AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 180 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
I'm in awe every time I see a TR motherboard like that ready to rock, what a beast of a platform.

I can't even begin to think how ridiculous this platform will get once AMD upgrades TR to 7nm Ryzen 2, lots more clock speed, some more IPC and probably more cores on top of it. I can easily see this platform lasting more than 5 years if not more with these upgrades (why not Ryzen 3 based TR too around 2020 too), and still be ridiculously overpowered for almost anything you can throw at it!

Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile I'm working on this. Turns out my memory kit, being lower grade B-die, just needs more voltage than 3200C14/3466C15/3600C16 kits to do their magic. 1.45v is the magic number. 1.43v set in BIOS results in 1.45v measured at the board with a DMM.

This is 3200 14-14-14-28 1T no GD + tight subtimings (Stilt "safe" 3200 timings), it passed 6hs of google's stressapptest

99ad5fc5_c3UUzF.png

and this is 3466 15-15-15-35 1T no GD + tight subtimings (another of The Stilt's timings)

UItYBT.jpg

It passed around half an hour of P95 blend using 14GB of memory, looking good. I'll leave it stress testing overnight.

Now that's more like it! I've been looking around and it seems B-die doesn't have a problem running at those voltages for 24/7 use, especially when the memory has lots of airflow around. It is the case here, these memories have on board temp sensors, they don't read more than 35-36°C under load for hours, idling at 25-27°C.

Reactions: lightmanek and IEC

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
You can see him putting a lot of force even after the click. Just wackiness. Not sure why he thought he had to use all his might for it to be secure...
Worst part is, AMD *gave* them all that stuff, to "promo" it.
So, it wasn't their dime that they wasted, and then they laugh about it.
Look at those grins.

Reactions: lightmanek

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Thanx guys ! - will give it a try
If you didnt catch Hilberts ddr4 ram roundup end june comparing the progress from april to now give it a look:
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_agesa_1006_performance_update_review,8.html

"Battlefield 1 from day 1 was performing quite well with Ryzen. We can see that neither the memory or the processor tweak has a big enough effect on performance to be substantial. BTW you can see that BF1 benefits from quad-channel memory. "

"We can pass 30% performance on a Ryzen 7 1700 by tweaking the processor (edit: he mean oc) and using 2933 or 3200 MHz memory. With game performance at 1080p you at that point will have mostly eliminated any significant enough CPU bottleneck."

I think its interesting that its the old dx9 derivatives that show a sizable difference. It seems games like bf1 have next to no impact. I will eat my hat if its not the same for doom. We are far away from beeing memory limited here.
So yes for older games it was important for Ryzen to get there, but for the future dx 12/ vulcan mt games i think for gaming perf there is not much more to gain with better latency.

Btw. remember that the agesa 1.0.0.4 that Hilbert used had aldready shaved off 4-6ns latency of the launch agesa.
Would be interesting to see the results with launch bios.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The idiots do not know how to use a torque wrench WHICH AMD INCLUDES WITH THE CPU JUST FOR THIS REASON !
Well, all the torque wrenches/drivers I ever used wouldn't allow you to over-torque. You could keep going all you wanted, the tool always broke at the correct torque.

So, using the provided torque driver should completely prevent what happened in the video no matter how inept the user, shouldn't it?

Reactions: Drazick

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Well, all the torque wrenches/drivers I ever used wouldn't allow you to over-torque. You could keep going all you wanted, the tool always broke at the correct torque.

So, using the provided torque driver should completely prevent what happened in the video no matter how inept the user, shouldn't it?
Push down extra hard on the torque driver, and it will bind up the mechanism some, keeping it from breaking at the proper torque.

GeoDragon

Feb 1, 2017
Finally got to do a new build:

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor
GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-D3H AMD Ryzen AM4 B350
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB - changed to G.Skill 16GB (Dual Channel Kit) 3200MHz DDR4 Trident Z Desktop Memory (F4-3200C16D-16GTZB)
Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Corsair RMx Series, RM850x, 850W, Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified
DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 120EX
APEVIA X-QPACK3-WHT Micro ATX Cube Gaming/HTPC Case
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

Anyone having issues getting the Ram to get a higher speed than 2133? I am not able to figure it out, tried a few things I read but the board defaults back to 2133 every time.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0807
Add CBS item

What is that? It's a new update but that's all it says.

I have a really stupid question about the BIOS on this board.

Where do I adjust the core voltage? I am not a noob to overclocking but I have never messed with the voltage before and I can't seem to find any setting that is clearly marked as "core voltage." I bought it a couple weeks ago so I probably have the BIOS version before the one you mention in this post.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

They "break" but even my professional ones will let you over-tighten

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
I have a really stupid question about the BIOS on this board.

Where do I adjust the core voltage? I am not a noob to overclocking but I have never messed with the voltage before and I can't seem to find any setting that is clearly marked as "core voltage." I bought it a couple weeks ago so I probably have the BIOS version before the one you mention in this post.

I believe its right next to the DRAM voltage. Vcore.

