AMD stock up 20% after conference call! (52% in 1 day!)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
~16½% of all AMD shares changed hands today. Quite amazing.

Or rather a substancial amount of shares did disappear due to long term shorts being covered definitly, anyway that was quite a rallye, my own plateform state 18.07% of the shares traded today..

52%. Kicking myself, too.

Now we know that it will be also Zen s average IPC improvement...;)

Last edited:

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
damn im actually depressed. I don't follow many stocks, just my tech stocks which i'm supposed to "specialize" in. lol specialize my ass!!!!! I missed out on THE biggest day trade in AMD's history. Where's the whiskey....

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
I don't know much about playing the stock market game... did so many shares change hands because so many people sold due to the jump in the stock's price? Who are the people who buy when it is high?

"High" is relative. And todays end action might mean, that some gave up waiting for lower prices to get in or cover.
p.php

For the >100 Mio. shorted AMD shares (at least before today) such a dramatic change might cause some trouble, not only hit stops but also cause margin calls. These are not investing buyers per se but they have to buy.

That's not public. But one guess could be that someone with money owned the short sellers.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/amd/short-interest

I wonder, how many algo trading happens in AMD. I think, it's not that much (other than caused by broader algos just having $AMD included on their long lists). But of course, there were a lot of shorts. And even without too big buyers there (will definitely have a look at the T&S data), such a buying spree and dip buying might have prevented moving the price down a bit. Could you stop 3 rolling trains with your hands?

Tuna-Fish

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2011
Everyone is attributing this jump mostly to the Chinese deal, but I heard an interesting another theory.

Apparently, Intel stopped the contra revenue / Atom marketing program that they tried use to gain market share in tablets and that was instead used mostly to sell cheapo netbooks, mostly in poorer countries. The real price of an Atom CPU to an integrator more than tripled, and a lot of people expect that AMD can now pull in a lot more revenue and profit at the very low end of x86.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Not surprising. A lot of those crap machines (notebooks, set top boxes, "desktops" etc) with Baytrail-T hurt AMD in numerous ways. Clearing out that crap would stabilize their low end products.

That being said, that's some crazy volatility in AMD's stock. It could make them or break them.

Aug 11, 2008
Well, it has long been known that intel was supposed to be ending contra revenue. This is a fairly low profit segment, and AMD is phasing out cat cores anyway, are they not?

I think it is a combination of the chinese deal, new consoles/refresh coming sooner than expected, and Zen/Polaris in the pipeline. That and the guidance that they might actually turn a profit.

It is an amazing jump, but still, they are only back to historical 2013/2014 levels.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
"High" is relative. And todays end action might mean, that some gave up waiting for lower prices to get in or cover.
p.php

For the >100 Mio. shorted AMD shares (at least before today) such a dramatic change might cause some trouble, not only hit stops but also cause margin calls. These are not investing buyers per se but they have to buy.

I wonder, how many algo trading happens in AMD. I think, it's not that much (other than caused by broader algos just having $AMD included on their long lists). But of course, there were a lot of shorts. And even without too big buyers there (will definitely have a look at the T&S data), such a buying spree and dip buying might have prevented moving the price down a bit. Could you stop 3 rolling trains with your hands?

It's poetic justice isn't it. Professionals shorting have taken money from private people for so long. Now someone bigger bullied them and took their money :)

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Everyone is attributing this jump mostly to the Chinese deal, but I heard an interesting another theory.

Apparently, Intel stopped the contra revenue / Atom marketing program that they tried use to gain market share in tablets and that was instead used mostly to sell cheapo netbooks, mostly in poorer countries. The real price of an Atom CPU to an integrator more than tripled, and a lot of people expect that AMD can now pull in a lot more revenue and profit at the very low end of x86.
Well that's the truth, isn't it? And yet many here were denying the glaringly obvious!

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
You better get those stocks before they go up to double digits ;).

Feb 19, 2009
Shouldn't go much higher...

Unless Polaris and then later Zen is awesome.

Congrats to anyone who jumped onboard, +50% in one day is insane for a stock. I nearly bought them early yesterday but too much of a coward... :(

poohbear

Platinum Member
Mar 11, 2003
So...u guys think it's overbought? Or are some stragglers gonna jump in on Monday?

positivedoppler

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2012
Not surprising. A lot of those crap machines (notebooks, set top boxes, "desktops" etc) with Baytrail-T hurt AMD in numerous ways. Clearing out that crap would stabilize their low end products.

That being said, that's some crazy volatility in AMD's stock. It could make them or break them.

That would be the smartest thing Intel could do. Imagine if all the luxury brands started selling cheap handbags to women and they realize they don't need a $500+ purse anymore. Intel's push into the low end bought them a lot of short term profit the past few years at the expense of AMD, but now they're paying the piper.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Well if it kills the super cheap tablet market out of China and Korea I'll be disappointed

Feb 19, 2009
Anandtech has an article up.

AMD/THATIC aren't working on cheap x86 SOCs, but high performance HPC/Server grade.

ps. There's ATI in THATIC. ;)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That would be the smartest thing Intel could do. Imagine if all the luxury brands started selling cheap handbags to women and they realize they don't need a $500+ purse anymore. Intel's push into the low end bought them a lot of short term profit the past few years at the expense of AMD, but now they're paying the piper.

Wellll Intel didn't quite get what they expected. They aimed Baytrail-T at the ARM tablet market and they clipped AMD "by accident" when OEMs started using the subsidized hardware in ways not intended by Intel. That whole situation with contra-revenue destabilized the tablet market and screwed up some other stuff. Hopefully it'll settle down. Unfortunately Intel is now dumping "free" Cherry Trails on Huawei if I recall correctly (Intel gives them a free one every time Huawei buys Core-series notebook hardware from Intel).

So who isn't on the hype train?

Me. I saw the deal there last August when AMD was trading at less than $2 per share but really, it's so volatile . . . unless you can watch the stock all day long or unless you're buying to hold, it just seems like a mess.

Well if it kills the super cheap tablet market out of China and Korea I'll be disappointed

The $70-and-less tablets are kind of fun, aren't they? But they can't last. Well okay, Intel could make them last awhile longer, but the board probably wouldn't tolerate that.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The $70-and-less tablets are kind of fun, aren't they? But they can't last. Well okay, Intel could make them last awhile longer, but the board probably wouldn't tolerate that.

Cherry Trail (or Goldmont?) sequel to the "HP Stream 7"? That would be cool, if it showed up for under $120 USD.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I will make a prediction, the stock will fluctuate from Monday and it will go down eventually until Q2 2016 results.

deasd

Dec 31, 2013
I doubt AMD would license anything about chip design to chinese, because even AMD have to license to Intel to make custom x86 chips, so, what does this chinese company do? Make interconnection about HPCs? Or just a contract that acquire cheaper chips from AMD?

happyflow

Apr 23, 2016
I will make a prediction, the stock will fluctuate from Monday and it will go down eventually until Q2 2016 results.

We'll see. Personally I think it will go to $4.20 levels and stay afloat of $4 until next earnings release. Depending on how certain news unfold (Zen performance, Fujitsu JV, Polaris, new consoles), it will climb further or drop again. Also we have to see Intel's reaction on the China deal, which could send AMD down sharply.

Anyway, good time for AMD investors and the guys who believed in Dr. Su and her team!