[AnandTech] Club3D Releases Their DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Adapter

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I see it out of stock everywhere. Anyone know where it's in stock?

Either demand is higher, or they had very very little supply.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Supply is ultra low. It should be somewhat easy to get as time goes. But it can take months still.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
I have a 3x1080p set up I use for gaming on 2x290. But recently I have a 4k TV in the house too, I might pick one of these up and use my brother's steam controller and do a little couch gaming at 4k just to see what its like.

2 x used 290 @$175 + $30 adapter is still significantly less expensive than a used 980 ti (if you can even find one)

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
You may not get it to work with 290. So be warned :|

Oh look, let's just to conclusions, it cannot possibly be the case that one 290 had a faulty DP or that one cable was faulty or that a particular AIB's 290s won't work? No, no, let's start the fear mongering warnings about 290s...

"Finally 60hz on my Samsung TV with my R9 290x. I did have to change my display properties to 60hz( it wasn't automatic) but it works and it works great!"

" bought this adapter to use specially with my LG 43UF6430 4K TV and my R9 290 card. I'm happy to say that it works perfectly. I did have to reboot my system once for it to work properly, and I do have the latest Crimson drivers. I can also confirm that I am running 4K 60hz with 4:4:4 chroma."

"I have the cards got it from another vendor I have a r9 290 and it works @ 60hz"

"I can confirm this also. I have an R9 290 and this adapter and I can get 4K at 60hz no problem"

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1C18R...-glance&nodeID=541966&store=pc#wasThisHelpful

As with all adapters, there will always be cases when certain GPUs with certain BIOS will not work with certain TVs having certain firmware. this is because it's impossible for the adapter manufacturer to test 10,000 combinations.

With DP 1.3, HDMI 2.0a, HDR only working on R9 300 and later per AMD's own presentation, HDR TVs & monitors being the next big thing, next gen GPUs having better support for H.265/VP9, 2X the improvement in perf/watt, etc. and very few of the current gen GPUs other than 980Ti/Fury X having enough power to run 4K games, 4K BluRay still in its infancy, 4K content still limited in quantity (streamed 4K content is too compressed making it not a real 4K signal), the HDMI 2.0 support was always overblown to begin with.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Yes, it works for everyone. Never any errors. And it was tested on 2 cards due to having CF. Assuming error was on 1.

You forgot to mention 1 user on Amazon didn't get it to work. So pack your attitude away.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Well guys I will let you know later tonight.

I ordered one on the 27th, shipped on the 6th and should arrive by the time I get home from work today. I know I had issues setting a custom resolution for 1080p 120hz so we'll see how 4k 60hz go.

I also have an XFX R9 290 and I bought this HDMI 2.0 cable. Will be using it with the Sony XBR-55X850C.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R45XHIQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A2NQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01

I have all your bases covered :D.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Yes, it works for everyone. Never any errors.

No one said anything of the sort. Don't twist my post. You also failed to mention how sometimes the component that is not compatible could be the HDMI 2.0 cable, rather than the adapter per the OP:

"Works at 4K/60hz with a Gigabyte GTX 970G1 connected to a Samsung HU658550 UHD TV. This replaced a Mediabridge 25' HDMI that did not work at 4K/60. Returned it."

Well guys I will let you know later tonight.

I ordered one on the 27th, shipped on the 6th and should arrive by the time I get home from work today. I know I had issues setting a custom resolution for 1080p 120hz so we'll see how 4k 60hz go.

I also have an XFX R9 290 and I bought this HDMI 2.0 cable. Will be using it with the Sony XBR-55X850C.

Ya, you might need to manually adjust from 30Hz to 60Hz in the Crimson drivers.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Reporting live!

Plug and play it worked. 60hz at 4k resolution. Now I just have to figure out how to fix my sides being cut off...

EDIT: Okay not perfect. Experienced some black screen flickering. Like the input was rereading. Im not sure if that's the same flickering other people are experiencing.

Also WoW freaks out when you run it in a lower resolution. I was able to get the game running smoothly at 4k res, ultra settings, but no AA. Don't really need it with 4k anyways.

EDIT2: Flickering is getting kinda bad. It's on and off. Sometimes it happens 4-5 time in a row. Then it will work for 30 minutes straight so I don't know....

Edges being cut off is an issue with my TV which I can't seem to figure out yet. Uff technology..

Last edited:

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
Plug and play it worked. 60hz at 4k resolution. Now I just have to figure out how to fix my sides being cut off...

EDIT: Okay not perfect. Experienced some black screen flickering. Like the input was rereading. Im not sure if that's the same flickering other people are experiencing.

I think you have similar problem with this.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2456115

Your Driver is Catalyst or Crismon ?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Adapters tend to be a crapshoot.

