AMD Ryzen Gen 2 Set For Q2 2018

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 15, 2017
I expect demand for ryzen & epyc to be so much, AMD can get away with tsa (? that wafer agreement). And has decided to go back with TSMC on gpus.

Strong buy for amd share ;)

Reactions: DarthKyrie

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I'm just going to have to patiently wait for Ryzen 2's launch in April. As you can see in my sig below it's about time to upgrade from my old i5.

I was going to upgrade to a Ryzen 1600 but i'm not in any hurry and would rather get a Ryzen 2 with higher clockspeeds.

Can't wait personally. Already have a nice new G.Skill 16GB Ripjaws 3000MHz kit and a new EVGA Supernova G2 650Watt Gold PS waiting! :)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Let's just hope AMD does a better job with board availability this year. I would hate for brand new Ryzen 2 buyers to have to get old X370 boards.

CPU availability was pretty good so as long as they continue to execute we'll all be fine.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
I'm just going to have to patiently wait for Ryzen 2's launch in April. As you can see in my sig below it's about time to upgrade from my old i5.

I was going to upgrade to a Ryzen 1600 but i'm not in any hurry and would rather get a Ryzen 2 with higher clockspeeds.

Can't wait personally. Already have a nice new G.Skill 16GB Ripjaws 3000MHz kit and a new EVGA Supernova G2 650Watt Gold PS waiting! :)
u mean ryzen + launch in april right? Ryzen 2nd is 7nm which is not the one launching in april.
Also i dont see why a 4690k needs upgrading just yet.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Let's just hope AMD does a better job with board availability this year. I would hate for brand new Ryzen 2 buyers to have to get old X370 boards.

CPU availability was pretty good so as long as they continue to execute we'll all be fine.

The release is a month later than last year, where mobo manufacturers complained that they were too busy with 2** line from Intel and then the Chinese new year to work on AMD boards. The platform as a whole is unchanged. The chipset itself is probably drop in compatible and outside adding features to X470 and B450, I suspect the rest of the chipsets to be a rebrand. Which means Mobo companies can work with one or two new X470 boards and then just use the new chips on older more mature boards to fill out the rest of the lineup.

xblax

Feb 20, 2017
The release is a month later than last year, where mobo manufacturers complained that they were too busy with 2** line from Intel and then the Chinese new year to work on AMD boards. The platform as a whole is unchanged. The chipset itself is probably drop in compatible and outside adding features to X470 and B450, I suspect the rest of the chipsets to be a rebrand. Which means Mobo companies can work with one or two new X470 boards and then just use the new chips on older more mature boards to fill out the rest of the lineup.

The AMD release conflicts with the release of cheap Coffee Lake Intel boards this time. Hopefully AMD has a better standing with the mainboard manufacturers now. What I dont't really understand is why the new Chipsets are not released a bit earlier whenever manufacturers have their boards ready. That would be a good way to ensure that the shops are properly stocked when Ryzen 2nd Gen is released.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
The AMD release conflicts with the release of cheap Coffee Lake Intel boards this time. Hopefully AMD has a better standing with the mainboard manufacturers now. What I dont't really understand is why the new Chipsets are not released a bit earlier whenever manufacturers have their boards ready. That would be a good way to ensure that the shops are properly stocked when Ryzen 2nd Gen is released.
Who says they don't? Even the Motherboard manufacturers that got angry at AMD last time basically said that they didn't work on the AM4 boards when they could have because they prioritized the Intel boards and then wound down for the Chinese New Year. They thought they would have had more time post coming back from break. It was on AMD for pushing the release up about a Month last year but realistically it was the Motherboard manufacturers underestimating demand and over prioritizing Intel products that limited the availability.

None of this should be an issue this year considering nearly the same chipset. Same platform. An extra month to work on the boards.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I just hope the new mini ATX boards aren't as slow to arrive as they were for the b370 boards.

I've got the memory and the case, now sitting on 1 year old as I waited for those boards and well Vega...just need the rest of it. Still not sure what I'm going to do with GPU, if the unicorn Vega AIBs ever materialize in any real way.

I'm slightly concerned that my DDR4 3200 Memory would now be "too slow" for Ryzen+, but isn't it still 3200-3500 that is the sweet spot for current Ryzen chips?

Reactions: Drazick
May 11, 2008
I just hope the new mini ATX boards aren't as slow to arrive as they were for the b370 boards.

I've got the memory and the case, now sitting on 1 year old as I waited for those boards and well Vega...just need the rest of it. Still not sure what I'm going to do with GPU, if the unicorn Vega AIBs ever materialize in any real way.

I'm slightly concerned that my DDR4 3200 Memory would now be "too slow" for Ryzen+, but isn't it still 3200-3500 that is the sweet spot for current Ryzen chips?

For as far as i know, it still is. Althoug here and there some people get the ram to run higher.
I also ordered ram that starts at 2667MHz at 1.2V default setting and has an xmp profile for 3200MHz at 1.35V.
I am already happy if (when i finally receive it,grrrrr) the ram works flawlessly with the ryzen cpu 1600 i am going to buy.
According to AMD the cpu is specified to run ram at 2667MHz max at default 1.2V.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

DDR4-3200 should be fine. Most folks can't get a Ryzen to run memory faster than that. Shoot for CL 14 if you can get it.

I think plenty of people will be able to get RAM running faster than 3200 if they use b-die with Ryzen+, but I am not sure it will really hurt to stick to the "old" speed standard. It's good enough for Ryzen, and you will still get the anticipated increase in Fmax moving from Ryzen to Ryzen+.

Last edited:

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
u mean ryzen + launch in april right? Ryzen 2nd is 7nm which is not the one launching in april.
Also i dont see why a 4690k needs upgrading just yet.
Your getting confused.