Reactions: Christopher Bohling

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
https://community.amd.com/thread/219286
Ryzen Threadripper 1950X Won't Screw Into Socket - ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme X399 Motherboard
First THIS SHOULD BY IN THE THREADRIPPER BUILDERS THREAD. That said, I had a little problem with screw 1, but then screw 2 did not want to start. I pressed down on the area around the screw (it was in the case at the time) and then it started. I think if you do this before you put the motherboard in the case it will go better.

Edit: after watching the video, I don't think he had the cpu/orange holder installed in the correct slot.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OK, I thought I looked there but maybe I'm just FCUKIN BLIND I'll check again

Hes right its in the same screen as the Vram voltage/timings, CPU multiplier, you know all the OC stuff, its in the same screen. I think if memory serves its either right above or below the SOC voltage.

BradC

Apr 24, 2017
PRIME X370-PRO BIOS 0807
Add CBS item

What is that? It's a new update but that's all it says.

It adds the CBS menu which exposes all the AGESA tweaks that the RoG boards and other manufacturers boards already have. Some of the settings should help with overclocking the CPU and/or RAM if you are that way inclined.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
My Asus Prime Plus has CBS but doesn't show any P-State settings which I think many are wanting.

qWantUS

Aug 18, 2017
After six months of reading about Ryzen and having the desire to upgrade, I broke down and ordered some new components over the weekend. Everything else I'm recycling from my current build. It's a 4670k @ 4.6 for those who are curious.

Fed-Ex package should be arriving this afternoon. I decided on:

R7 1700 along with a Noctua NH-U14S cooler
Asus Strix B350-F Gaming motherboard
GSkill Trident Z (F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW) 16GB

Could use some advice on something--since this will be the first time I've recycled my boot OS drive from one build to another, should I wipe it prior to installation or would it be prudent to try and boot it with the new hardware first? Will drivers be an issue with Windows 10? I don't want to get pantsed by not having functional ethernet or something as equally annoying. I'm not using an optical drive these days.
Good memory choice, expensive but I am happy with it. On x370 strix +1800x and 16gb 3200cl14 running @ 3333cl14. Will try to push to 3466 @cl14 but need more time. Not sure about b350 but x370 has more than enough for successful overclocking. Running mine @4.1ghz
RGB is also nice addition as well, not too overwhelming, in s340 white standart case with custom made tinted glass side panel.

Also, I have a question for people who been using 1800x OC. What are your temps on load? I seem to be getting >65c and 28c idle. Mind you I have loads of cooling capacity. Custom loop with ek supremacy evo block +1080fe on full ek gpu water block after cpu in the loop. On CPU load @65c gpu reports 29-30c, radiator feels colder than the hand, its external radiator, massive, cooled by 6x200mm fans. 1800x running @4.1 1.425v (using offset of 0.075v). It's just very strange, reseated CPU block few times already using different gelid gc3 and grizzly, same outcome.. are these temps normal? Just feel too high taking in to consideration cooling capacity ant gpu temp which gets warmed water from CPU, and only reporting low temps... CPU block is also high performance.. maybe I am pushing ihs transfer limits...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Reactions: parkerface

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Also, I have a question for people who been using 1800x OC. What are your temps on load? I seem to be getting >65c and 28c idle. Mind you I have loads of cooling capacity. Custom loop with ek supremacy evo block +1080fe on full ek gpu water block after cpu in the loop. On CPU load @65c gpu reports 29-30c, radiator feels colder than the hand, its external radiator, massive, cooled by 6x200mm fans. 1800x running @4.1 1.425v (using offset of 0.075v). It's just very strange, reseated CPU block few times already using different gelid gc3 and grizzly, same outcome.. are these temps normal? Just feel too high taking in to consideration cooling capacity ant gpu temp which gets warmed water from CPU, and only reporting low temps... CPU block is also high performance.. maybe I am pushing ihs transfer limits...
You know about the +20C offset, for the 1700X and 1800X CPUs, right? Chances are, you forgot to subtract that.

What does the AMD Ryzen Master software say about temps?

Reactions: Drazick

qWantUS

Aug 18, 2017
You know about the +20C offset, for the 1700X and 1800X CPUs, right? Chances are, you forgot to subtract that.

What does the AMD Ryzen Master software say about temps?
These reading are all the same, hwinfo and master gives me same temp with 20c taken in to consideration

Was thinking to maybe try liquid pro liquid metal.. I have got some from 4790k delidding, feeling a little desperate

Last edited:

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Good memory choice, expensive but I am happy with it. On x370 strix +1800x and 16gb 3200cl14 running @ 3333cl14. Will try to push to 3466 @cl14 but need more time. Not sure about b350 but x370 has more than enough for successful overclocking. Running mine @4.1ghz
RGB is also nice addition as well, not too overwhelming, in s340 white standart case with custom made tinted glass side panel.

You aren't taking into account thermal dump from pump either. Also, 1.42v is pretty high. Your temperatures are right in line. No matter the cooling capacity of the radiator, you need to take into account thermal dump from the pump, how fast the pump is pushing, and how many volts you are running through your CPU.