AMD Ryzen (Summit Ridge) Benchmarks Thread (use new thread)

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
It's painfully clear you have no idea what you are talking about. AMD has almost no marketshare. People don't even recommend AMD for budget systems anymore.... Take your naive conservatism elsewhere. It doesn't apply in the real world!
Well tbh not many people, in my part of the world, know about AMD & I suspect it's the same in most parts of the developing world. So even if AMD were to sell 100$ ryzen cpu's most people wouldn't buy them, firstly because they don't know (much) about AMD but more importantly Intel's marketing $$ would simply drown that product in a sea of blue. What you're saying probably applies more to laptops or APU rather than ryzen, in fact I'd be happy to see an AMD branded octa core (SR7) CPU+RAM+mobo for ~1000$ or so. Now anything less would be welcome but I suspect bargain hunters would just buy the cheapest Intel alternative on a steal deal or something.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
There certainly can be covenants in the loan about stock price, but ultimately stock price doesn't make a company credit worthy.
No, I think it does. A quick search on Google will provide some good explanations. My old company CFO explained it to me at a Christmas party a number of years ago so I’ve forgotten the details. It was pretty complicated how it all worked and I was left with the feeling that how Wall Street sees things has no resemblance to reality.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Well tbh not many people, in my part of the world, know about AMD & I suspect it's the same in most parts of the developing world. So even if AMD were to sell 100$ ryzen cpu's most people wouldn't buy them, firstly because they don't know (much) about AMD but more importantly Intel's marketing $$ would simply drown that product in a sea of blue. What you're saying probably applies more to laptops or APU rather than ryzen, in fact I'd be happy to see an AMD branded octa core (SR7) CPU+RAM+mobo for ~1000$ or so. Now anything less would be welcome but I suspect bargain hunters would just buy the cheapest Intel alternative on a steal deal or something.

When is the last time you saw an intel ad? I haven't seen one in years outside of a convention.

The point is they have to change that mindset, and they cannot do that by asking asinine margins for their CPUS. $900 for an 8 core zen is a joke price!

These are dated CPUs too! Haswell-E, which they will likely compete with, will have been out about 3 years by the time Zen hits the market. They cannot cut 5% off the price of intel's CPU for a 3 year old CPU, and expect people to go for it. It will never happen!

No one is going to pay $360 for a 4790k!
No one is going to pay $400 for a 5820k!

People could have bought a 5820k on sale for $300 2 years ago. 6700k's are dropping to $300 on sale.

Last edited:

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
When is the last time you saw an intel ad? I haven't seen one in years.
I see it all the time, in India, in fact I haven't seen an AMD ad over here ever & it's always Intel inside, whenever I've seen one for PC or laptops.
The point is they have to change that mindset, and they cannot do that by asking asinine margins for their CPUS.

These are dated CPUs too! Haswell-E, which they will likely compete with, will have been out about 3 years by the time Zen hits the market. They cannot cut 5% off the price of intel's CPU for a 3 year old CPU, and expect people to go for it. It will never happen!
That goes without saying but it's not like they're selling last year's tech at inflated prices. If the SR7 is fairly competitive with 6900K then 700~800$ is where I think it'll debut, obviously the AM4 mobo prices will also determine how much overcharging AMD can get away with. But if they were to introduce it as a really cheap alternative then they'll just be shooting themselves in the foot, I'm certain Intel will counter AMD with their own price cuts & so AMD needs to make as much money as they possibly can with the early batches.

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
A monster Zen APU could actually be a legit as hell thing. Full blown GPU/CPU with HBM on die. Holy crap what would that be like?

The Zen APU for consumer desktops and notebooks will come towards the end of 2017 as its most likely Zen+Vega. There are rumours about a 1024 sp GPU portion with HBM2 on package.

http://www.bitsandchips.it/52-english-news/7622-rumor-two-versions-of-raven-ridge-under-development

AMD has already confirmed a Zen server APU for servers with HBM2. My guess is that will also come towards end of 2017 or early 2018.

The rumoured specs are 16C/32T Zen and Vega GPU
http://www.bitsandchips.it/9-hardware/5858-amd-exascale-heterogeneous-processor
http://wccftech.com/amd-exascale-heterogeneous-processor-ehp-apu-32-zen-cores-hbm2/

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
I see it all the time, in India, in fact I haven't seen an AMD ad over here ever & it's always Intel inside, whenever I've seen one for PC or laptops.
Regardless, they won't make more money by charging asinine prices for their products like intel does. That won't work... They can price their 8 core at $900, but no one aside from a few dozen, foaming at the mouth, fanboys would buy it, and their brand name will slip further into the mud.

Don't forget that AMD is in a terrible deal with GF as well. They have to buy so many wafers, regardless if they can use them or not. Being greedy and hoping for asinine margins would spell doom for AMD!

