American Soldier Death Count In Iraq Almost @ 4,000

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

keird

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: ultra laser
My lack of pity has nothing to do with patriotism. When you voluntarily engage in dangerous activities, like base jumping, cooking meth, or joining the military, you should be ready to face the consequences of your decision. If dying is not for you, then simply do something more safe. This is the 'freedom' we're so enamored about, is it not?

Within the Freedom of Speech, there?s an inherent responsibility to use it wisely. Personally, I don?t think that?s emphasized enough.

p.s. Use your 'privilege' to drive, wisely.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Exterous
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: manowar821
And yet, a good reason for the invasion has yet to surface.

We had a good reason, and it turned out wrong.

We had more than one good reason. 27,000,000 free Iraqis are worth 4,000 American lives.

27,000,000 free Iraqi's aren't worth ONE SINGLE AMERICAN LIFE.

If YOU think they're so valuable, why aren't YOU over there giving yours for them?

(or are you just another of the chickenhawk brigade?)
If freedom was so cherished by those 27,000,000 Iraqi why didn't they revolt against Hussein instead of letting us take him out for them?

They died when he used chemical weapons on them? (Revolt of 1987-1988)
They were a small percentage of the 27 Mil and they were easily defeated. If it would have been a nation wide revolt they would have been able to overthrow Hussien.

What about a revolt that took control of 14 of the countries 18 provinces? Does that count as nation wide?

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I have no pity for dead soldiers. They signed up for it. Their choice was to risk their lives in a foreign country.

1. It's not dead soldiers that you have pity for (they're dead after all, why do they need your pity?), it's their families. Your statement just shows you to be a cold hearted prick.

2. Soldiers don't join up to die. They join up to serve their country, get an education, get out of their sh!tty life, see new places, self-growth, or other reasons.

Personally, I don't have sympathy for soldiers who whine about having to get deployed. You volunteered after all (note that I'm in the Army). However, to say that dead soldiers "signed up for it" is just asanine.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
I have no pity for dead soldiers. They signed up for it. Their choice was to risk their lives in a foreign country.
I'd pity you, but it looks like you're pitiful enough already...

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Corbett
As the media and some here on P&N await anxiously for the US Soldier death count to exceed 4,000; I thought it was interesting to view the death counts of other wars to put them in persepctive. Yeah yeah, I know what many of you will say. "1 death is too many" And you are right! But that doesn't change the fact that the Iraq war has produced fewer American Soldiers' deaths than many of the wars before it.

Iraq War (5 years)-- 3,990
Batan Death March (one week)-- 10,000
Battle of Guadalcanal (186 days)-- 7,099
Battle of Guam (20 Days)-- 3,000
Operation Market Garden (9 days)-- 3,664
Battle of the Bulge (41 days)-- 19,276
Battle of Iwo Jima (39 days)-- 6,821
Battle of Pusan Perimeter (61 days-Korea)-- 6,706

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot....iraq-versus-major.html

Let me guess, you never served in the military and none your loved ones have been wounded or died in Iraq?

Right?

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001

We had more than one good reason. 27,000,000 free Iraqis are worth 4,000 American lives.

If YOU think they're so valuable, why aren't YOU over there giving yours for them?

If freedom was so cherished by those 27,000,000 Iraqi why didn't they revolt against Hussein instead of letting us take him out for them?

You guys throw around freedom like any of you know what it means to be actually be free.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I count among my friends or should I say former friends, many ex soldiers who have died in the line of duty. And I still have many friends that have served in mainly the Vietnam conflict who had the good fortune to survive. I know few Vietnam survivors who were not changed by their experience and few who are not angry about being duped by the politicians . But I know few that were per say ashamed of their service to this nation.

There are always a few rotten apples in every barrel, but the fault is not with the American soldier who seems to always get the blame in our failed wars lately. There should be a special place in hell for the likes of LBJ, Nixon, and GWB. We need to blame the politicians not the soldiers. Our soldiers are just trying to make the best of a bad situation. And are given few tools to do it with when the currency is uften winning hearts and minds.

I see no contradiction in supporting our troops and not supporting our commander and thief.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Azn

You guys throw around freedom like any of you know what it means to be actually be free.

According to some, rampaging through the streets and stealing everything that can be carried is "Freedom". Although they'd crack down on that swiftly and really hard if it happened in their neighbourhoods.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Today, we passed the deaths of 4,000 American troops in Iraq, a new benchmark for George W. Bush, a LYING, MURDERING, TORTURING TRAITOR. He and his entire adminstration should be tried and convicted for their crimes and sentenced to spend the rest of their ugly, useless lives in a dark, dank cell at Guantanamo.
rose.gif
:(
rose.gif

Firebot

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Harvey
Today, we passed the deaths of 4,000 American troops in Iraq, a new benchmark for George W. Bush, a LYING, MURDERING, TORTURING TRAITOR. He and his entire adminstration should be tried and convicted for their crimes and sentenced to spend the rest of their ugly, useless lives in a dark, dank cell at Guantanamo.
rose.gif
:(
rose.gif

It's alright. According to Corbett we have plenty of American deaths that we can lose based on previous war numbers. We have room to throw away at least another 6000 American lives before we should start to worry so it's all good.

imported_Lathspell

Mar 26, 2008
It's not about how many deaths there were in what amount of time. I'm actually surprised you could even say that. Keep in account that this war, lasting 5 years, cost America 4000 lives for a rather selfish reason. What was the main reason USA went to Iraq? Officially, to end Saddam's reign, if my facts aren't wrong. But unofficially, no matter if you deny it or not, to take control of the natural resources of the country. It wasn't a liberation war, it was a selfish war. Basically those soldiers lives were sold. I don't have a grudge against USA, since my own country has soldiers there supporting them, but it was one of the most useless wars ever, and 4000 casualties, probably even more, is just plain HUGE for a cause such as this. Don't kick me for my opinion.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Siddhartha
Originally posted by: Corbett
As the media and some here on P&N await anxiously for the US Soldier death count to exceed 4,000; I thought it was interesting to view the death counts of other wars to put them in persepctive. Yeah yeah, I know what many of you will say. "1 death is too many" And you are right! But that doesn't change the fact that the Iraq war has produced fewer American Soldiers' deaths than many of the wars before it.

Iraq War (5 years)-- 3,990
Batan Death March (one week)-- 10,000
Battle of Guadalcanal (186 days)-- 7,099
Battle of Guam (20 Days)-- 3,000
Operation Market Garden (9 days)-- 3,664
Battle of the Bulge (41 days)-- 19,276
Battle of Iwo Jima (39 days)-- 6,821
Battle of Pusan Perimeter (61 days-Korea)-- 6,706

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot....iraq-versus-major.html

Let me guess, you never served in the military and none your loved ones have been wounded or died in Iraq?

Right?

What does that have to do with anything?