American Soldier Death Count In Iraq Almost @ 4,000

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
As the media and some here on P&N await anxiously for the US Soldier death count to exceed 4,000; I thought it was interesting to view the death counts of other wars to put them in persepctive. Yeah yeah, I know what many of you will say. "1 death is too many" And you are right! But that doesn't change the fact that the Iraq war has produced fewer American Soldiers' deaths than many of the wars before it.

Iraq War (5 years)-- 3,990
Batan Death March (one week)-- 10,000
Battle of Guadalcanal (186 days)-- 7,099
Battle of Guam (20 Days)-- 3,000
Operation Market Garden (9 days)-- 3,664
Battle of the Bulge (41 days)-- 19,276
Battle of Iwo Jima (39 days)-- 6,821
Battle of Pusan Perimeter (61 days-Korea)-- 6,706

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot....iraq-versus-major.html

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
The difference between this and many is that we elected to start a war where there was no cause. While I am completely sympathetic towards our soldiers, no Iraqi wanted to die in a war in which they were completely innocent. That is also a qualitative difference. In those battles you mention, the US participated against aggressor nations, this time we became the attackers. May they all rest in peace, ours and theirs.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Sure but due to advances in medicine many more soldiers are surviving injuries that would have caused their death in earlier conflicts.

I don't see the point of this thread other than trying to justify continuing this ridiculous war.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe
Sure but due to advances in medicine many more soldiers are surviving injuries that would have caused their death in earlier conflicts.

I don't see the point of this thread other than trying to justify continuing this ridiculous war.

This has NOTHING to do with justifying it. It has everything to do with putting it in perspective.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Corbett

This has NOTHING to do with justifying it. It has everything to do with putting it in perspective.

Ok, now that it's in perspective can we get out?

It's a low grade conflict, one in which the enemy very rarely will directly engage our troops because they get owned in short order.

I see this as the future of warfare with the US, the truth is that no one, not Russia, not China, not "insert potential adversary here" will want to tangle with the US military in a traditional conflict, it's a losing proposition.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: sandorski
The soldiers appreciate your support!

:confused:

exactly

Yes, most of your posts are confusing, I will agree. Obviously you have nothing constructive to say so please thread crap somewhere else.

You can't thread crap a crap thread. It's just not possible. You think my posts are confusing, re-read your OP and tell me WTF kinda point are you trying to make? Are those 4k Deaths worth it because the number is significantly lower? Are they worth it compared to those much more important and justifiable Wars? Just what kind of criteria do you make your judgments with?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
As the media and some here on P&N await anxiously for the US Soldier death count to exceed 4,000; I thought it was interesting to view the death counts of other wars to put them in perspective. Yeah yeah, I know what many of you will say. "1 death is too many" And you are right! But that doesn't change the fact that
the Iraq war has produced fewer American Soldiers' deaths than many of the wars before it.
Unlike the other battles/wars you listed Iraq wasn't in defense of our country and the deaths of American soldiers in Iraq were so unnecessary. So you keep on trying to defend the indefensible because the horse you choose turned out to be lame, we all know it's bullshit.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com

exactly

Yes, most of your posts are confusing, I will agree. Obviously you have nothing constructive to say so please thread crap somewhere else.

You can't thread crap a crap thread. It's just not possible. You think my posts are confusing, re-read your OP and tell me WTF kinda point are you trying to make? Are those 4k Deaths worth it because the number is significantly lower? Are they worth it compared to those much more important and justifiable Wars? Just what kind of criteria do you make your judgments with?

So someone making a point from the point of view that the # of deaths is low, is useless, then using the same # as a "big" number to make a point would be equally useless right?

Are you saying you wont be jumping all over the 4k threads the day it happens?

"Justifiable war" is an oxymoron.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
9/11 deaths: 2,740

We've managed to kill more Americans than the hijackers did.