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Yup it really does seem this way,they took 16 cores and are calling them 8 cores with SMT...

Will you please stop posting this fud and nonsense, it is getting tiresome.
It seems like you completely missed the Hot Chips official revealing of Zen done by one of the chief engineers on the project.
Let us get things straight again. Facts:
1) Zen is a wide OoO core and is not a fusion of two cores. If you like you can call it a super-duper beefed up K10-like core with 4x load store BW, 33% more ALUs, humongous cash subsystem (in terms of both BW and capacity) longer pipeline and "neural net branch predictor" among other things.
2) Zen has no CMT, it has SMT implementation that uses various algorithms for sharing of the inner parts of a single core.
3) Zen uses FP co-processor model, akin to K8/K10 uarchitecture. That is why distributing 2 threads on this type of a core may yield great(er) performance uplifts in SMT friendly code.

Reactions: USER8000 and sirmo

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Best advertising is word of mouth, 4C 8T Ryzen CPU beating a Core i5 at the same or lower price is what AMD needs for people to start talking and recommending those CPUs.

They need a wowww effect, i hope they will deliver in Q1 with ZEN and not make the same mistake they did last year with Fury X/Nano.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Regardless, they won't make more money by charging asinine prices for their products like intel does. That won't work... They can price their 8 core at $900, but no one aside from a few dozen, foaming at the mouth, fanboys would buy it, and their brand name will slip further into the mud.

Don't forget that AMD is in a terrible deal with GF as well. They have to buy so many wafers, regardless if they can use them or not. Being greedy and hoping for asinine margins would spell doom for AMD!
So what's the price that this market will tolerate, what's the optimum amount a non AMD fan should pay for 6900K of performance?
I see this argument kind of like the one in VC&G & many other forums, where people want AMD to lower their prices just so they can buy Nvidia for cheap!

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
I seriously doubt it will perform as well as a 6900k, unless you are interested in running blender. The final pricing will depend on the real performance, and atm, Idk. If it performs the way I think it does, then I would imagine their black edition 8 core will be priced at like $500-600.

As I said before, intel's 6900k is overpriced by $600, because they have a monopoly on the market. The 8 core should have dropped down to the $600 range when the 10 core broadwell-e came out.

What should have happened,

6800k - Gone
6850k - $400
6900k - $600
6950x - $1000-1100

Best advertising is word of mouth, 4C 8T Ryzen CPU beating a Core i5 at the same or lower price is what AMD needs for people to start talking and recommending those CPUs.

They need a wowww effect, i hope they will deliver in Q1 with ZEN and not make the same mistake they did last year with Fury X/Nano.

Agreed. it's cheap, and very effective. I bet I have sold 100s of CPUs on reddit.

If AMD has a great product at a good price, then it will advertise itself!

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I seriously doubt it will perform as well as a 6900k, unless you are interested in running blender. The final pricing will depend on the real performance, and atm, Idk. If it performs the way I think it does, then I would imagine their black edition 8 core will be priced at like $500-600.

As I said before, intel's 6900k is overpriced by $600, because they have a monopoly on the market. The 8 core should have dropped down to the $600 range when the 10 core broadwell-e came out.

6800k - Gone
6850k - $400
6900k - $600
6950x - $1000-1100

yeap, Intel created another tier for the 6950X instead of lowering the 8 Core to $600. Same thing NVIDIA did with Titan.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
I seriously doubt it will perform as well as a 6900k, unless you are interested in running blender. The final pricing will depend on the real performance, and atm, Idk. I would imagine their black edition 6900k will be priced at like $600.

6800k - Gone
6850k - $400
6900k - $600
6950x - $1000-1100
What happens to the regular i3, i5 & i7's of the world then? Intel probably makes more money annually from their IGP equipped chips than two years worth of sales from the HEDT line.
You think it's realistic to expect a virtual monopoly to be so benevolent? This doesn't even take into account how AMD will accommodate the quad core IGP less chip, assuming they release one.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
They seem to be pretty close in Blender. Handbrake is actually a tool I do use occasionally. Would really love to see how it performs using FPGA synthesis tools (but probably won't know this until I get my hands on it, might post some benchmarks on it), or large gcc compilation tasks.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
I seriously doubt it will perform as well as a 6900k, unless you are interested in running blender.

6800k - Gone
6850k - $400
6900k - $600
6950x - $1000-1100
Yes and then they can drop the price of the 1151 desktop models
and then they can drop the price of the E3 and E5's
and then they can scrap Xeon D because theirs no point anymore
and then When the APU's come out they can drop the price on all the laptop parts as well.

All while AMD probably can't hit 10% of intels production total.
At the end of the Day intel massively slashes its profit forecast/result, no one at intel gets paid a bonus, share price takes a big hit and all the CxO's get fired.

Its not 2003 anymore its not massive growth everywhere, markets are ranging from slow growth to full reverse. Add on top of that thax to bad bond returns and low interest rates many people have had to up their investment risk profiles and moved to shares, as a result these investors want higher dividends ( and they have been getting them).

Intel will do whatever makes them the most money( because the dividends are demanded ), That could even be to not respond on price at all.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
I agree I think it mostly applies to casual shoppers who don't do much research. People who buy prebuilt. But folks who dedicate themselves to build a PC from scratch will definitely do at least some basic research. I mean you're already dedicating time to it, the whole point is that you can cherry pick the components that best fit your needs.

This is even more true on the CPU side than the GPU side. On the GPU side one might just go with Nvidia, but planning a full system build requires some more research. Also let's not forget the situation AMD is in pre-Ryzen. Their CPU market share could not be any lower. Only way for them to go from here is up. I mean they have literally hit rock bottom in the CPU market.

KTE

May 26, 2016
I agree I think it mostly applies to casual shoppers who don't do much research. People who buy prebuilt. But folks who dedicate themselves to build a PC from scratch will definitely do at least some basic research. I mean you're already dedicating time to it, the whole point is that you can cherry pick the components that best fit your needs..
The problem with that is you're suggesting humans are typically rational, logical and reasonable beings. Look around you. Sadly, they're not

They're impulsive, conformist, scared of being different, socially sheep, pretentious and given to little thought.

Enthusiasts are given to the thoughtful processes you mention but most small store PC sellers unfortunately aren't. In Asia and EMEA. Can't say for other worldly parts these days.

Most humans will try and get away with anything they can.

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)

Reactions: Dresdenboy

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
The problem with that is you're suggesting humans are typically rational, logical and reasonable beings. Look around you. Sadly, they're not
You're right of course, but I'd wager in every group there are at least 30% (out of my derriere) people who are at least somewhat rational. And people do tend to pay attention when their own money is at stake.

KTE

May 26, 2016
You're right of course, but I'd wager in every group there are at least 30% (out of my derriere) people who are at least somewhat rational. And people do tend to pay attention when their own money is at stake.
If they could benefit monetarily, hell yeah that would come first!

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
Lisa has stated the first goal is to capture double digit marketshare for enterprise/server/datacenter. They are currently <1% so they seem to be targeting 10-15% possible in the next 12 months ( cant remember if she said this was a 2017 goal or not). They won't be able to do this by marketing with price parity even with performance is similar. They will undercut their competitors while still maintaining vastly improved margins than they have been in the past few years.

So many black or white arguments on this board. People do realize that they can both gobble up market share with aggressive pricing WHILE vastly increasing margins right? Once the appropriate market share is obtained and customer relationships are more secure then they can begin to price up closer to whichever market incumbents are pricing.

A Zen 8c/16t at $400-500 will give them insanely improved margins all while appearing extremely attractive to system builders and OEMs alike. Another under mentioned fact is that I don't see AMD disabling SMT artificially as Intel as has seen fit to do for so many years so any 4c part they release I fully expect to be an 8 thread part. Even if IPC per core is 5% lower I think a 4c/8t Zen part that clocks a bit higher than the 8c versions at $150-200 will also attract a large demographic itself.

Exciting times ahead, boys!

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Good points swilli89. I'm now expecting Zen to basically be Broadwell-E class core more or less. We have two different workloads now in both of which Zen is either on par or better(Handbrake) Vs similarly clocked Broadwell-E 8C/16T part. AMD has to get the Turbo in at least 3.9-4Ghz range so that the ST part of the performance story follows the MT part. If they manage to do that , they will sell sh*t load of 500$ 8C parts by the end of 2017.

edit:2016->2017

Last edited:
Reactions: swilli89

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
Yes and then they can drop the price of the 1151 desktop models
and then they can drop the price of the E3 and E5's
and then they can scrap Xeon D because theirs no point anymore
and then When the APU's come out they can drop the price on all the laptop parts as well.

All while AMD probably can't hit 10% of intels production total.
At the end of the Day intel massively slashes its profit forecast/result, no one at intel gets paid a bonus, share price takes a big hit and all the CxO's get fired.

Its not 2003 anymore its not massive growth everywhere, markets are ranging from slow growth to full reverse. Add on top of that thax to bad bond returns and low interest rates many people have had to up their investment risk profiles and moved to shares, as a result these investors want higher dividends ( and they have been getting them).

Intel will do whatever makes them the most money( because the dividends are demanded ), That could even be to not respond on price at all.
That's a nice story, but Intel likely won't drop prices, so I am not sure what you are going on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.