[AnandTech] Club3D Releases Their DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Adapter

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Finally here. end of the hdmi 2.0 crying.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9867/club3d-releases-dp12-to-hdmi-20-adapter

works as passive would since display port carries some power.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194F1MY4

And that brings us to Club3D's DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter, the first such full HDMI 2.0 adapter to reach the market. Club3D's adapter should allow any DP 1.2 port to be turned into an HDMI 2.0 port with full support for 4K60p with full image quality 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. After the releases of pseudo-HDMI 2.0 adapters over the last several months, this is finally the real McCoy for HDMI 2.0 adapters.

The key here today is that unlike those early pseudo-2.0 adapters, Club3D's adapter finally enables full HDMI 2.0 support with video cards that don't support native HDMI 2.0. This includes AMD's entire lineup, pre-Maxwell 2 NVIDIA cards, and Intel-based systems with a DisplayPort but not an HDMI 2.0 LS-Pcon. In fact, AMD explicitly stated support for DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 dongles in their recent driver update, paving the way to using this adapter with their cards.

While we're covering the specifications, it also bears mentioning that Club3D's adapter also supports HDCP 2.2. Though as HDCP 2.2 is an end-to-end standard this means that the host video card still needs to support HDCP 2.2 to begin with, as Club3D's adapter simply operates as a repeater. As a result compatibility with 4K content on older cards will be hit and miss, as services like Netflix require HDCP 2.2 for their 4K content.

Finally, Club3D will be offering two versions of the adapter: a full size DisplayPort version that should work with most desktop video cards, and a Mini DisplayPort version for laptops and all other video cards. And with a roughly $30 asking price listed today it is an attractive option when it is otherwise unreasonable to replace a video card with one that provides HDMI 2.0 in its place.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
You read it here first. When a product doesn't have a feature/function you want, you're just complaining/whining.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It seems by the specs that there is no 30bit support. Just a small warning for any wanting that.

The powered by USB is odd. I assume its a leftover from a previous product presentation.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Actually it's active (there's a chip in the cable actively converting the signal). It just doesn't require external power since the power supplied by DP is enough.

that's what I said? ? ?

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Actually it's active (there's a chip in the cable actively converting the signal). It just doesn't require external power since the power supplied by DP is enough.

that's what I said? ? ?

but it is effectively going to function as a passive converter would. Not extra hassle.

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
So, is anything actually available now? All I've been reading about the last 6 months or so are just announcements and press releases.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
So, is anything actually available now? All I've been reading about the last 6 months or so are just announcements and press releases.

January/February it seems. Retailers have started to list it. But with no delivery dates.

Azix

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2014
Well, you're effectively raising the price of AMD cards by $30 if AMD users want to game at 4k 60hz on a HTPC. Not a spin, fact.

considering the cost of some of these TVs and people using cables that cost more than this converter. meh.

This is also not just about AMD. notice intel and nvidia were mentioned. both have GPUs that do not have hdmi 2.0 native. This opens it up to everybody with display port 1.2 Does this not mean you don't even need a dedicated GPU? Intel APU or AMD APU would be fine for a tiny HTPC and 60hz 4K. You save even more over a dedicated GPU then. unless there is a $30 hdmi 2.0 GPU out there

Last edited:

TestKing123

Sep 9, 2007
considering the cost of some of these TVs and people using cables that cost more than this converter. meh.

This is also not just about AMD. notice intel and nvidia were mentioned. both have GPUs that do not have hdmi 2.0 native. This opens it up to everybody with display port 1.2 Does this not mean you don't even need a dedicated GPU? Intel APU or AMD APU would be fine for a tiny HTPC and 60hz 4K. You save even more over a dedicated GPU then. unless there is a $30 hdmi 2.0 GPU out there

This doesn't make sense.

Is there an Intel APU that can drive a game at 4k 60hz? If so, please link to benchmark.

In addition, what AMD APU would be fine for a tiny HTPC AND 4k 60hz? Please link to benchmark.

I hope you're not confusing the TV's native 60hz refresh with what is pushed by the GPU/APU.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
This doesn't make sense.

Is there an Intel APU that can drive a game at 4k 60hz? If so, please link to benchmark.

In addition, what AMD APU would be fine for a tiny HTPC AND 4k 60hz? Please link to benchmark.

I hope you're not confusing the TV's native 60hz refresh with what is pushed by the GPU/APU.

I don't imagine most people are trying to run FO4 or TW3 on a 4k TV using their HTPC. Based on my use case and I imagine many other people's, I use my HTPC for home theater.