so dense that you cannot see what is the problem with that question?? OH...I get it -- it doesn`t affect you so you really don`t care how many legal immigrants are targeted because hey they are of a different skin color...

Which has NOTHING to do with what I said.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's not quite what you said before-

I dont see the outrage with this. The US govt has the right to know who here is a citizen, green card holders (3 or 10 year), and visas. since only citizens can vote, it would be helpful in areas with a large amount of green card holders for representation considerations.

Representation is based on all residents regardless of immigration status.. It's Constitutional. No other considerations apply.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
That's not quite what you said before-

Representation is based on all residents regardless of immigration status.. It's Constitutional. No other considerations apply.

Thats exactly what I said, Jhhnn....

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Thats exactly what I said, Jhhnn....
No, you said "Of course. And legal immigrants are part of that population. Whats point are you making that I havent already? " The point is Illegal immigrants need to be counted as well as the legal one for representation of the population. You have no mention of them needing to be counted.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
No, you said "Of course. And legal immigrants are part of that population. Whats point are you making that I havent already? " The point is Illegal immigrants need to be counted as well as the legal one for representation of the population. You have no mention of them needing to be counted.

Youre right. So...other than having census workers go door to door, how would they know the numbers? Or is it the opinion all you need is numbers and nothing else?

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Youre right. So...other than having census workers go door to door, how would they know the numbers? Or is it the opinion all you need is numbers and nothing else?
Simple, you don't have Homeland Security releasing citizenship data based on existing records to the Census like Trump's executive order is doing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

I suspect you're being deliberately obtuse. The primary purpose of the census is to count everybody. In order to include as many people as possible we have to convince them that the information won't be used against them. We don't want anybody to not participate believing they'll rat themselves out to La Migra in doing so. It defies knowing the truth to convince them that it will, which is entirely what the GOP wants. Truth isn't truth in Trumplandia. It's just whatever they want to make it.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Obama did it pretty well.

Exactly! Now you can see why trumps need to use the census and other techniques to suppress an accurate account is bull shit. I’m glad you understand this and aren’t some trump dick sucker who is fine with violating the constitution because he’s on your team.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I suspect you're being deliberately obtuse. The primary purpose of the census is to count everybody. In order to include as many people as possible we have to convince them that the information won't be used against them. We don't want anybody to not participate believing they'll rat themselves out to La Migra in doing so. It defies knowing the truth to convince them that it will, which is entirely what the GOP wants. Truth isn't truth in Trumplandia. It's just whatever they want to make it.

Speaking of obtuse...you forgot to list the second purpose of the census:

One purpose of the census is to divide the house seats by population. Furthermore, as with any Census Bureau survey the data provides a beginning for allocation of resources. In addition, collected data are used in aggregate for statistical purposes

Oh and this:

]Why We Conduct the Decennial Census
...A census aims to count the entire population of a country, and at the location where each person usually lives. (citizen, visa/greencard holder, illegal. ALL Emphasis mine.)

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Exactly! Now you can see why trumps need to use the census and other techniques to suppress an accurate account is bull shit. I’m glad you understand this and aren’t some trump dick sucker who is fine with violating the constitution because he’s on your team.

First, Obama didnt need to use the census, and neither does Trump. But the census is to count EVERYONE. Legal or not.

And second, Trump isnt on my team. I didnt vote him in 2016 and I wont likely vote for him in 2020.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So what? Discouraging participation by any group runs counter to all those goals.

How is asking immigration status discouraging? Shit man people can participate over a phone if they want. But statistics are important for a variety of reason so we need accurate numbers. not sure why you would disagree with that other than the tin foil conspiracy that Trump will use that data to expel people from the USA which is nothing but a made up...conspiracy.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
How is asking immigration status discouraging? Shit man people can participate over a phone if they want. But statistics are important for a variety of reason so we need accurate numbers. not sure why you would disagree with that other than the tin foil conspiracy that Trump will use that data to expel people from the USA which is nothing but a made up...conspiracy.

So dishonest. It doesn't matter whether the information will be used against them or not. What matters is that they won't participate if they think it might be. Which is obviously the impression the GOP is trying to create.

It's all based on circular lies. The commerce dept says it's because Justice wanted it. But first they asked Justice to give them a reason, no matter how lame it might be. Then they lied to the courts about what actually transpired. Roberts called them on their bullshit in the majority opinion on the case.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Obama did it pretty well.

See, this is one more place where the right and left differ.

It's like because the right think their GOP leaders can do no wrong and will defend them to their dying breath (often hypocritically), they think the left will do the same for liberal leaders. For example, yeah, Obama bombed the shit out of countries like Trump has done/is doing. That doesn't mean all of us approved or promoted it when Obama did it. Get the fuck out of here with your whataboutisms and false equivalencies.