Zen is the architecture codename...Ryzen is the consumer product.
Currently we are on zen 1 and Ryzen 1000.
April we go onto zen+ and Ryzen 2000.
2019 we go onto zen 2 and Ryzen 3000.
So on.

OrangeKhrush

Feb 11, 2017
If one assumes AMD has clock jumps and hypotheticate the CB15 results:

ST - assuming max ST turbo is 4.5ghz

~180-185 (comparable parts i7 4790K/ i7 6700K/ i7 7800X)

ST performance similar to devils canyon/broadwell marks a good boost in performance which should show up in gaming in particular.

MT - assuming all core is 4.1ghz

~2100 (comparable parts i7 7900X)

MT performance puts AMD parallelism much like SR did, an AMD 8 core matching Intels (then broadwell E 6950X) 10 cores leveraging AMD's already impressive scaling performance.

OrangeKhrush

Feb 11, 2017
This is just my hope for Ryzen 7 replacements in terms of clock speed and cost

1800X replacement - 4ghz base, 4.5ghz max turbo, 4.1ghz all core (may be higher though this is very conservative.) - $400

1700X replacement - 3.9ghz base, 4.4ghz max turbo, 4ghz all core - $340

1700 replacement - 3.6ghz base, 4ghz max turbo, 3.8ghz all core - $300

If they can offer that at the same or slightly less power it will be pretty sweet on the clockspeed side.

I haven't seen to much information on AMD's improvements to the IMC and Cache side, this remains the more interesting change than clockspeed to me. I am also interested in seeing what AMD means by better boost state, I opted for very conservative all cores but if AMD has extended its turbo ranges and allows for more play in all core and 1/2 core turbo clocks that will be a nice little cookie

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I am also interested in seeing what AMD means by better boost state
Shouldn't Precision Boost 2 explain most of that already? The change is pretty huge after all. Whereas previously the boosting cores were cut back in a binary way as soon as more cores became active, now the overall headroom is always considered and cores at high frequencies can stay there (or slow down comparably little) as long as additional cores are not active for too long eating away the available headroom.

Reactions: CatMerc

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
DDR4-3200 should be fine. Most folks can't get a Ryzen to run memory faster than that. Shoot for CL 14 if you can get it.

I think plenty of people will be able to get RAM running faster than 3200 if they use b-die with Ryzen+, but I am not sure it will really hurt to stick to the "old" speed standard. It's good enough for Ryzen, and you will still get the anticipated increase in Fmax moving from Ryzen to Ryzen+.

Well I already bought it a year ago, but yeah it's CL14. G Skill 2x 8gb. I think I paid ~$100? at the time. I've heard RAM prices have gone crazy since then and while I haven't checked, I assume that is a pretty good buy compared to today?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Well I already bought it a year ago, but yeah it's CL14. G Skill 2x 8gb. I think I paid ~$100? at the time. I've heard RAM prices have gone crazy since then and while I haven't checked, I assume that is a pretty good buy compared to today?

Check the price on PC part picker and be shocked.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
This is just my hope for Ryzen 7 replacements in terms of clock speed and cost

1800X replacement - 4ghz base, 4.5ghz max turbo, 4.1ghz all core (may be higher though this is very conservative.) - $400

1700X replacement - 3.9ghz base, 4.4ghz max turbo, 4ghz all core - $340

1700 replacement - 3.6ghz base, 4ghz max turbo, 3.8ghz all core - $300

If they can offer that at the same or slightly less power it will be pretty sweet on the clockspeed side.

I haven't seen to much information on AMD's improvements to the IMC and Cache side, this remains the more interesting change than clockspeed to me. I am also interested in seeing what AMD means by better boost state, I opted for very conservative all cores but if AMD has extended its turbo ranges and allows for more play in all core and 1/2 core turbo clocks that will be a nice little cookie
That would be perfect for me if the 1800x replacement are within those spec's and I would be quite happy with a $400 price but if I remember correctly I believe I paid $500 for my 1800x so I am guessing the price to be closer to that $500 mark.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Only because you bought an i5.
Intel CPUs past Haswell only need to be upgraded if you want to. Otherwise, you already get great performance.

How would Ryzen 2 with +500mhz significantly change your experience compared to your current CPU?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Only because you bought an i5.
Intel CPUs past Haswell only need to be upgraded if you want to. Otherwise, you already get great performance.

How would Ryzen 2 with +500mhz significantly change your experience compared to your current CPU?

For most of my tasks it probably wouldn't be significant. However i can still sell the i5 4690K, motherboard, and 16GB kit of ram to recoup a lot of the costs. And i'll finally be able to pickup a Samsung 960 EVO NVMe drive. :)

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
As someone who switched from a 6600K to a 1700, don't let the pretty benchmarks fool you. These are done on clean systems with nothing running in the background.

In a real use case where you have things running in the background (discord, YouTube playing music, maybe Windows decides it want to do some maintenance, etc), frametime variance can be hit quite hard on the 6600K.

Meanwhile Ryzen just chugs along since it has a lot of spare resources to deal with background tasks. There is a real and perceptible difference to using the two in a real world scenario.

Lovec1990

Feb 6, 2017
As someone who switched from a 6600K to a 1700, don't let the pretty benchmarks fool you. These are done on clean systems with nothing running in the background.

In a real use case where you have things running in the background (discord, YouTube playing music, maybe Windows decides it want to do some maintenance, etc), frametime variance can be hit quite hard on the 6600K.

Meanwhile Ryzen just chugs along since it has a lot of spare resources to deal with background tasks. There is a real and perceptible difference to using the two in a real world scenario.

Thats true, but if you are buying it today 8600k has 6 cores so it will be able too handle game and some background programs running