That's why they are almost never the preferred solution.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I think you have similar problem with this.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2456115

Your Driver is Catalyst or Crismon ?

Crimson. My flicker is different. It's more of the input is lost and gets reconnected. So black screen then signal, 4k or 1080p. I think it has to be the adapter cause direct HDMI to my TV is fine.

I'm getting my TV switched out Monday for a dead pixel. I doubt it'll make a difference but we'll see. Otherwise I'll try exchanging the adapter.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Adapters tend to be a crapshoot.

That's why they are almost never the preferred solution.

This. Heck in my long career of IT I even had problems with much simpler adapters "hurting" connectivity/signals. Those who get this hundred Mhz back and forth wonder to work properly should feel lucky.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
My guess is the adapter itself would not be the issue as long as it follows standards. Problem is the variations exist between monitors, TVs, video cards. A solution may not be universal as a result.

unless its tested with multiple products with the same result you can't say for sure. eg. is the flickering because your TV cheaped out or is it really the adapter that's not up to standard.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Could be related to the cable used as well, even though cables shouldnt factor in much in the digital age I've had various problems solved by merely changing cables.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
My guess is the adapter itself would not be the issue as long as it follows standards. Problem is the variations exist between monitors, TVs, video cards. A solution may not be universal as a result.

unless its tested with multiple products with the same result you can't say for sure. eg. is the flickering because your TV cheaped out or is it really the adapter that's not up to standard.

Actually got a replacement TV because of a dead pixel. I'll report if it makes any difference.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Update//

Received a new cable from Amazon and sent the old one back. I fiddled with the old one a little bit and I think the cables are sensitive to bending and maybe heat. Mine was bent up a little and the heat was blowing from the video card. The loss of signal happened often when the card was on full load.

New cable arrived and so far yesterday everything seemed to be going good. However, I am still running 1080p 60hz because my Sony HDTV not allow 1:1 pixel mapping from an HDMI port. I'm stuck at +1 mapping which causes overscanning and my edges to cut off. Also AMD drivers for some reason will not allow me to adjust overscanning options while in DisplayPort sooo all of this was pretty much for nothing.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Sorry to hear.

Hopefully AMD adds it to their drivers. Seems overscan control is there on Intel and NVidia for DP.

Else you need a new card with HDMI 2.0.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
Well then, the answer would be to set your desktop to a 60hz resolution.

I don't get the spin here, it seems here people are "spinning" the true purpose of a displayport to HDMI 2.0 adaptor.

From what I read, it's always been to address the limitations of lack of HDMI 2.0 on AMD cards, hence why AMD themselves touted them upon Fury X's release.

There are no 4k streaming content for PC's. And won't be for a while. All 4k content are locked for specific tv and other hardware models. You can read the reasoning behind this here:
http://www.techhive.com/article/285...n-a-pc-or-mac-even-though-theyre-capable.html

When UHD Blu Rays are out, you'll need HDCP 2.2 devices. I don't believe you can stick a UHD blu ray on a PC and run it (at least not for a while).

Yes, graphics cards (Nvidia at the moment) are HDMI 2.0 compliant, but it's for gaming. Just like this converter is for, to allow you to game at > 30fps at 4k.

Spinning this for 4k PC media content, when non-exists, seems a bit absurd. Maybe if you're into making your own home-made movies, this would make sense.

Youtube has 4k content streaming...AFAIK, i tested it on my 4k

NomanA

May 15, 2014
Crimson. My flicker is different. It's more of the input is lost and gets reconnected. So black screen then signal, 4k or 1080p. I think it has to be the adapter cause direct HDMI to my TV is fine.

It could still be cable, since you aren't running 4k @60Hz over direct HDMI. It's hard to isolate the issue.

[edit: Saw your subsequent post, where the new cable worked without flicker. Hopefully you'll resolve the overscan issue]

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Very interesting thread. Hopefully, these adapters will be plentiful, cheap, and fully debugged / supported by drivers, by the time I'm ready to move to 4K UHD.

Currently have some 7950 3GB video cards, those advertised 4K support on the box, but they have DP connectors of course, no native HDMI2.0.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Update//

Received a new cable from Amazon and sent the old one back. I fiddled with the old one a little bit and I think the cables are sensitive to bending and maybe heat. Mine was bent up a little and the heat was blowing from the video card. The loss of signal happened often when the card was on full load.

New cable arrived and so far yesterday everything seemed to be going good. However, I am still running 1080p 60hz because my Sony HDTV not allow 1:1 pixel mapping from an HDMI port. I'm stuck at +1 mapping which causes overscanning and my edges to cut off. Also AMD drivers for some reason will not allow me to adjust overscanning options while in DisplayPort sooo all of this was pretty much for nothing.

have you done a google search on this? One solution for a user was to change TV zoom from auto. Could check windows settings for options etc.

Last edited: