AMD Ryzen (Summit Ridge) Benchmarks Thread (use new thread)

Page 259 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Not on par with the higher-clocked Kaby Lakes, though? (most importantly 7700K and its 4,5 GHz turbo).

In the reviews, people might also rag on Ryzen due to stuff like less PCI Express lines, only few PCIE 2.0 lines from chipset, lower memory bandwidth... I bet people will quote USB and SATA controller performance as downsides even, if it ends up worse than with Intel :)
I doubt RyZen will be criticized for it's clock for clock ST performance compared to Intel, if the leaks are accurate.

I also doubt there will be any major criticisms of the rest. They will evaporate if the chip performs well and costs less, and it looks like that is the case.

Jun 19, 2012
When I get a 6 core 12 thread Ryzen CPU with a GTX 1070 and 8gb 2133 ram. I will benchmark it under Linux. I will upload to YouTube as well as text results here. GPU acceleration will be disabled

I plan to benchmark

KDENLIVE with multithreaded rendering with 4k video, plus single threaded rendering.

Blender rendering a 3d animation to a video.

Virtual machines, how many virtual machines can it run at once.

Compiling applications from source

Any other multithreaded applications under Linux I could test?

Last edited:

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Where did you get that idea?
Why would I be smug about not buying Broadwell, Skylake, and Kabylake, if I thought the post was fake and Zen was weak?
You should really read the whole thread before jumping in.
I did read it, maybe I've just misunderstood what you meant.

Playing devil's advocate here. This benchmark seems legit, though is not 100% comparable to BDW-E since the XFR is in play here. The screenshot shows 3.9 Ghz, but I highly suspect that wasn't the highest it went during the benchmark. God knows what is the real clock when the benchmark was running.
Except we have already had 6C/12T Ryzen ES scoring 146pts at 3.7Ghz which fits perfectly with 154pts @ 3.9Ghz

Reactions: Drazick

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
You don't think 2/25 just after midnight might be significant?

We have all heard it's 2/28, right?
Well Linus (from YT) said in his lats podcast (Sunday IIRC ) that he will be away for 3 days during this week on some "event". Seems like this might be it, anything is possible.

OrangeKhrush

Feb 11, 2017
Again from source overclocking stable from 3.8~ is unrewarding, the silicon is temperamental to high voltage. A 3.8 all core OC is pushing it

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
122735qgozp6o6swrox6cr.png.thumb.jpg

122820nkce6mx3tmff7gk1.png.thumb.jpg

Ill be upgrading to a 1700X an ASUS X370 motherboard. Im expecting a big jump in my performance. Especially since I have been using a FX 8120 Bulldozer....since launch day. Will be going from 8GB of ram to 16GB also. And from a GTX760 to either a R9 Fury or something from Vega.

I've been on this FX cpu too long already.

Edit: Not sure I want to use the H80 I have to cool it. May not even be compatible with AM4. What is out there now as in an aircooler or H80 style cooling that will suffice ?

Recommendations ?

Last edited:

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
I think we just misunderstood each other. Of course ultimately gaming benchmarks decide but show me a gaming benchmark were the 7700k or 6700k do not win or were a 6+ core CPU actually beats them. You can count those on 1 hand. Only one that comes to mind is BF1. But that's single-player only.

Yep, I agree. I just wanted to stress that syntetics on ST are useless for gaming (and for the majority of use cases) :D

Hahaha this thread is approaching FTL speeds.. we may actually invent time travel here :).

TBH I'm currently in plaid zone.

Reactions: sirmo

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
A good old times were back dating a system could trick out stupid license expiration dates.

Now the trick is to make a reg backup, install the demo version of some software, run it once, make another registry backup, then find where the app is tracking its dates by using a diff of the two backups...

Then disable write permissions for that location in the registry (or delete it prior to expiration, whichever is better for the given app).

This allowed me to test some heavily overpriced applications for longer to see if they were worth the price.

So so many apps should only cost $20 but are $100... So many missed sales.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Ill be upgrading to a 1700X an ASUS X370 motherboard. Im expecting a big jump in my performance. Especially since I have been using a FX 8120 Bulldozer....since launch day. Will be going from 8GB of ram to 16GB also. And from a GTX760 to either a R9 Fury or something from Vega.

I've been on this FX cpu too long already.

An original Bulldozer? Not even Piledriver? You got some serious mileage out of that one. Hat off, and expect a massive performance jump.

My HTPC PC is still Piledriver based (6800K). I might get around to upgrading it once Raven Ridge hits. If funds allow.

Edit: Not sure I want to use the H80 I have to cool it. May not even be compatible with AM4. What is out there now as in an aircooler or H80 style cooling that will suffice ?

Recommendations ?

The stock Wraith cooler is surprisingly effective. Unless you're doing serious overclocking, or really want watercooling, its more then enough.

Reactions: looncraz

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
They are probably doing a review and want further samples in the future, or borrowed the sample from someone who is, and are covering their tracks to protect them.
To break a nda you need to sign one in first place. You think these guys signed with amd?

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Looks good, will be nice to have another option again. I'd relax on the 'year of AMD' and 'intel is done' talk though lol.

I'm more interested in CPU and motherboard pricing... right now a 7700k w/decent mobo is ~$450 (Microcenter for me). Hoping to see Ryzen shake it up!

Then again... my i5 2500k is fine so what do I care. I'll happily jump over to Ryzen if its great or pick up a cheaper (thanks to AMD) Kaby Lake eventually.

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
To break a nda you need to sign one in first place. You think these guys signed with amd?
There's rarely an official paper of sorts you have to sign, it's usually an agreement built on trust.
You break that NDA, the company will no longer send you review samples.

Reactions: Doom2pro

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
An original Bulldozer? Not even Piledriver? You got some serious mileage out of that one. Hat off, and expect a massive performance jump.

Yep, an original Bulldozer in sig. Been using it from Jan 2012 to present. So yep, it is time. :)

Usually I keep a GPU for at least two years before upgrading. And I keep CPU's any where between 2 to 4 years.

Reactions: sirmo

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016

As I said, either they did, or someone else did and they are borrowing their sample. I presume part of the NDA is not to share it with third parties.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
As I said, either they did, or someone else did and they are borrowing their sample. I presume part of the NDA is not to share it with third parties.

NDAs are actually rare. Reviewers agree, usually by email these days, to not release date until AMD releases a review embargo. If you re in such a position, you will usually do your best no to violate the embargo because it will hurt your ability to get review samples every again (and not just from the one company you crossed...).

No telling how these people got a 1700X, but it seems pretty clear they did.

Reactions: IEC
Status
Not open for further replies.