If we had not attacked Iraq, does anybody really think terrorists would have killed almost 4,000 Americans by now? I certainly don't. If you just want to go by the numbers, we'd have been better off staying home.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Train

exactly

So someone making a point from the point of view that the # of deaths is low, is useless, then using the same # as a "big" number to make a point would be equally useless right?

Every death in Iraq is a wasted Life. If you think the Iraq War is as important as WW2 or Korea, well I'm not sure what to say then, because that's ridiculous.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
In terms of casualty count per years of war, Iraq is indeed pretty amazingly low. The problem is that it was an unnecessary war, so in terms of unjustified US deaths, it ranks up there at the top with 100% avoidable.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Ayabe put it in perspective. You didn't. He's right. You're wrong.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Who says this is a war? It was a war until we reached Baghdad and the Iraqi government vanished with Saddam. Something like 300 US soldiers died in those first few weeks.

Now its an occupation where there are not supposed to be any deaths. And each and every year, we have lost about 800 US troops killed/year. And here we are at end of year five right on pace with 800/yr. And we must also note for every soldier that dies, there are about 10 that survive with permanent physical and psychological damage. And those 40,000
will wick at least a trillion out of the US budget for long term care when all costs are factored in.

But cheer up, we can look at Iraqi civilian deaths if we want large and shocking numbers. Real low ball estimates are now 150,000 or 30,000/yr. More realistic estimates exceed that by a factor of three or more. And that does not even count the millions forced into exile.

But all is worthwhile when we consider GWB now gets to put war time President on his resume and hang a mission accomplished banners on an aircraft carrier.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com

exactly

Every death in Iraq is a wasted Life.
Thats a pretty sick opinion. I know quite a few people that would likely punch your front teeth in for saying thier friends lives were wasted.
If you think the Iraq War is as important as WW2 or Korea, well I'm not sure what to say then, because that's ridiculous.

WTF difference does the "importance" of a war make in a troops life? American communists thought Korea was an unneccessary war, they didnt attack us right? Not our problem right?

Do you know that the majority of Americans were AGAINST FDR's decision to attack Germany?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

exactly

Every death in Iraq is a wasted Life.
Thats a pretty sick opinion. I know quite a few people that would likely punch your front teeth in for saying thier friends lives were wasted.
If you think the Iraq War is as important as WW2 or Korea, well I'm not sure what to say then, because that's ridiculous.

WTF difference does the "importance" of a war make in a troops life? American communists thought Korea was an unneccessary war, they didnt attack us right? Not our problem right?

Do you know that the majority of Americans were AGAINST FDR's decision to attack Germany?

"Sick opinion"? Ok, whatever. If you want someone to die for a cause, that cause out to be worth dying for. The Iraq War is not such a cause. Sorry, if anyone wants to punch my teeth in for that, give me a second to put an X on my cheek. I gotta tooth that needs removed.

The importance of any War is quite apparent. You really seem to have a poor concept of History, amongst other things. Whether people disagreed with various Wars or not is quite immaterial. I will concede that Korea wasn't near as necessary as WW2, but it was certainly more justifiable than Iraq.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
You really seem to have a poor concept of History, amongst other things.
Are you saying the american people DID support FDR's decision to attack Germany? are you?
Whether people disagreed with various Wars or not is quite immaterial.
quoted for longevity.
I will concede that Korea wasn't near as necessary as WW2, but it was certainly more justifiable than Iraq.

Again, "justifiable war" is an oxymoron.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You really seem to have a poor concept of History, amongst other things.
Are you saying the american people DID support FDR's decision to attack Germany? are you?
Whether people disagreed with various Wars or not is quite immaterial.
quoted for longevity.
I will concede that Korea wasn't near as necessary as WW2, but it was certainly more justifiable than Iraq.

Again, "justifiable war" is an oxymoron.

I'm saying it doesn't matter whether American's wanted to Attack Germany or not. It was simply the Right thing to do. AKA, it was Justified(I know you hate that word, but ah well).

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
So, Train, you don't consider American involvement in the Revolutionary War justified?