AMD's HSA .. when the same on CPUs?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
There already is a DSP on the APU, TrueAudio. The benefit of integrating it with the GPU/APU is that it gets fast access to geometry data so it can accurately calculate sound based on the game world.

sorry

digital signal processor

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Just want to add that the TrueAudio DSP is actually;

Cadence Tensilica's HiFi EP DSP. That "DSP" right there means it is a digital signal processor. Also, not only can it process output it can also process input.

At least AMD'ers have an upgrade path to the HiFi 3 which is ~2x faster than HiFi EP. Not including that you could use the C language with HiFi 3 instead of just assembly with HiFi EP.

There is also a better implementation of the HiFi EP coming soon from Realtek.

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
You might not realise but computer scienctists have been working on this problem since the late 1960's. Some 50 years later it is where it stands now. Everyone wants a silver bullet and its just so easy if we all just started trying harder!

This. So much this. The really smart theoretical computer scientists are the kind of people who I respect the most. That stuff is amazingly difficult conceptually and practically.

pTmdfx

Feb 23, 2014
lower BOM and platform power due to integration a la qualcomm snapdragon...maybe?
Today's SOC integrates only the baseband processor so far, while the RF antenna is still an external module w.r.t. the main SOC. I'm not quite sure why the vendors didn't do so, but I assume it is mostly about the difficulties and divergence in manufacturing these two types of devices into one chip. TSV should be the way to break this barrier down.

Intel had a SOC prototype with integrated RF module one to two years ago, anyway.

Last edited:

pTmdfx

Feb 23, 2014
sorry

seems i was talking about a radio on a chip

the benefits if you integrated a radio into a apu?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-on-a-chip
Hypothetically, the signal processing logic may enjoy the state-of-the-art process technology, and the comm latency between the host and the logic block may be somehow lowered. Yet it all depends on the implementation. Please note that the antenna is, as mentioned, yet to be integrated.

Last edited: