American Gladiators on NOW!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
heh, this show cracks me up. maybe just nostalgia and it will fade quickly, but right now, i find it entertaining.

they definitely need to work some kinks out though. from the guy not knowing how to use the gun last nite, to the head butt of the gas line last nite to tonites almost missed gauntlet run infraction. they also gotta get some better galdiators, the men in particular suck in abilities.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Wow that Siene chick just completely schooled the Gladiator on the rings.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
i wonder how long it takes for a whole competition? i mean, how much rest do they get between each round?

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
Mongoose!!!

(This course seems extremely difficult by watching the competitors, but it doesn't really seem so.)

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
Mongoose!!!

(This course seems extremely difficult by watching the competitors, but it doesn't really seem so.)

that's the beauty of this show. you think "man i can totally do that" and when you get to the travelator (wasn't it called the reverse treadmill in the original?) you'll never get through!

and the cargo net - those two were always the downfall of contestants in the eliminator.

Finalnight

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2003
Female Gladiators (except for helga)=teh win.

Why did they use the Sunday Night Football font and graphics theme?
Reminds me of when sony used the Spiderman 2 graphics for the PS3. lol. lazy graphics department

Oh yeah, incase no one posted this:

Crush pics

indamixx99

Golden Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Finalnight

Crush pics

Wow! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They really need to work on tweaking the eliminator though. I think there should be some penalty for falling off the barrel roll like how there is one for falling off the handbike. Maybe the travelator needs to move slower as well because right now it's sad (and hilarious) to see these competitors take like 10 attempts to go up this thing.

Dualist

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2005
I loved every minute of it. I think it's even better than Ninja Warrior.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
Female Gladiators (except for helga)=teh win.

Why did they use the Sunday Night Football font and graphics theme?
Reminds me of when sony used the Spiderman 2 graphics for the PS3. lol. lazy graphics department

Crush pics

:thumbsup:

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The show is cheesy, which is good, but the Gladiators are faux-mean. In the original, I remember them all being dicks all the time. In this, they're more like normal pro-athletes who put game faces on, and then get all cheery and happy afterwards. I like the early version better in that regard. Still, I'll watch more.

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: indamixx99

Crush pics

Wow! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They really need to work on tweaking the eliminator though. I think there should be some penalty for falling off the barrel roll like how there is one for falling off the handbike. Maybe the travelator needs to move slower as well because right now it's sad (and hilarious) to see these competitors take like 10 attempts to go up this thing.

The thing is, if the winners' times on each show have any bearing on elimination/placement in future games, they can't change things and have it remain fair.

I like the fact that the eliminator saps folks. It at least means some strategy may be required to avoid "hitting the wall" by the time they get to the travelator. Plus, the fact that several folks have finished relatively easily and with great times indicates that it's not overly difficult if you've got great stamina or use some strategy to pace yourself.

Overall, probably not as satisfying as the original, but they seem to be getting their stride (first episode was painful to watch). I can tolerate all the interviews, but they're definitely overdoing it and the cheesy smack talk. They could probably have one more event by eliminating most of that. The product placement was a little overwhelming intially, but it seems they've toned that down a little as well, fortunately.

Where's Mike Adamlee? :D

TheTony

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2005
Oh, and the Assault was my favorite event to watch on the original, but it's probably been the least interesting of the events so far (along with Hit and Run). It seems like the contenders just can't figure out how to navigate things and make the most of their weapons. Or maybe it's just slanted too much in favor of the gladiator.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Is it just me or does the eliminator not seem like it should be THAT hard?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: TheTony
Oh, and the Assault was my favorite event to watch on the original, but it's probably been the least interesting of the events so far (along with Hit and Run). It seems like the contenders just can't figure out how to navigate things and make the most of their weapons. Or maybe it's just slanted too much in favor of the gladiator.

I think it is just the 'newness' by both the new contestants and the new gladiators. Look at how badly the gladiators performed on the Ring event and the Joust events (stepping on the other platform). They'll get better the more they compete and practice.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Kev
Is it just me or does the eliminator not seem like it should be THAT hard?

I think so too, but apparently climbing that net is a lot harder than it looks.

If I were in the competition I'd intentionally fall off the barrel and the handbike, to save some time.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i finally got around to watching it last night and i enjoyed it. the way some of them screw up on the travelator makes me wonder if the whole thing is staged (atlast who wins and who doesnt). also them seemed to make it a lot more dramatic than it needs to be. you can't even hear the clinking of the rings on hang tough because they have some metal music playing in the background.

i also think these competitors are pussies compared to the guys in the old show. i remember on the old show when the guys did the handbike, most of them just flew by it. these guys look like they have no clue how to do it and struggle the whole way accross. and the travelator just seems ridiculous. the treadmill looks to be going slower than the one on the old show, AND it has a rope, but I must admit its longer than the one in the old show.

i dunno i think it's entertaining but way too dramatic, and i'm still not convinced that the final outcome is not staged.