AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 169 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
78Cº on average is a very good temp, running largeFFT P95, specially with really low rpm with your system fans. I would push those fans higher (~1200rpm), when prime or heavy loads. CPU temp will be even better, and VRM and other components temp should be clearly improved too
I opened the case up a bit more and played around with the fans. Got the MB temperature to a constant 35º at stock speeds, no matter what load (1.2xxv as well under load). If I OC at all, it will be between 50-55º even when idle and with P95 largeFFT it will go to 80º very quickly and over 100 on longer runs (20min ) so I'm still torn whether I'll keep the OC or not. In games it's perfectly normal though. Playing Witcher 3 @3.8Ghz barely puts it north of 50º, even though the voltage is 1.352v constantly.

The other thing i tried for the lulz and it just worked, was 3466MHz on memory with same timings and voltage to what it's rated to (@3200MHz), so it seems I got very lucky with that!
HTbdRKf.png

swCGqip.png

It works and is stable overall, but I get the suspicion that the USB timings are off because of it.(In Witcher, when loading games, the mouse or keyboard sometimes act funny, etc) And MSI gaming tool reports DDR frequency -1 :p . Will look into it later, perhaps i need to loosen the timings a bit.

Reactions: Drazick

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
I can only say: I just built myself a 1500X ITX system with 16GB of ram (running 2800 Mhz) because I was able to procure that CPU at about 100€ (A gift some dude got he didn't want...box wasn't even opened and I got the receipt for it, too...jackpot!)...and so far I cannot complain at all.

The board I got is a bit so-so (Biostar usually isn't my style...but it was the only one available)...but the system runs with 0 problems and the performance really holds up!

P.S. I'm even using the stock cooler...because vs. the Scythe Katana 4 that I had left over...it actually manages to compete well enough and overclocking on air in the ITX case I chose for the system would be a heat-death-nightmare, anyway...it's silent, too!

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Hey guys, Monoprice is selling the 1700X for $290 and the 1800X for $390 which are insane prices. I just need to figure out a low profile cooler and I'll be set - any recommendations?

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
I opened the case up a bit more and played around with the fans. Got the MB temperature to a constant 35º at stock speeds, no matter what load (1.2xxv as well under load). If I OC at all, it will be between 50-55º even when idle and with P95 largeFFT it will go to 80º very quickly and over 100 on longer runs (20min ) so I'm still torn whether I'll keep the OC or not. In games it's perfectly normal though. Playing Witcher 3 @3.8Ghz barely puts it north of 50º, even though the voltage is 1.352v constantly.

The other thing i tried for the lulz and it just worked, was 3466MHz on memory with same timings and voltage to what it's rated to (@3200MHz), so it seems I got very lucky with that!
HTbdRKf.png

swCGqip.png

It works and is stable overall, but I get the suspicion that the USB timings are off because of it.(In Witcher, when loading games, the mouse or keyboard sometimes act funny, etc) And MSI gaming tool reports DDR frequency -1 :p . Will look into it later, perhaps i need to loosen the timings a bit.

Not sure why you are worried about temps when running a synthetic/maximum load. In real world conditions, I highly doubt you are taxing your CPU to 100% 24/7. Right?

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
Hey guys, Monoprice is selling the 1700X for $290 and the 1800X for $390 which are insane prices. I just need to figure out a low profile cooler and I'll be set - any recommendations?

Why do I keep reading this thread? Bought the 1700x for the higher stock voltage ... maybe this will get me to 3.8-3.9ish while maintaining idle clock with p-states.

How low do you need the cooler to be? I use the Noctua 12cm tower which barely fits in my matx case, but I am guessing that's not low enough. The cooler that came with my 1700 was pretty good, and is "free" if you go that route. Those are $270 right now.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Why do I keep reading this thread? Bought the 1700x for the higher stock voltage ... maybe this will get me to 3.8-3.9ish while maintaining idle clock with p-states.

How low do you need the cooler to be? I use the Noctua 12cm tower which barely fits in my matx case, but I am guessing that's not low enough. The cooler that came with my 1700 was pretty good, and is "free" if you go that route. Those are $270 right now.

My case is the Riotoro CR1080 and I believe the cooler has to be smaller than 120 mm in height.

EDIT: Ordered the 1700x.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Since I bought a 1700X, I'm going to rebuild my old second server (Q6600 based) with the 1500x I'm replacing. Any recommendations for a cheap B350 board with 8+ SATA ports and good RAID options?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
They don't but you get the AM4 bracket for free once you submit the form with the invoice. There's a full compatibility list of coolers that have AM4 bracket options.

Yeah, I guess in this case, I can afford to wait a few days if they have to ship an AM4 bracket to me.

Now I'm wondering if I should use my Gaming K5 in the server rebuild and buy a nice Taichi for my 1700x - isn't it funny how things snowball?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
They don't but you get the AM4 bracket for free once you submit the form with the invoice. There's a full compatibility list of coolers that have AM4 bracket options.
But if its like others, they charge shipping. $7 for my EVO 212

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
Alright. First impressions of the Asus ROG Strix X370-F.

Just got it installed. Currently typing from it. Loaded 3200Mhz 14-14-14-34 DOCP. Zero problems. No cold boot issue either. Hallelujah! Currently tweaking the overclock. Starting @ 3925 1.3625 vcore. I need to give it some LLC to combat the droop. The quick runs I've done shows performance where it should be. I'll start ramping towards 4 GHz in a bit.

Other than that the board itself solid. Good PCB. I like the layout. Everything is accessible. The heatsinks on the VRMs are quite beefy although it would be nice if they had a heatpipe connecting them so they can work together. There is no Dr Debug on it, but it does have Asus's QLED system that will tell you if it's the CPU, RAM, VGA, or boot where you are stuck. Honestly that is good enough for most people. It certainly is for me. Another corner cut is that to clear the CMOS you have to short two pins with a piece of metal. There isn't even a jumper let alone a button. Not a huge deal, but jumpers have to be fractions of a cent. The only other weirdness is that HWMonitor and CPU-Z show the VCORE @ 0.654. HWInfo works. It also detects an Asus EC monitoring chip. Looks like the softwares need to be updated for the board.

Definitely a winner so far. I'll have to see how the VRM temps are an what not.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Newegg seems to have the Taichi on sale for $189.99 for a few more hours. Is that still regarded as the top AM4 board? How is it in terms of overclocking capabilities?

I believe it is. At least for overclocking in my opinion, it's top notch. Paired with a rock solid power supply, you can't go wrong with the stable voltages. I'd recommend this for an enthusiast build if you definitely plan on overclocking.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Thanks guys, I bought the Taichi and it looks like the RAM in my existing Ryzen box is on the QVL. I think I'll see if I can sell the Ryzen 1500x and Gigabyte Gaming K5 to my brother rather than build a new server.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
My memory is now running at 16gb at 3333mhz CAS14. Gigabyte k7 mobo with cpu at 3.9ghz.

This platform just keeps getting better and better for me.

How are the OC options on the K7? They aren't great on the K5 or at least weren't - I haven't looked at all the options on the latest BIOS update.